Not Eating

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here we go again: Merlin has another problem. :bawling:
He was eating anallergenic dry food to diagnose some food intollerance: we were doing fine, excellent poop and happy cat.
8 days ago (end of week 3 of trial diet) we opened a new bag of kibbles and they looked different, more dry and less smelly. He started to eat less but we thought it was the change of food, maybe a less tasty batch, and he still managed to get his usual calories, nibbling during the day instead of eating immediately every single meal.
In the last 3 days it got worse, he ate less and less and looked a bit nauseated (licking lips, taking a bite and walking away). We tried to feed him some other wet food, and he ate tiny amounts but wasn't really hungry. The vet told me he probably had nausea, made worse with eating other foods, considering he probably has allergies.
So we went to his office yesterday: nothing relevant during the visit, no fever, no pain.
He told us to ONLY give him anallergenic food until he gets better, and then introduce a new protein slowly. He gave him a cerenia shot, which made him very drowsy and possibly even less hungry for a whole day.
Today we got back, another unrelevant visit (still no fever, no pain at all even with deep palpation of abdomen) and a plasil+ranitidine shot.
The cat looks perfectly fine. He is active as usual, pooping good, interacting all the time with us. He just doesn't want to eat more than a couple of bites at a time. This evening he ate 60 gr of some wet food, which is good but it took hours.
I don't know what to do. Also, I honestly believe it's kinda stupid to insist with his kibbles, since he is clearly not inclined to eat them.
Any advice?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have to continue with this food brand, I would probably get another bag to see if the current one was off.

Also, is it possible that he simply got bored with eating only one food type/ flavour?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have to continue with this food brand, I would probably get another bag to see if the current one was off.

Also, is it possible that he simply got bored with eating only one food type/ flavour?
It's possible, and getting a new bag was my original plan. But now he is not eating anything: I tried different kinds of canned food and he wasn't too thrilled (still, he ate something, which is better than ignoring his kibbles), so I don't think the problem is only that he is tired of eating the same things.
Maybe it started that way (or it was a coincidence, who knows), but now he lost his appetite for everything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Get another bag and try it to see what happens. Maybe if there was something wrong with that food, and he smells the food from another new bag it will peak his interest again. If you can get him to eat the food again, and you are not happy with the kibbles because it is dry food, perhaps you can then start adding a little bit of water to it and see if he might eat it that way.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He used to love "kibble soup" with added water.
But nowadays, I'm not so optimistic about it. Yesterday a piece of ham fell from the table and Merlin didn't eat it, so I don't think these kibbles stand a chance, even a new bag.
I don't understand if he is sick (but he looks fine!) or something happened with his diet and now he is nauseated of pretty much every kind of food.
Tomorrow we will go back to the vet once again, his usual doctor will be in (like yesterday, today another one saw him) and he is a gastroenterologist.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to see you have to go to the vet again, but I think since the lack of interest in food is so wide-spread another vet visit might be your best bet. It's good that you will be able to see his regular vet too - it seems like we always get better results with them than with the 'substitutes'.

Is he drinking OK?

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is drinking fine, maybe a bit more than usual but if he has nausea it could be normal, I guess. It's all normal, he was weird only yesterday after the cerenia shot. Bad adverse reaction, ugh, he slept for hours.
So we tried ranitidine and plasil today and he had no adverse effect, but no improvement either.
So far today he ate: around 70 gr of Gourmet Gold wet food (it sucks, I know, but my old cat used to love it, so I tried to tempt him as well. It worked a tiny bit) and around 25 gr of kibbles. He refused a healthier kind of canned food, taking only a couple of bites.
It's 10 pm right now, so we've got all night, but before this change in appetite he would eat all his food in 4-5 meals during the day. He would finish every single bowl of kibbles in 5 minutes. Now he's nibbling

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No change so far, I am a bit worried.
He is eating almost his normal daily amount, but still nibbling through all day and night, and often I have to insist and re-offer food.
I don't understand, he looks perfectly fine and shows no sign of discomfort. He sometimes asks for food like he used to do and seems hungry, but then eats just a tiny bit.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he is eating almost his normal daily amount, isn't that a good thing? Or, is it just because he takes so many little meals to get there that is bothering you? How long is he due to be on ranitidine and plasil - do they take a while to be totally effective?

