Not Getting Emails For Posts

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But why do we have these problems NOW needing refreshing THE PAGE and so on.I have been receiving the new posts in my page for the last 8 years without any of these complications. I have tried refreshing the PAGE as indicarted but I'm not getting any positive results. HOW OFTEN ARE SUPPOSED TO REFRSH THE PAGE?

Can't we go back to the old situation which has worked so well for so many years?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to admit I was wondering that same thing, seems like things got wonky around maybe March this year, but I don't know....

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi golondrina golondrina :hugs:

I think the platform update and switchover took place about 16 months ago, so it's been like this since then. I've only been on TCS for three years, so I only know of the platform used just prior to the current one (not ones since 2011).

Do you think you are getting an email alert, and so then you go right away to visit the page again to see the new post in its thread - then, maybe after that, you go to other threads on TCS to read about other topics? Once you visit a thread after an email update, and then leave that thread to read up on other topics and posts elsewhere on the site, it resets the email alert for a watched thread so that you could get one more email when someone posts something new again after each of your visits.

It's kind of confusing - I am set up to get email alerts too with this newer platform, like you are, I think. I only know that I get one email update, and then after I visit the thread, I can get another email update, etc.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
" I only know that I get one email update, and then after I visit the thread, I can get another email update, etc." Hopefully, PushPurrCatPaws.

If I have to keep an eye on the alerts to "catch" the new posts I'm afraid I wont be participating as often as usual. And as I mentioned before the "page refreshing" hasn't change anything for me. I amvery disappointed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm afraid I wont be participating as often as usual.
I don't know if this will work for you, but there's that section of New Posts that I rely on a LOT (along with the Unanswered Threads section), --I personally sure would hate to see less of you :lovecat4:

Recent Posts | TheCatSite

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PushPurrCatPaws said:
"I think the platform update and switchover took place about 16 months ago, so it's been like this since then."

, If the platform update and switchover took place 16 months ago then they have nothing to do with my problem because up to a few days ago I was receiving the new posts in my mail page without any problem.

Furballsmom, thank you for your kind words and suggestion. I'm afraid the posts listed in the New Posts section is so long that it overfaces me. The posts that I watch are "lost" in the midddle of the unwatched ones. I very much appreciate your interest in my problem.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I view my web pages from 3 devices - iPhone, iPad and my MacBook.

When surfing Catsite, which is my main opened browser on all my devices, I open several tabs which I use most frequently. I disabled email alerts. I always refresh the home page and get to see new alerts or refresh the forum page and just look out for the eye icon or my avatar on the thread starter’s avatar as I’m watching that thread.

For the other new threads or threads with new replies, they are highlight in bold.

This is how I prefer to navigate Catsite :thumbsup:

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's important to note that TCS doesn't send you repeated notifications for a thread until you log back into the site. This is so we're not overloading your inbox. If you would like to receive a new update per thread or forum, I can help you get directions on how to subscribe to these to receive updates.

I just wanted to note the frequency that we send out emails is not "one new email notification per every new response" but rather "I get one new email notification per new post for threads I'm subscribed to but won't get another one until I log back into the site."

I hope that helps!
HellaSteph, I very much appreciate your interest in this problem. But all I want is to continue receiving the new posts of my watched threads in my email page as has been the case until a few days ago for many years. I am sorry but I don't understand that we must "log back into the site" to receive notifications for a thread. Why "log back"? or rather why log out in the first place at what moment should we log out? and how often?

By the way I do receive in my mail box highlighted in bold letters the new posts of a couple of threads such as "Cats in Boxes" the august contest and even this one. Why do the notifications work for these threads and not for the others?

I am sorry to trouble you with this problem. Many thanks for whatever you can do for me.

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HellaSteph, regardng my post 31 above to you unfortunately the new posts of thread "Cats in Boxes" that I listed as being shown in my email page are not shown anymore.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
golondrina golondrina This isn't the same software we had for several years - that's no longer available because the company that maintained it no longer supports forums. The current software simply doesn't send out emails for every new post in a watched thread, and there's nothing that can be done about it. It's not a glitch; it's just the way the software is.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jcat, thanks for your efforts to explain the unexplicable:

1. Not every member has stopped receiving the post notifications for their watched threads. Only a few of us are affected. Why?

