not covering poop

DJJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All of a sudden one of my cats has stopped covering his poop. My schedule has not changed. I have not changed their food. Litter has not changed. I still have two litter boxes. The internet states (one option) that he could be trying to establish dominance over his brother. They are almost two. Any other ideas?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it look like a physical pain might be stopping him? If not, I would also check if there was a reason he was trying to go somewhere else asap.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have they been together all this time? If so, I doubt that the one is just now trying to establish dominance over the other one. Are they both neutered? Has the consistency of his stool changed any? Sometimes, if a cat is having digestive tract issues, they will change their behavior about litter box use.

How many times has this happened? If only once, or randomly, it could just be possible that the litter box is a little 'dirtier' than he likes? Cats can change their litter box cleanliness preferences at any given time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DJJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I got them both at 8 weeks old and they are neutered. Ernie (the culprit I believe) has been doing this off and on for the last few weeks, not daily. They go at night mostly so I don't see him doing it, but I will be listening/watching to catch him in the act. I will start cleaning it twice a day and see if that helps. Ernie goes right on the edge or just over it. One litter box is in a cabinet and there the poop is sitting on the box's edge while the other is an open litter box and the poop is on the floor right next to the edge. He must be standing in the box and going on top of the side.
Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully, cleaning the boxes out more frequently will solve the problem. You could also consider getting boxes that are a bit bigger, in case the size has anything to do with it.

Just keep an eye out for a consistency change in the poop when you find it outside the box. While Feeby is WAY older (15+ yo) than your cats, I have noticed that if she stands to poop (not over the top, but on the side) it is usually when the stool is softer. I just chalk hers up to a tad bit of digestive issues due to her age, as she doesn't do it all the time either. With your cats being so young, it could be that one of the foods you are feeding them sometimes just doesn't wholeheartedly 'agree' with Ernie's digestive tract.

kz59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my indoor girl wouldn't bury her poop, those times it was runny and smelled really bad (i was considering a hazmat suit and gas mask :D) she was always a bit smelly, but never this awful. not kidding, there have been times i cleaned out the litterbox, went to the bathroom and vomited. i thought it was bad gut bacteria, but we finally figured it out: Weruva Goldie Lox that i've been using for the last year as a topping to her usual Fancy Feast. i thought it was quality food, but looks like she can't digest it. replaced it with Applaws chicken and rice, and we smell like roses.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our kittens stopped covering as well. He's 4 months old now and when he was younger he covered both pee and poop - in fact he was the first of the 5 kittens that used the box first. Then about a month ago - he stopped covering. He still goes through the motion, but paws at the side of box, or outside the box - he is clearly just going through the motion and not trying to accomplish the task. The other 4 cats we have (his brother, his sister, and 2 parents) all cover - and he sees them covering.

I don't know why this behavior began or how to re-train him to cover his poops!