Not Eating Or Drinking After Vaccine...

permanentruby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I brought my cat to be vaccinated this morning. She is 4 years old, and got her three year PureVax Rabies and her distemper shots. When we returned home, she ate half a can of wet food, laid down for a bit, then was her usual mischievous self getting into things and wanting to play. Then she laid down to take a nap, and has been lethargic since then. She did get up about four hours after sleeping and used her litter box, and was more alert for awhile, watching me move around the room, but now she's been asleep again for an hour or two.

It has been about 14 hours since her vaccines, and she has not eaten or drank anything since we first got home from the vet this morning. I tried placing her water in front of her, as well as her favorite wet food, but she walked away from both. A treat didn't work either.

The vet told me it's normal for her to have a lack or loss of appetite for a feeding or two, but I'm more concerned about her getting dehydrated. At what point should I worry?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try tuna juice, kitten food, kitten milk, Pedialyte, theres a homemade recipe available, --try these things alone and/or mixed in, also maybe warm the food a little bit. See if your vet has an emergency number to call, I don't know the time but you're right, you don't want to wait. Hang in there!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't be surprised if she is back to normal today. Even though the Purevax vaccine is the safest one the rabies vaccine often takes a lot out of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

permanentruby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are things today?
She seems to be doing a little bit better! She yelled at me to feed her this morning...didn't eat a whole lot of her wet food, but some. She also ate some of her dry food throughout the night. She's usually very vocal and didn't make a peep yesterday, so having her wake me up this morning was a welcome surprise! She's still pretty sleepy, though, and has been conked out on my bed since eating a few bites of her food this morning. I'm not sure if she drank anything, but I assume since she ate some of her dry food (which is right next to her water) hopefully she did.