Not Eating Kills

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has recently started bringing home snacks, but doesn't eat them. Why Is that?

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's leaving them for you! You're such a poor hunter, clearly you need help taking care yourself xD

But seriously, he's showing how much he loves you and giving you little gifts. Not the most pleasant ones, but... hey, it's the thought that counts!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. I've heard that, but it's been 2 nights in a row. She hasn't done this before. So that's why I wondered.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
She's bringing you gifts, and cat food probably tastes better to her than prey. The ferals in our shelter's colony constantly being mice (and sometimes rats) into their feeding room and lay them right inside the door.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat: Look mommy, look at what I did!
You: Ewe.
Cat: Did you see mommy? I want you to have it!
Cat: I did a good job right? I'm a good hunter and protector eh?

:D

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most cats with a steady source of food will kill for fun more than food. They don't need to eat their catches and it's a lot of work to eat a mouse compared to cat food. Crickets and small insects are a chruncy treat so those will usually still be eaten. Some cats do bring in their coaches for their owners as either an urge to help feed their owners or show them how to hunt or to show off, depending on who you ask.

I know in my house, Nightfury brings in mice and lizards for the other two cats. He's been providing for them since they were babies, teaching them to hunt and giving them plenty of practice. Rocket though likes to leave hers outside, my guess is her feral starting made her less inclined to share. But my guys rarely eat the mice they catch and some mice even survive the experience (assuming they aren't caught by Rocket).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow...I love these stories. My other 2 cats LOVE their buggies. While looking at a kill, a pit bull ambled up our driveway. Our male ran towards him arched, tail fluffed and ready to attack. I guess my family is helpless. I've got a feeder and a protector.