Not Eating

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. My eight year old, neutered male has recently gotten sick. We had something go around that got them all. It started with my dog, got my two foster puppies, and moved on to the cats. Ember was the first of the cats, then Frost, and Ash got it last. However, Frost is the only one still sick. For a while, it was just sneezing. One of the foster pups got crusty eyes, but otherwise everyone was just sneezing. Frost and Ash both then got these wet noses. The bridge of their nose was just always wet. Frost got worse and started getting brown stuff on his nose as well. Yesterday afternoon he didn't finish his snack of dry food. He barely ate any of his two dinners. He ate, I guess, a tiny bit this morning. I didn't see because I was feeding everyone else, but he threw up earlier and there was a small amount of wet food in it. He's been offered two different brands of wet food of three different flavors and his dry food of which he's barely eaten. Today I tried cheese, Temptations with catnip treats, a Sheba treat, and another I can't think of the name of. I also offered him a meal topping I bought that's duck. I even tried a piece of dog food. He ate one Temptation treat, but that was it. And he's the pickiest cat I have. He'll eat plastic and plants, but isn't very interested in human food. I also don't have much meat in the house because we're trying to cut back. And, of course, the weather isn't great. It's supposed to snow this evening and probably tomorrow as well.

Now, when the first foster puppy got sick, I took them both to the vet. The vet only looked at the puppy's eyes and mouth and said he didn't want to do anything unless it got worse. No one else got worse. Frost is the only one who has progressed to this point and of course it had to line up with a weekend (not many places open, including where I work and would have liked to take him) and bad weather (can't really get out to take him anyway and can't get out to get more food). I don't know what to do with him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry that Frost is not feeling well. You're right to be concerned about him not eating. Cat do need a certain amount of calories a day, otherwise hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver, can set in, which can be serious.

I realize it's the weekend, and weather is also an issue, but if he's still not eating tomorrow, I think I would try to get him into see a vet. Particularly since he may have the same virus, or whatever your other pets had, and might need antibiotics or other medication.

If your vet is (still) open today, or tomorrow morning, maybe give them a call and see what they suggest.

Meanwhile, here's a couple TCS articles that might be helpful.

Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? – Cat Articles
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again | TheCatSite

Sending vibes that he feels better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry that Frost is not feeling well. You're right to be concerned about him not eating. Cat do need a certain amount of calories a day, otherwise hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver, can set in, which can be serious.

I realize it's the weekend, and weather is also an issue, but if he's still not eating tomorrow, I think I would try to get him into see a vet. Particularly since he may have the same virus, or whatever your other pets had, and might need antibiotics or other medication.

If your vet is (still) open today, or tomorrow morning, maybe give them a call and see what they suggest.

Meanwhile, here's a couple TCS articles that might be helpful.

Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? – Cat Articles
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again | TheCatSite

Sending vibes that he feels better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Thank you for the reply. I could see if there's anyone I can contact. Usually if someone stops eating, they go to the vet next day, but he just had to have the worst timing. The vet I work at closed early due to bad weather today. I'm not sure anyone will be open tomorrow either, even if they usually are. People tend to freak out over a little ice around here. I can see if the vet I was going to is open this weekend, but they're further away so harder to get to. I'll keep trying to get him to eat though. I wish there was something he really liked, but he's not the most food motivated cat. The only thing I can think of is turkey.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can manage it, grab a jar of Gerber's baby food, either turkey or beef, the infant formula that contains only meat, no spices, etc. Heat it VERY slightly. He may go for that. Cat who can't smell their food won't eat, and that hepatic lipidosis is a real concern.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can manage it, grab a jar of Gerber's baby food, either turkey or beef, the infant formula that contains only meat, no spices, etc. Heat it VERY slightly. He may go for that. Cat who can't smell their food won't eat, and that hepatic lipidosis is a real concern.

I'll see what I can do. I'm supposed to be taking my foster pup up to shelter tomorrow and there's a Wal-Mart right there. If I end up being able to go then I can get it while I'm nearby. Depends on the weather though. Otherwise I only have a Dollar General nearby and they don't have much of anything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Can you try canned tuna or chicken in water? Sometimes, that will work. Also, don't ask me to explain (because I can't) but some cats that are sick or reluctant to eat will eat from a paper plate rather than their own dishes. How about looking over these options?
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – Cat Articles
Edit: There is another list of potential foods that I am also including - Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!.
If I can get to a store tomorrow, I'll get some. I don't have any though. I don't have paper plates either. I'll look through the thread for sure though.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Dollar Store here does carry baby food, but don't have a clue about other places, or what variety. Tomorrow should be just fine. Whatever you try to feed, though, do heat it just a tiny bit to make it "stinkier."