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he is eating almost his normal daily amount, isn't that a good thing? Or, is it just because he takes so many little meals to get there that is bothering you? How long is he due to be on ranitidine and plasil - do they take a while to be totally effective?
We've stopped plasil and ranitidine after the first dose because the vet thinks they didn't make a difference. He doesn't look nauseated anymore, a few days ago he was smacking his lips a lot, but he stopped.
Yes, I am worried because his appetite seems off and his behaviour around food is different: he used to eat the same amount, but only because I feed him that quantity. I mean, he would have eaten much more if possible. He used to meow and ask for food, and then finish his meal in a couple of minutes. Now he has food all the time and barely finishes the dose during 24 hours...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you ever get a new bag of the food that he was eating before? Did you ever try to add water to it?

If he is acting normally otherwise, just keep watching what he eats and how quickly - hopefully it will pick up over time. Maybe it is just taking him some time to get over whatever happened since no one seems to know for sure what that was.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you ever get a new bag of the food that he was eating before? Did you ever try to add water to it?

If he is acting normally otherwise, just keep watching what he eats and how quickly - hopefully it will pick up over time. Maybe it is just taking him some time to get over whatever happened since no one seems to know for sure what that was.
I tried to get a new bag but it's sold out in all nearby stores. They mention an issue with RC importation from France, also is a very peculiar diet and they usually have just a couple bags in store. I wrote to the company though, they will send me a new one as soon as possible.
I did try to add the water as I used to do: he simply ignored the bowl for hours and I had to throw away everything.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've managed to get a new bag: these ones look good, just like the older ones.
But I see no difference at all. He is still nibbling day and night.
He is active and looks fine and happy.
I don't know what to do, should I worry?
We did a blood test around a month ago and he was fine

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only other thing I can think of is to look at all the ingredients in the food and see if you can replicate it with something very similar - even if it doesn't say it's anallergenic. Maybe tell the vet he won't eat it and ask him/her to recommend something else.

Speaking of the vet, didn't you take him back to the vet a few days ago? Did you talk to the vet about his eating issue then? Any new developments with the vet visit?

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep, we went three times, last one was monday. He was, again, fine. The vet told us to change food, but also to wait until he was better and regained his appetite, which is not gonna happen, apparently. Also, he wasn't sure which food to choose, because we need a new protein, dry and wet food, possibly an hypoallergenic brand. And he hated lamb, which we tried a couple of days ago

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've just checked his weight (with the limits of my scale) and it looks like he regained what he had lost the past days. Which is good, of course.
He is eating enough, but why did he lost all enthusiasm?
Maybe I should try some other food :ohwell:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is good about his weight! I know you would prefer that he would seem more happy about eating. But, you have to weigh out which is more important - finishing the food trial or continuing to give him foods hoping to find one he is more enthusiastic about. How much longer is the food trial?

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The trial should end today, but we decided to extend it for a while, since he was having diarrhea from mixing all different foods when he was anorexic.
Tonight he ate 30 gr of kibbles! All of them! Looks like he is very hungry during the night, good to know.
I have to choose a new diet now, which won't be easy. I wish we had the same availability of foods as other countries. I can order some online, though, so maybe I should search the web. But of course something I could buy in a store nearby would be better

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you have Zooplus online shop in Italy which sells a lot of good quality German food. I don’t know much about dry food, but if you’re looking for a limited ingredients canned, I can recommend Catz Finefood (my cats loved kangaroo flavour) and GranataPet. Also I think MACs has some LID.