Not Eating

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully. So far he hasn't eaten anything. He's been a little more alert though and he acts like he kind of wants to eat.

It is hard. I still need to get Ember to the vet because she lost a bit of fur and it isn't coming back. She's gone for it once and I was going to get that scheduled. Now I've spent over $200 on Frost.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you ask your vet to give your cat some sub q fluids and Cerenia? When my cat refused to eat after a night of vomiting, and other times (long term issues), she always feels better and starts eating after fluids and Cerenia. My cat also doesn't respond to the appetite stimulant when her stomach doesn't feel well, and the Cerenia makes a world of difference.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you ask your vet to give your cat some sub q fluids and Cerenia? When my cat refused to eat after a night of vomiting, and other times (long term issues), she always feels better and starts eating after fluids and Cerenia. My cat also doesn't respond to the appetite stimulant when her stomach doesn't feel well, and the Cerenia makes a world of difference.
Well, we already went to the vet today and plan to see how he does in the morning, but I'll keep it in mind. The vet said he doesn't seem to be dehydrated though and, therefore, didn't need fluids. I don't know about Cerenia though.

Unfortunately, he still hasn't really eaten. He does seem more alert and is acting like he wants fed. But you put food in front of him and he sniffs it, then recoils like you offered him a dirty sock. He's almost eaten baby food. Started living at it when I put some on my finger, but never actually made contact before walking away. He did take a few Temptation treats, but would only take four or five and he'd spit pieces out. Once it had his spit on it, he wouldn't touch it.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Frost to lick a bit of baby food off my finger and take a few Temptations this morning! It wasn't much and he's still spitting parts of the treats out, but at least it's something.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is eating a little. If he hasn't eating much for so many days, I am surprised that he isn't dehydrated. Has he been drinking a lot of water despite not eating?

This sounds a lot like my cat recently, and I really suggest Cerenia, if not also fluids. I am glad his blood work looks fine, but that is something to keep an eye on. My cat recently had eating issues so similar to Frost's, and after a couple more blood tests and a urinalysis, it showed kidney disease. It could have been caused by her temporarily not eating (another reason for why fluids were given also to help) or, it could actually be a cause for why she wasn't eating.

I hope Frost will eat a little more, and do ask the vet about Cerenia. Good luck!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strange he keeps spitting out pieces of treats. Did the vet look at his teeth?
He's eaten some more baby food. A little more than he did earlier. I thought it was weird about the treats too and we've thought about that. Usually looking at their teeth is one of the first things the vet does, but we can't remember seeing her do that. However, they did take him to the back to get blood, so we can't be sure. But at least he's eating something. If we can get to Monday and he's eating but still spitting treats out then I'll make an appointment at the vet I work at and see what he says.I

I am glad he is eating a little. If he hasn't eating much for so many days, I am surprised that he isn't dehydrated. Has he been drinking a lot of water despite not eating?

This sounds a lot like my cat recently, and I really suggest Cerenia, if not also fluids. I am glad his blood work looks fine, but that is something to keep an eye on. My cat recently had eating issues so similar to Frost's, and after a couple more blood tests and a urinalysis, it showed kidney disease. It could have been caused by her temporarily not eating (another reason for why fluids were given also to help) or, it could actually be a cause for why she wasn't eating.

I hope Frost will eat a little more, and do ask the vet about Cerenia. Good luck!
I can only guess he's been drinking without us seeing it. He tends to be fairly good at getting enough water. But they always seem to drink when we aren't looking.

We'll see how today goes. If I can get away without spending more money on this then I'd kind of prefer that. I only work part time for minimum wage, so I'm not exactly bringing much the and I still need to get Ember in. But I will bring it up if he ends up having to go back to the vet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can find goats milk in your area, that is safe for cats, and if he liked it, would get some more calories in him. Or you could also try kitten milk replacement milk, like KMR.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can find goats milk in your area, that is safe for cats, and if he liked it, would get some more calories in him. Or you could also try kitten milk replacement milk, like KMR.
I've never seen goats milk. I'll have to look into where I might be able to find it. I do believe we tried kitten milk the last time he and Ash got ill and quit eating. I don't recall it working, but I don't think anything did.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goats milk could be with the regular milk. Or it could be in the specialty or organic foods section. So if you're able to get out to look for it, check both sections of your grocery store.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he is eating... A little. It's like he forgot how to eat though. He just licks at wet food which doesn't really get much. I've been adding water to make it soupy, but he still doesn't eat much. Dry foods still get spit out a lot and he only ends up eating parts of the Temptation treats.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This sounds more and more like a mouth issue, doesn't it?

As for goat's milk, I found it in with the baking supplies at my store, for some odd reason.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we are thinking it may be a tooth issue. His back teeth are pretty bad. I don't know why his are so bad though. Ash's teeth are nothing like his and they're about the same age. My vet said I could call them in the morning if he's still not eating right and possibly get him in before I go to school.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Frost to the vet I work at this morning. He said he doesn't think Frost's teeth are bad enough to cause him to stop eating. He will need a teeth cleaning, but the vet doesn't want to do it while he's ill, so just got a B-12 shot today because the vet said sometimes they stop eating and get deficient which makes them feel off. I'm supposed to call them tomorrow morning to let them know if anything has changed.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped at Target just because it was on my way home from school. Couldn't find goat milk, but did get a few more wet foods. Then I went to Pet Smart and got a few more kinds of wet food, KMR, and bone broth. The KMR was a hit. I mixed some with wet food and he ate more than he has in a while. Still not a normal amount, but more. My mom said he ate a bit more of his afternoon small than he had been too.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm happy to hear he's eating a bit more. Hopefully he's on his way back to feeling, and eating, normally.