Not Really Feeling Anything...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Fayola's milk has come in! :yess:

I was still concerned about her eyes so I sent a picture to the rescue. They said it looks like a flare up of feline herpesvirus. Should I worry about this with her kittens and Felix coming into contact? Could they contract anything from her? Does this mean Felix has herpes since he's her son? His eyes leak like Fayola's sometimes too but I never thought twice about it. This has been happening since before we rescued her though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did the rescue give you any eye ointment for when her eyes are inflamed? She looks like she needs it. Is she sneezing at all? How is her appetite?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the rescue give you any eye ointment for when her eyes are inflamed? She looks like she needs it. Is she sneezing at all? How is her appetite?
I asked for the terramycin antibiotic eye ointment (which they have at the rescue centre). Then, she asked to see pictures of her eyes and told me that it looks like herpesvirus and that I should just give her l-lysine.

She's not sneezing. She hasn't sneezed once since being here. Her appetite is high. But yesterday, she didn't eat much and today, she hardly touched her food. I figure it's because she's due in 2 - 3 days.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
So, last night, my mom went to check on her (she wants Fayola to get used to her being around too). She called to me and said Fayola was making a strange noise. I went into the room and she was laying down, didn't want to get up. Purring like crazy and her whole abdomen was contracting. That lasted about 1 - 2 minutes, maybe three. Then, throughout the night, she was restless. Busy all over the room. Today, she seemed fine. Eating, pooping, peeing, purring, all that. Then, she goes and lays down again and does the same thing she was doing last night. It looks like she's breathing heavy but it's very forceful and her whole belly is pushing downward. This time, it lasted about 5 minutes and it happened again shortly after the first episode but not as strong.

Does this mean her cervix is dilating? There isn't any discharge or anything. She just seems uncomfortable. OH! And a few days before this, Thursday I think, when I looked at her side, I could see movement from the kittens. Like, I could actually see them pushing on her from the inside out. It looked like a little bump and then it went down. Fayola got up and stretched and it moved around still.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to butt in but you said Felix is her son and he is around 9? He is neutered by now right? Because he can and will try to get her pregnant fairly quickly after she gives birth if not. Sorry if you said and I missed I just wanted to point that out.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to butt in but you said Felix is her son and he is around 9? He is neutered by now right? Because he can and will try to get her pregnant fairly quickly after she gives birth if not. Sorry if you said and I missed I just wanted to point that out.
Felix was neutered before he turned a year old.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I be concerned that she hasn't given birth yet? I feel like a failure because at the time I got her, she was still very early in her pregnancy it seems and now, it's probably too late to do anything. She probably should have just been spayed to begin with. But the rescue didn't make the vet appointment so I've been stuck with her all these weeks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As long as she shows no signs of distress consider things normal and that all is well. Your other alternative is to get a vet check. How many weeks have you had her?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she shows no signs of distress consider things normal and that all is well. Your other alternative is to get a vet check. How many weeks have you had her?
Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since I took her in.

I don't see any signs of distress. It just appeared like something was happening earlier in the week and now, silence. I can still see a lot of bulging and movement from the side of her abdomen.

A vet visit now would probably stress her out a lot. She doesn't like being handled. I can't even touch her some day because she'll be in a mood and won't allow me to feel her belly. And that is coming from me who has been her sole provider these 4 weeks. Taking her to a strange place with strange people wouldn't do any good right now.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once took in a cat that I was sure was pregnant and about to pop any second. A friend was feeding her but was unable to take her inside, and I didn't want her to have her babies outside. I made her comfortable in the spare bathroom, and waited. I could have sworn I saw and felt babies moving inside of her. Any time now! 8 weeks later I took her to the vet, he felt her up and said "she might be pregnant, wait a few weeks". Well, OK, I had already waited 8 weeks but whatever. I waited 3 more weeks and then had her spayed. She always had a fat tummy even after being spayed. So. . .:dunno:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's interesting... Perhaps it's a false pregnancy? Is that possible? Because her belly seemed so big when I first took her in which is why the rescue said to foster her until she has the babies. She seems to have gotten bigger but still no sign of anything at all.

I'm going to contact the rescue one more time and if they don't make a vet appointment, I'm going to take her to one myself out of pocket. I can't just sit around like this.

Update: Got in touch with the rescue. She won't make the appointment and told me to get in contact with animal services. Animals services tells me there is nothing they can do to help and my best bet would be to call around and see if any vet would be willing to take a quick look at her.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My best guess is that she still has at least a few days left. I went through this with the pregnant stray I took in. She was huge but no babies after several weeks, so I took her to the vet. The x-ray showed 4 kittens who the vet said had 7-10 more days to develop. Unbelievably, she got even bigger and the babies came 12 days later.

I understand your concerns since you have no idea her stage of gestation, but you probably just need to be patient.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl was MASSIVE when I got her. The shelter had her on birth watch for daaays before I got her. She didn't give birth until a full 2 weeks later. Absolutely no one could believe it.