Not-by-choice caretaker to abandoned or lost cat

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As of Friday late afternoon, I have become the caretaker to a cat I found in my garage. I kept it (it's a she, I think) in my garage Friday night, but reluctantly moved her inside yesterday because the garage is just too hot. She is confined to a bedroom that, thankfully, Feeby hasn't frequented for months. Feeby has even walked by the room with no interest in why the door is closed! I hope it stays that way - given Feeby has never met another cat that she didn't want to try to kill!! I have propped up a screen and cardboard against the door, so neither one can get close to the other underneath the door.

I've listed her on NextDoor, PawBoost, and FB. Put a few flyers in the immediate neighborhood, which were probably destroyed by the rain overnight. And, I have a couple of rescuers who will try to help me out in following all the upcoming steps that will need to be taken going forward. Each of these rescuers have over a dozen cats apiece they are already taking care of; however, one of them who has 19 cats volunteered to take her in (would be in a garage :(). If not so many cats already, I would have let her take this cat because I really am concerned about what happens when Feeby figures out what is going on.

This cat is front-paw declawed, does not appear to have fleas, has been well taken care of (even seems to have had her back claws recently trimmed). Wears a collar, but it does not contain any contact information on the inside - nor any tags. She was scanned (not by a vet, by a neighbor rescuer) and does not appear to have a chip, at least that we could detect. She is very loving, and wants to be petted. She will let me pick her up for a minute or so before getting antsy, and is mostly very docile - although I might have riled her up a bit by removing her collar and then putting it back on her - as, she bit my hand but very, very gently. I have no idea how old she is; some who have seen her pic thinks she an older cat, but I am not sure. I am just throwing out maybe 5ish??

She had a normal BM shortly after she showed up; but since has had diarrhea and has thrown up a couple of times (mostly liquid). I am guessing that it is because the FF pates I am giving her is entirely different from what she used to eat. I tried dry food, but doesn't seem interested.

I guess the only questions I have right now are:
1.) should I try to feed her something else??
2.) is visiting with her 5-10 minutes every few hours enough, not enough, too much?

Other advice is welcome! Thanks.

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, she looks a little round in the middle. She is either a middle aged cat or pregnant. Did you feel her belly?

As far as food, I would leave both wet and dry. She could have eaten something outdoors that doesn’t agree with her . And I think your visit schedule is fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think she is pregnant from feel, but sure looks like it. I can't find a spay scar on her, but she isn't one of those cats who likes belly rubs, so getting a really good view is hard. She has rolled over on her back for me, and I just don't see a scar. She has a very light underbelly - I thought that would help in seeing one, but I guess not. I can't imagine someone would have had her front paws declawed and left her intact - but, anything is possible.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She seems well looked after so hopefully someone will claim her. Have you contacted the vets in your area incase someone has told them they have lost their cat. Would you consider keeping her if Feeby will let you? The diarrhoea could be because of the strange environment etc. Any time you are able to spend with her is fine. Has Feeby smelt her on you, any reaction?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She seems well looked after so hopefully someone will claim her. Have you contacted the vets in your area incase someone has told them they have lost their cat. Would you consider keeping her if Feeby will let you? The diarrhoea could be because of the strange environment etc. Any time you are able to spend with her is fine. Has Feeby smelt her on you, any reaction?
I didn't call vets - will call ones today if they are open, or tomorrow otherwise. I wash my hands after handling either cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmm, she looks a little round in the middle.... Fingers crossed she is micro chipped
The thing is that the sides of her belly area protrude some (looking from over top of her), and she does have the primordial pouch. Feeby has the pouch too, but her belly does not do that. Do some cats carry weight that way?
No chip showed up with my neighbor's scanner.

Would you consider keeping her if Feeby will let you?
If Feeby didn't try to kill her, my husband would try to kill me. He was already NOT happy that I brought her inside.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing is that the sides of her belly area protrude some (looking from over top of her), and she does have the primordial pouch. Feeby has the pouch too, but her belly does not do that. Do some cats carry weight that way?
No chip showed up with my neighbor's scanner.
Not usually quite that much but I know even experienced cat rescuers can be fooled occasionally. But with that kind of a bulge you should be able to feel a fairly firm belly if she was pregnant. If she lets you pick her up you might be able to tell better. My Willow is fat and if I pick her up she is all jelly.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She is very lucky to have strayed onto your property. I think that your visiting schedule is fine; it is what I do in that situation. I agree that wet and dry food are both good choices and since you aren't psychic there is no point in buying one of everything just to see what she eats.

