Not Again

baxtersmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is an older post but I just wanted to jump in. All three of my cats died at home. The first one died of old age during the night. My husband found her the next morning. The second one had mouth cancer. I hand fed her for a couple of weeks and had decided that I would be taking her in to be euthanized Monday. She died that Saturday night with me holding her little paw in my hand and petting her. The last one died last Saturday. Scooter had hyperthyroidism. We had taken him to the vet and gotten medication. I was sure he would be getting better. Unfortunately, he didn't. His death was not the peaceful death I would have wanted for him. By the time I realized that he was dying it was too late to take him to the vet to be euthanized. I sat on the floor with him, petting him and talking to him. I wish so badly that I had known how sick he was. The way he died haunts my memory. He struggled to breath and had several seizures. With one of the seizures he lifted his head and slammed it back down on the wood floor. I tried to pick him up and put him on a soft blanket. By this time he was in the final stages of death and me trying to move him made him think he was being attacked and couldn't protect himself. He hissed at me out of fear. I can't get the images out of my mind. I feel so guilty for not knowing how sick he really was. If I could do it all over again I would have had him euthanized. When he finally took his last breath I crumbled. I cried harder than I've ever cried in my life. He didn't deserve to die that way. I know most of us dream of them dying peacefully on their own terms. But watching him struggle and fight death makes me ashamed. It's been a week and two days and I still can't get the images out of my head. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you see signs that she's ready to go, help her go with grace. I would give anything in the world to go back in time and let my Scooter die with dignity. To be able to hold him on my lap and tell him goodbye and let him drift off to sleep. You still have that chance.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't get the images out of my mind. I feel so guilty for not knowing how sick he really was. If I could do it all over again I would have had him euthanized. When he finally took his last breath I crumbled. I cried harder than I've ever cried in my life. He didn't deserve to die that way.
I can only imagine how bad it felt at that time and how bad it still feels now.
My cat died in the night, alone, without me next to her. I will never forgive myself for leaving her alone in her last moments :bawling:

baxtersmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can only imagine how bad it felt at that time and how bad it still feels now.
My cat died in the night, alone, without me next to her. I will never forgive myself for leaving her alone in her last moments :bawling:
It seems we feel the guilt no matter what happens. I certainly understand how you feel.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Bobo passed away at home this Christmas Eve morning.
Mama loves you Bobo.
I am sorry to read this, I hope the ending was not painful and it is nice that she passed in the home with those who loved her. She made it almost 2 months after your original post so you and her did very well and I hope that the days spent together provided some nice memories.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

Sorry for your loss, she is fine now, just fine. God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let the peace around her now and her love for you surround you. You did everything you could for all of them. They know you did and that you loved them with all your heart. Love survives the transformation. They will always be with you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart cries for your pain, especially in this season of love. Nothing anyone can say will take away that pain, my prayers are with you and that precious cat. RIP dear BoBo......

baxtersmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I don't come on this site much anymore as I no longer have any cats. I pray that time will allow your heart to heal a bit. RIP Bobo.