2. I have RE-STARTED receiving the notifications for SOME of the threads. So far this morning I received Tender Moments, Petting a Cat and Yearly Vaccinations. Hopefully others will follow.:)

I give up trying to understand. Will not ask again.

Thanks however.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
golondrina golondrina the only thing I can think of, or rather started wondering about, is that maybe having multiple sessions open causes issues.
But I don't know, that doesn't really explain why I didn't/don't get alerted when 3str posts the first post after mine, since there was a lot of time between my post and his post...but there have been other threads where there wasn't much time in between, and I didn't receive an alert that someone had posted after my post.
The only other thing I can think of to offer to you would be possibly to utilize the Your Content section.
I'm not expecting an alert for every post, (holy schamoley, no not that) just an alert that someone has posted after a post of mine. I get most, but not all.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom many thanks for your info as to how things are workig or not working for you. I don't seem to have a problem with the alerts, on the contrary it is thanks to the alerts that I know when a reply has been posted.

Surprisingly this morning I have already received posts of 4 of my watched threads in my mail box, which includes yours. I am trying not to be too optimistic but it surely "feels good" to see these posts arriving again. Good luck with yours.

HellaSteph

Unicorn Seeker
Super Cat
Purraise
golondrina golondrina Please note that it's important for you to check your Watched Threads: https://thecatsite.com/watched/threads and your Watched Forums areas: https://thecatsite.com/watched/forums

To read this area, all the threads that you watch/follow will be here. You can see by a text indicator that you're receiving email notifications by thread like this:

00000754.png

At the top of every thread, you can "Watch Thread" which means you elect to receive new email notifications every time there's a new response. You do not have to respond or start the thread to Watch Thread, it's a silent follow via email.

00000753.png

As mentioned, you will receive email notifications only after you have come visited the site but not again until you visit again. When I say visit, it's not just logging in, but a new session. Say you visit this thread, and you get email notifications, the next time you get more email notifications is when you come back to TCS. This limits us from sending you too many messages if you haven't been visiting the site.

I hope this is a little helpful.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if I've mentioned it, but I believe I've noticed another thing and maybe this is why, golondrina golondrina , some emails are not sent to you at all times, every time we expect one?

I think that: if online Alerts show up at that little area at the top right of your web page and if you have hovered your mouse over it (so that you can have the Alerts' menu do its 'dropdown display' in order for you to read what is listed there), it seems as if the system will then NOT send you a specific email after that. Result: If you've already read the online Alerts, the system will say, "oh yay, this person is fully aware of New Things Right Now and so I don't have to send an email alert to this person until (1) this person visits the actual thread again, and also (2) hasn't negated the sending of the next email alert(s) by hovering over that online Alert box".

(see that bit about getting emails in this posts here when we talked about Mention emails: Mentions )

Basically, its main goal seems to be to decrease any email alerts to you in the first place & the coding might be set up to take advantage of any instance it can recognize to negate an overload of emails.
:sigh:

So, when we all are travelling around the web site, this page to that page, hovering over our Alert boxes or not hovering over them, it becomes a complicated pattern (different for each person and even different in each visit to the web site that we have in a hour, a day, whatever) of which resulting pathway of Alerts or emails happens or not.

A lot of code has a habit of setting up multiple rules which say, "If this situation happens, then make this thing happen as a result." Add to that, all the Alert choices each member might toggle for how they want their Alerts set up, and to me... it's like trying to make your way through a forest without a flashlight.

(Sometimes I feel like my attempts to help might not help, so I'll stop now!)
:confused2:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you PushPurrCatPaws. Regarding the notion that if clicking on the onlight alerts and reading the posts alerted then the system will not send them to my email page...................my problem is that in many cases my only way to know that somebody has posted IS by consulting the alerts.

Sorry, I have to quit the computer as I have just got some visitors. Will be back. Thanks again.