Not Eating

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I leave my house cat sandy on his own he will not eat anything what I have left him then when I get back home he will start eating it do you think he is frightened being left on his own

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe he's just not hungry when you are not at home? Cats don't have to eat all day. You can keep leaving food out but leave a smaller amount so you're not wasting food. Or just not leave any food out if your cat doesn't eat at all. Most cats are ok going 8 hours or so with not eating.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitty may be a social eater. We have several of these in our rescue and they only eat when either a person or another cat is with them.

As LTS3 mentioned, it's ok if he doesn't eat for 8 or so hours while you are away. The issue would become a problem if you are away for an extended period and he doesn't eat.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry unless he's not eating the right amount of calories per day and losing weight.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello MA LESTER MA LESTER , how old is your cat? Adult or kitten? If he's an adult, he will be eating much less and often than a kitten.

Anyway, I saw your other post and you mentioned that he's overweight. So if he's not eating while you're out, it's a good way to help him loose some weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sandy is 9years old

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Sandy is 9years old
Oh, then because of her age, she is eating less as compared to a kitten. So you don't have to worry.

Just make sure she is active, weighing at the right weight and eating, drinking and using the litter box normally.

If she does not eat for more than a day or so, bring her in to the vet for a check up.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My guy does not eat, if I am not home. Instead, he curls up and sleeps.

I think they take advantage of the 'alone' time to chill out. If your guy is healthy, at a normal weight and eats when you are home, then I would not be concerned.

I know I was at first, but then I just accepted that this was a way of life.

Leave some food, out, just in case. Do not worry if it is not eaten while you are gone, at least it will be there if your baby is hungry..

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats who won't eat if they don't have company. I don't think it's strange, just social eaters. Sinbad will actually follow me around the house whining until I go sit down in the same room where his food is, he will simply not eat by himself.