Not Getting Email Notification On Watched Threads

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see no new threads have been opened in quite awhile here, and don't know what's happening, if anything on watched threads, but I KNOW I am not getting emails on all of the threads to which I have replied, and specifically on some of the threads to which I have replied and have even "unwatched" and then "watched" again to make doubly sure I will get emails on :sigh:.

Is this still an issue (or was it ever?) Seems like it was. I went back into my preferences yesterday to make sure everything was marked to email me, and they were, but not always getting them. Of course, could still be "user error" on my part :wink:. I THINK I know what I'm doing, but may be wrong)

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I came here to post the same problem. Since the new format, I'm not getting email alerts about responses to my posts, or when I'm being quoted or purraised. My settings are set to receive alerts. This is inconvenient for me because I check my email daily but now I have to go specifically to the CatSite to see if there are responses.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I see no new threads have been opened in quite awhile here, and don't know what's happening, if anything on watched threads, but I KNOW I am not getting emails on all of the threads to which I have replied, and specifically on some of the threads to which I have replied and have even "unwatched" and then "watched" again to make doubly sure I will get emails on :sigh:.

Is this still an issue (or was it ever?) Seems like it was. I went back into my preferences yesterday to make sure everything was marked to email me, and they were, but not always getting them. Of course, could still be "user error" on my part :wink:. I THINK I know what I'm doing, but may be wrong)
Are you getting any at all or zero?

I came here to post the same problem. Since the new format, I'm not getting email alerts about responses to my posts, or when I'm being quoted or purraised. My settings are set to receive alerts. This is inconvenient for me because I check my email daily but now I have to go specifically to the CatSite to see if there are responses.
Same question... Are you getting any at all, or zero? Some things you will not get email notifications for on this site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry for the late response. I didn't get an email advising anyone had ever responded to my initial post, and then I couldn't had a very difficult time even finding this post. Seriously, did it get moved?

Well, anyway, I do, an occasion, receive an email on a thread to which I have posted. Cannot tell you what percentage I am receiving, because I don't know how many I am NOT receiving :wink:. I THINK, however, that I am only receiving emails on thread created since we went to the new platform. One thread I still follow, though, is Artie, and I have to consciously remember to search for his thread everytime I want to check up on him. But there are others that I like to keep up with, particular if I've asked a question and then someone responds and I never know it, so they're left in limbo :frown:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you getting any at all or zero?
I'm receiving no alerts in my email. Before the new format, I received all.

Same question... Are you getting any at all, or zero? Some things you will not get email notifications for on this site.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens For any thread that was created before the platform change, you will have to "re-watch" the thread.

msaimee msaimee Are these for subscribed threads that you subscribed to before the platform change? Have you checked your setting to make sure you have opted to receive email notifications?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I did that once already, since we went to the new platform. (unwatched, then "watched" again, but to no avail, until today, naturally :lol:. Today, I got my first email on Artie, AND I received an email on THIS thread!!!!! Something must be happening :wink:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering about some alerts issues, as well.

It seems as if receiving Email alerts for particular things might be reliant upon having to actually Watch a thread.

I noticed the other day that when I went into my "Browsing Preferences" and I untoggled the "automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply" choice, I also lose the ability to get ANY (email) alerts for a thread I've commented on (e.g. the box for "receive email notifications of replies" becomes unavailable to me and I cannot toggle a choice for getting emails). Hence, even though I may not want to necessarily automatically watch threads I've comment upon (and get emails for everyone else's comment), it seems I now do not even get an email whenever someone mentions me, comments to me, or purraises me on an Unwatched Thread. This seems to override, I think(?), some other choices for receiving alerts that I tried to toggle on the other Alert Preferences page? I'm not sure.

It could also be that I am confusing the non-email "Alerts" I receive when I am logged into the site, versus the ability we had on the old platform to receive emails as the alert for whenever anyone mentioned us, answered to us or quoted us, or purraised us.

So, I am wondering if it is possible to give us more alert choices for specifically getting certain EMAIL alerts?? Sometimes it's easier to get an email as the "Alert", versus having to log into the site just to see if your Alert box at the top of the right side of the page has any number of "Alerts" in it.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I am wondering about some alerts issues, as well.

