Not Eating Much

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for cats to not eat a lot during hot weather? They aren't at the "rush to vet" stage but I have noticed that neither cats are eating a lot. It is hot and humid as well as storms brewing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is possible that heat can affect how much a cat is willing to eat, just like it does some humans.

Storms affect them as well - at least for Feeby, she wants to hide and will be 'hidden' for hours before and after a rain storm, bypassing normal food schedules. And, she doesn't seem to make up for those either (like eating more the next go-round).

If you are feeding dry food, the staleness of the food can affect their desire to eat it too. Probably true of canned/wet food as well - although, I don't leave canned out long enough for it to go bad or get stale. Members who dislike dry food will also tell you if it is left out too long it becomes contaminated and will affect a cat's desire to eat it because it has 'gone bad'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave both dry and canned out for 30 minutes each and if they don't eat I take inside. Usually I sit outside with them during mealtime which they seem to like but today they ate a bite or two of the food and walked off. So I doubt the food is contaminated or bad. I was just curious.