Not exactly new but I'm here with new kitties

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

My name is Jess. I've been a member here for several years and you all have been so wonderful and kind to me. I figured I'd come officially introduce myself!

I'm in my 30s, married (since 2008) and I live in Indiana (it's boring here y'all). No kids but I am a proud kitty mama!

My sweet boy Flakes recently passed away from cancer in late September. He was with me for 12+ years (a few years at my mom's house and then officially my cat for over 12 years after that) and I was heartbroken when he passed. I have a thread about his cancer diagnosis and a crossing the bridge thread about him as well if you'd like to learn all about that sweet boy. He was my heart and my soul and I miss him more than anything.

After he passed, I took awhile to grieve and honor his memory before I started to feel called to look for new kitties. My husband and I had been discussing what we wanted out of any new cats we adopted and we agreed on a bonded pair and older (basically just not kittens). We didn't really care too much about anything else although I will admit I was hoping for 2 girls or a girl and a boy.

Just over a week ago, we found the profiles of two beautiful older girls, a bonded pair who had lost their home due to divorce. We fell in love with them based on their pictures and the lovely profile that the foster wrote about them. We applied immediately to adopt them and waited patiently to hear back. They had dozens of applications but apparently we were the only (or maybe just the first) who wanted both kitties. Thankfully our application was approved and three days later we brought them home.

Meet Juliet! She is 5 years old, solid white and we think she might be a Turkish Angora. She has long soft and airy fur and a high and demanding meow haha
PXL_20201127_235058289 (1).jpg

Meet Contessa! She is also 5 years old. Her profile said that she's a blue point ragdoll. She has the daintiest meow and she is soooo lovable.

PXL_20201120_185715911.jpg

The poor babies were badly matted around their necks and they are fully declawed which absolutely breaks my heart. They are both so sweet. Juliet is very demanding when she wants attention. She meows at you and head bumps wherever she can. She'll head bump your face, hands, arms, even your chest or stomach haha. Contessa is more reserved but she just needs to know that she's invited before she'll come ask for attention. She loves jumping up on my recliner when I'm laid back. She purrs so loud and leans into my cheek scritches.

I still miss my boy but these girls make me so happy. I hope that we can develop as strong of a bond as I did with Flakes.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly, hello! Nice to meet you :)
So sorry for the loss of your boy. :hugs: Losing a cat is never easy, but I'm so glad that you had such a great relationship with him. It sounds like you gave him the best life and it sounds like he was very happy.
Juliet and Contessa are such beauties!
Juliet sounds like such a sweet girl! I love her cute little pink nose! Such pretty, soft, white fur!
A few characteristics of Turkish Angoras that might help you identify her breed is
-She's playful and loves running
-Between 8-12 lbs
-Does she like water? Turkish Angoras are related to Turkish Van Cats, and sometimes enjoy swimming or playing in water (plus showers and baths)
-Longer rear legs
-A reversed trinagularish shaped head
-Taper ears

Contessa is such a beautiful girl, what beautiful blue eyes! her fur is so elegant and serene as well! I love the silvery color of her fur. Her pink/brick red nose is adorable. I think ragdolls tend to be a bit calmer and shyer, but yes, soo lovable! I've heard that they are also super loyal and devoted to their owners.
Congratulations on your new girls. Please continue to post pictures of them! :camera:
:hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Firstly, hello! Nice to meet you :)
So sorry for the loss of your boy. :hugs: Losing a cat is never easy, but I'm so glad that you had such a great relationship with him. It sounds like you gave him the best life and it sounds like he was very happy.
Juliet and Contessa are such beauties!
Juliet sounds like such a sweet girl! I love her cute little pink nose! Such pretty, soft, white fur!
A few characteristics of Turkish Angoras that might help you identify her breed is
-She's playful and loves running
-Between 8-12 lbs
-Does she like water? Turkish Angoras are related to Turkish Van Cats, and sometimes enjoy swimming or playing in water (plus showers and baths)
-Longer rear legs
-A reversed trinagularish shaped head
-Taper ears

Contessa is such a beautiful girl, what beautiful blue eyes! her fur is so elegant and serene as well! I love the silvery color of her fur. Her pink/brick red nose is adorable. I think ragdolls tend to be a bit calmer and shyer, but yes, soo lovable! I've heard that they are also super loyal and devoted to their owners.
Congratulations on your new girls. Please continue to post pictures of them! :camera:
:hugs:
Thank you! Juliet doesn't show much interest in water just yet but we also haven't let her go into the bathroom yet either since we need to figure out a way to block access to getting behind the washer and dryer haha.

According to the vet, she weighs just under 9 pounds. She's a long and lanky girl. Her sister is much larger at 12 pounds but the vet said they're both at a healthy weight (but don't let Conessa gain any so she's on the cusp of being overweight).

I think she fits most of the physical criteria for Turkish Angoras. She definitely has a very angular face and I think her back legs are longer. Either way, she's a beautiful girl. I love her soft wispy fur. I could pet her all day. :petcat:I don't think she would like that much though, she gets overstimulated easily. Maybe that will change over time though.

PXL_20201120_191318018.jpg

PXL_20201119_012425131 (1).jpg

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful girl!
Yes, I agree, I think she seems to fit the physical criteria (then again, I am no expert at all!) If you really wanted to know, you could post a thread in the forum Describing Cats - What Does My Cat Look Like?. However, as you said, no matter what her breed is she is still a beautiful, sweet girl no matter what.
I understand the cat getting overstimulated when pet; My kitten Willow is the same way :)
Such beautiful girls, I'm sure you will build a lovely bond with both of them :whitecat::purr:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful girl!
Yes, I agree, I think she seems to fit the physical criteria (then again, I am no expert at all!) If you really wanted to know, you could post a thread in the forum Describing Cats - What Does My Cat Look Like?. However, as you said, no matter what her breed is she is still a beautiful, sweet girl no matter what.
I understand the cat getting overstimulated when pet; My kitten Willow is the same way :)
Such beautiful girls, I'm sure you will build a lovely bond with both of them :whitecat::purr:
Thank you! I might do that. Honestly the only reason I care about breed is so I know what health conditions I should be aware of. I'm considering doing a DNA test to check for hereditary conditions. But I definitely want to wait until I have pet insurance and am well past the waiting period before I do that just in case they want to use that to deny coverage. Hopefully they'll be nice and healthy girls.