It seems as if receiving Email alerts for particular things might be reliant upon having to actually Watch a thread.

I noticed the other day that when I went into my "Browsing Preferences" and I untoggled the "automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply" choice, I also lose the ability to get ANY (email) alerts for a thread I've commented on (e.g. the box for "receive email notifications of replies" becomes unavailable to me and I cannot toggle a choice for getting emails). Hence, even though I may not want to necessarily automatically watch threads I've comment upon (and get emails for everyone else's comment), it seems I now do not even get an email whenever someone mentions me, comments to me, or purraises me on an Unwatched Thread. This seems to override, I think(?), some other choices for receiving alerts that I tried to toggle on the other Alert Preferences page? I'm not sure.

It could also be that I am confusing the non-email "Alerts" I receive when I am logged into the site, versus the ability we had on the old platform to receive emails as the alert for whenever anyone mentioned us, answered to us or quoted us, or purraised us.

So, I am wondering if it is possible to give us more alert choices for specifically getting certain EMAIL alerts?? Sometimes it's easier to get an email as the "Alert", versus having to log into the site just to see if your Alert box at the top of the right side of the page has any number of "Alerts" in it.
I'm noting this post as Feedback.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm here to say that I appreciate the feedback and agree with it. The way the system currently handles email notifications leaves a lot to be desired. I know this is something other site owners are asking for. Since this is a core behavior for the platform, it's not really fixable with an add-on (I had looked for one). The good news is that they're working on a brand new version of the platform where hopefully that will change.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently had to change my email address on the TCS account, since I changed ISPs and will no longer be using the older address. I am wondering now if that is why I recently have not gotten email alerts to certain threads which I know I had toggled to receive email alerts (using my previous email address).

So, I am going to try to go back to those threads, unwatch them, and re-watch them, asking for email alerts (under the umbrella now of my newer email address). I don't know if that will help. I hope so!:crossfingers:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I don't think an email address change should unsubscribe you from threads. I just checked and it looks like your emails are going out just fine. I wonder if maybe some of them end up in the spam folder?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm getting a few emails, just not all the ones I thought I'd be getting when new comments are added to those threads.

Sigh. Ok, I will check w/ my NEW isp. :confused2:

edit: I think I will also fiddle with a few settings in my email software, re: "junk" settings & email addresses... maybe that will help.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still having issues with not getting all relevant email alerts for threads I specifically request email alerts for. What is happening is that I get email alerts just a few times, or just once for a thread, or from just one person on a thread, but not for ALL the replies or from all the persons who participate in a thread. I don't want to keep belaboring this point, it's just that I find it odd. In checking things out on my end, it's not my new ISP; I've tried several variations of any kinds of spam or junk settings I might have for my email; and I've tried several variations of options for trying to set alerts or Watch threads. I've also gone to all my Watched threads in my preferences and I've toggled the "enable email" alerts choice for all of those threads. Yet I continue to only get a few or no emails showing up in my InBox.

For example, this morning the only email alerts in my InBox from the game threads I am playing in (for which I've specifically set email alerts) were from when Boris Diamond contributed from a game thread. Yet when I log in, and go to those game threads this morning, others were playing too during the night and morning, like Mia6, debbila and jcat... but I got no emails for when they played words in the game. I just find this weird!

Anne Anne , I know you've told me a few times now that you see emails getting sent to me, but I wonder if you just see a few, or a lot? Because only a few, or only emails from a few people, seem to be arriving in my InBox.

I can't figure it out, and I guess at this point I should just drop it. But I am wondering how many other people are experiencing this?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Are you talking about a specific game thread or a bunch of game threads? When someone replies to a thread you have watched, you should get an email about it, but you do not get any further emails for that same thread until you log in and read the thread.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Are you talking about a specific game thread or a bunch of game threads? When someone replies to a thread you have watched, you should get an email about it, but you do not get any further emails for that same thread until you log in and read the thread.
:yeah: This platform only notifies you of the first new post or reply. No new notifications for other posts are generated until after you've visited the thread.