Not Consuming Enough Water

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I am new here and kinda a new pet parent. My cat used to be my friend's/housemate's cat but now she lives with me as she was being neglected in her other home. Though it wasn't extreme neglect it was neglect nonetheless and we thought it best I take her. She is doing well, for the most part, however, she isn't drinking as much water as I would like for her to drink. She eats a diet of both wet and dry foods and I often add water to her foods but I would love for her to drink water from the bowl. She only drinks from the bowl once or twice a day, usually in the middle of the night. I can tell her skin is kinda dry because she has a lot of dandruff and I feel like if she drank more water it would help. How can I motivate her to consume more water?

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Some cats (especially one of mine!) prefer running water. There are many fountains available in a variety of price ranges that might encourage her to drink more water. Considering she eats wet food with some added water and is drinking at night, she's likely getting enough but a fountain might encourage more. Good luck :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Some cats (especially one of mine!) prefer running water. There are many fountains available in a variety of price ranges that might encourage her to drink more water. Considering she eats wet food with some added water and is drinking at night, she's likely getting enough but a fountain might encourage more. Good luck :-)
Thanks! I will try a fountain and see if that makes a difference. I just worry because it's hot and I don't want her to be dehydrated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! welcome!!
You could try an ice cube in the bowl now and then, try raising the bowl a little bit off the floor, try several bowls scattered throughout the house.

Also, if you aren't already, try filtering the water, she might not like the taste. A faucet end style works well.

Also, for her skin/dandruff, additionally you could add some fish oil (as long as she doesn't have any allergies/sensitivites) to her food, human supplement 1000 mg works just fine.

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! welcome!!
You could try an ice cube in the bowl now and then, try raising the bowl a little bit off the floor, try several bowls scattered throughout the house.

Also, if you aren't already, try filtering the water, she might not like the taste. A faucet end style works well.

Also, for her skin/dandruff, additionally you could add some fish oil (as long as she doesn't have any allergies or issues) to her food, human supplement 1000 mg works just fine.
Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely try the fish oil and raising the bowl! I do add ice cubes to her water to make sure she's staying cool, though she doesn't seem to care.

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome! So glad you're taking care of her and giving her a loving home. Do you know if she's had a check up recently? Yearly vet visits if she's younger and twice a year once she's a senior is recommended.

Since you can't get your cat to drink much water, you could try fancy feast or sheba broths added as a topper to her wet food. Chewy sells a few other broths too or you can make your own. You want to avoid human grade broths though since they have ingredients that aren't suitable for pets like onion and garlic

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome! So glad you're taking care of her and giving her a loving home. Do you know if she's had a check up recently? Yearly vet visits if she's younger and twice a year once she's a senior is recommended.

Since you can't get your cat to drink much water, you could try fancy feast or sheba broths added as a topper to her wet food. Chewy sells a few other broths too or you can make your own. You want to avoid human grade broths though since they have ingredients that aren't suitable for pets like onion and garlic
Thanks! She hasn't been to a vet recently but I am planning to take her soon!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can check with a skin pinch test to see if she's actually dehydrated. Pinch the skin up behind her shoulders and let go. It should pop back down into place immediately if she is getting enough water. If is slowly sinks back into place, then she isn't drinking enough.

The flaky skin is probably more related to a food ingredient.