Not Really Feeling Anything...

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This was my girl like a week and a half before she gave birth. It's not the best pic but if you look at the head to body ratio you can see how massive she was!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise

She's been digging up her nest every single night for the past 4 days. Violently - it wakes me up at night. Every morning I check, it's arranged differently. Does this mean there will be something by the end of the week? Her nipples are also crusty with this yellow stuff.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Fayola has become quite aggressive when I approach her nest. I'm not allowed anywhere near it now and I'm also no longer allowed to touch her. She's spending all her time in there. I've bought all the supplies I need for the new arrivals but what am I to do in the event that she doesn't allow me to feed the babies?

I'm afraid she'll kill them if she feels threatened. Then again, she doesn't have teeth so I'm not sure how that would go.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Guys!! FAYOLA HAD KITTENS LAST NIGHT! I'M SHAKING. I walked into the room this morning to check on her and I saw little things suckling on her breast and I realized it was the kittens!

She ate the umbilical cord just fine but I haven't gotten close enough to see the placenta. She's purring a lot but I still don't want to get too close.

What should I do from here?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise

I couldn't get a better picture. I'm sorry. I'm afraid to get too close.

She has one placenta under her and it's still attached to one of the kittens. She tried to cut it but she couldn't because she has no teeth.

How do I know if she's done giving birth?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stay calm! Congrats!

How many kittens? Is it three?

You’ll need to pinch off the cord to separate the kitten from the placenta. Just make sure the it’s about one inch from the kitten’s naval. You can tie it with dental floss or thread first. Discard the placenta.

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
3 kittens and 3 placentas. She managed to cut one off but the other two are still attached. I tried to lure her out with food but the kittens are crying and feeding.

It's really messy in there. Not sure how to clean it. She was very very moody last night, more than usual. And my mom said she saw her mucus plug but didn't tell me.

Anyway, I'm going to try to get the placentas off.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The umbilical cord doesn't need to be tied with anything, just pinch / shred it with clean fingers and fingernails.

If she has settled down with the kittens and is peacefully nursing them, she is probably done having kittens, although sometimes moms will stop for a while and then have another kitten or two later.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, not seeing the kitten. But if it is nursing that's a good sign.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are large newborns!

Kittens are flexible and will nurse in strange positions. I wouldn't worry just from seeing the picture. But if it is always in that position, or can't straighten out its spine, I would try to get it examined by a vet.