Not Really Feeling Anything...

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
When am I supposed to feel the kittens moving when my whole hand is placed on Fayola's abdomen? Is it normal not to feel the kittens moving? Does this mean she's have a small litter?

I have no idea how far along she is. I estimated her to be about 43 - 57 days into her pregnancy (based on her size and behaviour). She looked a lot rounder a few days ago but now, it looks like her belly is hanging lower. I placed one hand on her but couldn't feel any movement. Every time I touch her or call to her, look at her even, she starts purring which makes it difficult to feel anything.

She yowls and meows a lot at night time, seeming restless. I made her a nest under my bed which she wouldn't lay in until yesterday. Now, she's there 95% of the time.

Also, at what age does pregnancy for a cat become risky (it already is but more so)? For example, let's say a 12 year old cat got pregnant, how much harder is it for her to carry?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is your cat? Do you have plans to spay her after this litter? A spayed cat stays healthier and lives longer than a cat who is not spayed and has litter after litter.

It could be that your cat’s kittens have dropped lower down closer to the birth canal. This happens toward the end of pregnancy. You can’t necessarily see, hear, or feel the kittens move every day. Just let Mother Nature take its course.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a rescue I took in a week and 2 days ago. I don't know what my plans are going to be with her after the kittens are weaned. My mom asked about keeping her but I don't know yet.

I forgot to mention... she has no teeth. Like, no molars, nothing. Except for one and a half fangs which she doesn't use much so I'm not sure how she'll be able to cut the umbilical cord and eat the placenta.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she isn't 100% tame and doesn't fully trust me yet, would it be wrong to help her clean up the kittens and then weight them? I don't have an electric scale so I wouldn't be able to get a precise reading.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may have to help her. I'm posting this article again, it mentions tools to have;
Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth
Several of the things on this list are not necessary.
  • You do not need gloves for handling the kittens. It is fine to handle kittens with your clean hands.
  • You do not need "a suture removal set," sterile forceps, sterile scissors, or dental floss. If you need to cut the cord between a kitten and its placenta, wash your hands with soap and water. Pinch the cord between your fingers at least 1 inch away from the kitten, then cut/shred the cord with your clean fingernails. It's as simple as that.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I've been doing a lot of research and re-reading several articles over and over again. These are some of them.

I called my vet to ask questions. I explained the situation to them. They didn't really say anything in particular. Just the usual, "If something is out of the ordinary, come to us immediately." But Fayola seems pretty normal right now. Like I said, she's gotten noticeably bigger and I estimate she has another week to week and a half in her pregnancy. She's in my bedroom and I also check on her throughout the night so if anything is wrong, I'll be able to act quickly.