I also find it very odd that a vet would declaw a cat and not say, at the same time, that she should be fixed. Certainly hope that she has an owner who is looking for her and that this is just some freak accident like someone left a door opened.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also find it very odd that a vet would declaw a cat and not say, at the same time, that she should be fixed. Certainly hope that she has an owner who is looking for her and that this is just some freak accident like someone left a door opened.
No one in the neighborhood (especially the cat lovers) recognizes this cat, and I have never seen this one before myself. We do have some 'wandering' cats around, s/he is not one of them.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, years ago I found an older dog, clearly well fed and just groomed wandering down my street. Long story short, I did have him for the last three years of his life. My vet postulated that he might have belonged to an older person who passed on and the family just let him go or he wandered off and they did not look for him. Like your girl, he was even overweight.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another 'booty' check resulted in a hiss - so I just said 'OK, maybe later' :running:... Knocking on wood, no vomit all day. And, I am not sure about stool - just have to keep watching - s/he may have gone 'the other way'!! :paranoid:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
UPDATE:

'Temp' owners DO NOT want her. Their son dumped her on his mom/dad (my neighbor) for a younger cat. Her name is Lola, she is 7-8 yo, spayed, declawed, and a previous rescue about 4 years ago by the son's now wife.

Lola has been living in my neighbor's backyard for about 2 months now. She will stay there once again (unless she leaves again, HOPE NOT), until a new home can be found. People suck.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder how long it will be before the son dumps this new younger cat. What is wrong with people.
I hate to say it, but 'abandoned' cat (Lola) was not the son's cat - just his new wife's cat - so, maybe something there??? Also, the son says that this docile loving cat, Lola, 'tortured' the cat he is keeping when the cat was a baby. I am thinking that the kitten just annoyed the hell out of this cat and she retaliated. Now that the younger cat is older, he was torturing this sweet girl. That is likely just a domination issue that could have been handled. Instead these people feel the younger cat is justified in torturing the older cat because of what went on before. They just don't understand cats, nor do they apparently want to put out the effort to try.
I am sorry that you are involved in this and sorry that one more cat has been discarded.
Thank you. But, so far only the older cat has been discarded - not to say the younger one that was kept won't be eventually. They call the cat they are keeping "Nightmare" - because he abused Lola - so you tell me what the future holds for him...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, here we are again. Lola got out of neighbor's backyard - this time who knows how. Another neighbor found her last night and took her in. But, this neighbor cannot keep her (long story) and has Lola housed in a tiny room full of junk right now - Lola is not happy. Let Lola's temp owner know she got out again, and will wait for next steps as this person is currently at work all day today.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it, but 'abandoned' cat (Lola) was not the son's cat - just his new wife's cat - so, maybe something there??? Also, the son says that this docile loving cat, Lola, 'tortured' the cat he is keeping when the cat was a baby. I am thinking that the kitten just annoyed the hell out of this cat and she retaliated. Now that the younger cat is older, he was torturing this sweet girl. That is likely just a domination issue that could have been handled. Instead these people feel the younger cat is justified in torturing the older cat because of what went on before. They just don't understand cats, nor do they apparently want to put out the effort to try.

Thank you. But, so far only the older cat has been discarded - not to say the younger one that was kept won't be eventually. They call the cat they are keeping "Nightmare" - because he abused Lola - so you tell me what the future holds for him...
I would report them for animal abuse. Seriously, throwing an animal out is not something that should go unchecked (especially one that is declawed), if they've done it once they will probably do it again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First off - no one technically threw out this cat. The neighbor offered to take her from their son and has had her for 2 months in their fenced-in backyard, with no previous escapes. Why she is getting out now is anyone's guess. Secondly, reporting them for animal abuse - if the abuse allegation were to be taken seriously - would result in the county claiming ownership of cat. They hold them for 5 days in an attempt to find a foster or new home, and while they don't explicitly state what happens after Day 5 - it is typically euthanasia.