Not Eating, Sick, Diarrhea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Re Luna's eye, Tractor Supply Company and similar farm stores sell terramycin eye ointment OTC for around $10, if you think she may need it. It may be a "behind the counter" type item, but it is OTC, usually by the rabbit stuff.

Re the diarrhea, I added two feral kittens to my group last fall and they got diarrhea (sometimes bloody) and poor appetite, then got better, then got it again...over and over despite testing negative for *everything*, and having been treated by two vets with various anti-parasitics (including Panacur) and Fortiflora. The last time I brought them in for it (this past winter) the vet was kind of out of ideas and said to try more "conventional" food for their dry meal (i.e. grocery store food...they were on Fancy Feast pate and American Journey grain free dry) because higher end dry foods have lots of "weird ingredients". True, but none of them weirder than corn and soy, so no. ANYWAY, I was sort of left with no answers and did some research myself. I ended up trying a couple of different probiotics plus digestive enzymes.

The thing that ultimately worked and has cleared them of recurrences for months now was a combination of NaturVet Digestive Enzymes Plus Pre & Probiotic (1/4 tsp per meal), Jarrow Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS (1/2 capsule per meal), and slippery elm powder (1/4 tsp mixed with a little water then added to each meal). Within a week of this routine, we were all good, and the problem has not returned.

Truthfully, they may have only needed one of those three things, but I gave them all together in my desperation to help my kitties (plus these are all things that are totally safe in their correct dosages), so I don't know that for sure.
I don’t think I should continue the anti biotic I’m so happy!!!
6E57847D-8BA9-46CB-84BC-2DA30E7FDE45.jpeg

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I feed one dry meal (American Journey grain free duck) and one wet meal and it works with both. To make it a little easier, you can actually put all three in the water (just a Tablespoon or two is all you really need) and mix it up. The slippery elm sort of gels up similar to what Metamucil does, and then I'd just pour it over the wet or dry food. With the dry it ends up being kind of like kibble with gravy, LOL. None of mine had any problem at all with eating it, but they are generally really good eaters. You can definitely use tuna water or chicken broth instead of plain water, if that helps. But if you have any problems getting them to eat the slurry, gently using a feeding syringe works well too.
I’ll look into American Journey, I’m not happy with taste of the wild dog food has lead in it

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
53B563C8-55F3-4579-8295-6D7A3243A1B3.jpeg
I’ll look into American Journey, I’m not happy with taste of the wild dog food has lead in it
He does this twice a day
All other stools make it unto the litter
The formed ones
I’m calling the vet tomorrow
Trying another antibiotic would be cheaper and less time consuming at the moment
Good news
He now jumps on the counter into his towel for his medicine
Maybe a snack before his meal

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update,
Vet said they can do a PCR and/food trail a gastro intestinal diet from Royal Cainine or Hill's Science.
I told them I would do the natural methods.
First, I'm going to try a tsp of pumpkin in dry food to see if it works.
Tiger really wants out of the room!!
I think I'll have to start another thread about how to integrate them.
I have to buy socks to pet them with, baby gates to stack, maybe something else.

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Warning this is gross.
Happened around 1 am about 4 hours after she licked her salmon and canned food.
This was round 2. The first time didn’t have blood.

I am having the same issue with our 2.5 month kitten. When we adopted him his stools were normal. My bf gave him milk and ever since they have been like this. I've taken him twice to the vet and he has no parasites, he is up to date with vaccines given his age. I dont know what else to do. I have him only on dry food as advised by the vet.....

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am having the same issue with our 2.5 month kitten. When we adopted him his stools were normal. My bf gave him milk and ever since they have been like this. I've taken him twice to the vet and he has no parasites, he is up to date with vaccines given his age. I dont know what else to do. I have him only on dry food as advised by the vet.....
Quoting #Beckbjj
From earlier
The thing that ultimately worked and has cleared them of recurrences for months now was a combination of NaturVet Digestive Enzymes Plus Pre & Probiotic (1/4 tsp per meal), Jarrow Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS (1/2 capsule per meal), and slippery elm powder (1/4 tsp mixed with a little water then added to each meal). Within a week of this routine, we were all good, and the problem has not returned.

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quoting #Beckbjj
From earlier

For how long did you do it?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It was just like 10 days or two weeks, something like that. I know I continued giving it for a few days beyond when I saw that their stools were nice and normal.
I’ve been giving canned pumpkin until I get the ingredients
Will it work for constpation also?

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quoting #Beckbjj
From earlier
Hello again! I purchased the NaturVet Digestive Enzymes Plus Probiotic and they came in soft chewable pellets but Tom seems not to like the taste... Any ideas? Should I mix it in crumps pieces?

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm I have the powder. But yeah I'd say if he doesn't like it see if you can sort of mash up or cut up the chewies and mix it into his food, especially a wet food he really likes, and see if that does the trick.

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm I have the powder. But yeah I'd say if he doesn't like it see if you can sort of mash up or cut up the chewies and mix it into his food, especially a wet food he really likes, and see if that does the trick.

They are soft to the touch and I manged ti crumbled them into his food they are powdery chewelable. Let's see if they do the trick