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Dollar Store here does carry baby food, but don't have a clue about other places, or what variety. Tomorrow should be just fine. Whatever you try to feed, though, do heat it just a tiny bit to make it "stinkier."

I can't say I've looked, but I don't remember seeing any in there. I'll try to get there if I can't get to Wal-Mart. I think I'll try heating his wet food this evening and maybe try some treats again. Maybe the duck topping heated?

Deli turkey is another food that most cats can't refuse.
I was thinking turkey too. If there's anything he loves, it's probably turkey. They don't get it often.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats really like plain scrambled eggs
We've tried eggs in the past. Even Ember doesn't care for them and she's food obsessed.

Please let us know how thing go today.:hugs:
Unfortunately, he's still not eating. It doesn't seem like he can hold anything down. I got some water in him last night just to make sure he was getting fluids and he threw up quite a bit.

Most of the bad weather send like it'll miss us though. We should be able to get out to a store this morning and I'll be looking into getting him a vet appointment either this weekend or as soon as possible on Monday.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to hear that. :alright:

I'm a worrier, so if it were me, I'd try to get him in to see someone today. Or at least call your vet (or one that is open) and ask for their advice. By Monday, that will be 3 or 4 days, which is a really long time for a cat not to eat. And since he threw up the water, there's also the worry about him getting dehydrated.

Two summers ago, my Ruby girl had a day of vomiting. When she threw up her breakfast the next morning, I made a vet appointment. They gave her an anti-nausea shot, and by late afternoon, she was able to eat and keep it down. So maybe that is all your boy would need.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it only vomiting that Frost has or does he also seem congested? When my boy had a URI he also got constipated and due to that was nauseated. He was given laxatone (which is hairball gel) a shot of cerenia (anti-nausea) and some antibiotics for his URI.
Perhaps you could see about giving Frost something that can help with constipation like butter, a hairball remedy or vaseline which may help pass hard stools that are already formed in his system.
And also, try to find ways to ease his congestion, like taking him into a hot steamy bathroom (turn on hot water in shower and close the door). Sit in there with him for 15-20 minutes or so, then try to feed him. It may open up his airways enough that he will be enticed to eat better. If a cat can't smell it's food, it won't want to eat. If they don't eat and drink, it can lead to constipation.
Some pureed boiled chicken might be easier on his tummy for right now and might help him not vomit it back up.
I also had 100% pure baby saline nasal drops on hand and that also helped to clear out his nasal passages. You put one or two drops up each nostril a couple times a day. This brand is safe (it is pure with NO preservatives) and easy to use.
1579359882573.png

Considering you mentioned a storm, I'm assuming you're talking about a winter storm, which tends to lead to dry indoor air as the heat goes up, so if you have one, I would set up a humidifier in the area Frost hangs out in the most to help with his congestion.

I hope you are able to get him to the vet soon...poor thing.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on my phone, so I'm going to keep it short for now. We got Frost an appointment for tomorrow morning. They said they'd let us know if they can get him in today though. We're going to the store now though, so I'll be picking some stuff up.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I'm glad they were able to see him today. Please give us an update, when you can. :hugs:

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got back from the vet. They did bloodwork and everything seemed normal. A few numbers were a bit low, but she thinks it was because it was a hard draw. His cholesterol is a little high,but she didn't seem concerned. Otherwise she said he sounds a bit wheezy, but heart and lungs are good. No sign of infection, but she gave him an antibiotic injection just in case. We also got a topical ointment to put on his ear that's suppose to stimulate his appetite. She gave him the first dose. I did try giving him some baby food right after getting home, but still nothing. I haven't tried anything else since that was what he showed the most interest in when I tried before we left and I don't want to keep bothering him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he has an infection, the antibiotic will help with that. And hopefully the ointment will help with his appetite.

Sending more healing vibes to Frost. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
And hugs to you. :hugs::hugs::hugs:
It's hard being a pet parent sometimes. :sigh: