Not Again

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted in August about losing my bottle baby of ten years old. Now my senior lady of 27 days shy of 16 years old is going downhill fast. She has been ill with many issues the past year. I am sure she has “sundown syndrome” on top of her medical problems.
I’m calling a vet that does house calls tomorrow because her dementia is so bad anything new sends her into a mess.
I’m almost certain what the mobile vet will say. I even consulted with them on Friday. They are basically coming to give her an exam and bringing, god forbid, euthanasia meds.
I find it’s different from losing my baby in August that was a surprise medical death. But my old lady we have known is not well. At this point she has to be confined to a huge master bath due to no control of bodily functions. But I have a heated bed, classical music, all the catnip she wants and ugh fancy feast cat food because that’s all she will take.
I hate playing God but I also pray she will pass before they get here.
Our whole family goes in and spends time with her. Please pray for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I feel like I’m playing God, I don’t believe in Death penalty and for myself I want all life saving measures. But my Bo has no voice I only see her eyes. Hear her sad cry. It goes against my being to kill another life but I cannot let one of my best friends that have no human voice suffer. I will listen and ask the home vet their expertise and I hope if it’s the end that knowing a vet agreeing will help my sad selfish wanting to keep my baby here will give me peace

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I feel like I’m playing God, I don’t believe in Death penalty and for myself I want all life saving measures. But my Bo has no voice I only see her eyes. Hear her sad cry. It goes against my being to kill another life but I cannot let one of my best friends that have no human voice suffer. I will listen and ask the home vet their expertise and I hope if it’s the end that knowing a vet agreeing will help my sad selfish wanting to keep my baby here will give me peace

I hate euthanasia as much as the next guy but sometimes it's ALL we can do.
I don't consider it playing God unless you have a healthy, happy, active, bright eyed cat and decide they meow too much and annoy you sometimes, or scratched up your couch a little, etc., and decide to euthanize them over it, out of selfish convenience. That I feel is taking something that should be a gift to the suffering that have been kept alive and well, and abusing the crap out of it.

This is just my own way of looking at things, so please no one send me hate mail or anything.
Say you have a cat or a dog that is very sick with an illness. You get medications, it helps them a little. Eventually, the medications don't work as well and they are left with no quality of life, whatsoever. They don't eat, they don't drink, they don't move and when they do they cry out in pain, they don't respond to you, etc.
The vet could maybe prescribe a medication that will keep them drugged to the point of half unconsciousness 24 hours a day, or euthanasia can be done.

When the cat or dog first got sick, without human help, Nature would take them out, probably very soon. Cycle of life.
We were given nice, big brains to figure stuff out and make things like medications that can help give quality of life and buy some time, sometimes years. We were also given these brains to provide at home care during anything end stage illness related, and we do it because it's the right thing to do.
When it comes to keeping a very sick and miserable animal alive vs. euthanizing (because we used our knowledge to give them more time that Nature would have snatched away in the first place), I don't PERSONALLY feel euthanasia is playing God at all in these circumstances. If they're quiet and somewhat content, we can use medications to keep them with us while we come to terms with what's happening.
I've kept extremely miserable animals alive because I couldn't deal with the euthanasia, and I regret that. Euthanasia for convenience is like playing God, to me, but so is keeping a living thing that's in constant misery alive just because I and modern medicine CAN. There's no "good" answer, it is based on so many factors and every situation is it's own, and individual.

There's always two sides to the story and situation, and no one here can tell you what's right. Talk to this vet about their honest feelings and opinions and consider the fact that you're stressing over this so badly a sign of character that a lot of humans today are lacking. :grouphug: I know it's little comfort, but we know the frustrations you're experiencing. Hang in there. We'll be thinking of you.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate euthanasia as much as the next guy but sometimes it's ALL we can do.
I don't consider it playing God unless you have a healthy, happy, active, bright eyed cat and decide they meow too much and annoy you sometimes, or scratched up your couch a little, etc., and decide to euthanize them over it, out of selfish convenience. That I feel is taking something that should be a gift to the suffering that have been kept alive and well, and abusing the crap out of it.

This is just my own way of looking at things, so please no one send me hate mail or anything.
Say you have a cat or a dog that is very sick with an illness. You get medications, it helps them a little. Eventually, the medications don't work as well and they are left with no quality of life, whatsoever. They don't eat, they don't drink, they don't move and when they do they cry out in pain, they don't respond to you, etc.
The vet could maybe prescribe a medication that will keep them drugged to the point of half unconsciousness 24 hours a day, or euthanasia can be done.

When the cat or dog first got sick, without human help, Nature would take them out, probably very soon. Cycle of life.
We were given nice, big brains to figure stuff out and make things like medications that can help give quality of life and buy some time, sometimes years. We were also given these brains to provide at home care during anything end stage illness related, and we do it because it's the right thing to do.
When it comes to keeping a very sick and miserable animal alive vs. euthanizing (because we used our knowledge to give them more time that Nature would have snatched away in the first place), I don't PERSONALLY feel euthanasia is playing God at all in these circumstances. If they're quiet and somewhat content, we can use medications to keep them with us while we come to terms with what's happening.
I've kept extremely miserable animals alive because I couldn't deal with the euthanasia, and I regret that. Euthanasia for convenience is like playing God, to me, but so is keeping a living thing that's in constant misery alive just because I and modern medicine CAN. There's no "good" answer, it is based on so many factors and every situation is it's own, and individual.

There's always two sides to the story and situation, and no one here can tell you what's right. Talk to this vet about their honest feelings and opinions and consider the fact that you're stressing over this so badly a sign of character that a lot of humans today are lacking. :grouphug: I know it's little comfort, but we know the frustrations you're experiencing. Hang in there. We'll be thinking of you.
I so agree some people think pets are disposable if they scratch pee what not. I’ve been helping her through her accidents by cleaning them. and now not being able to see or hear well she gets lost in the home she has known for the past 5 years. The crying that no cuddling can appease. The true trust she has always had in me makes me feel sad that I hold her life pain and suffering in my hands.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I so agree some people think pets are disposable if they scratch pee what not. I’ve been helping her through her accidents by cleaning them. and now not being able to see or hear well she gets lost in the home she has known for the past 5 years. The crying that no cuddling can appease. The true trust she has always had in me makes me feel sad that I hold her life pain and suffering in my hands.
All you can do is try to get some rest and talk to the vet tomorrow.
You've given, and are giving her, hospice care, end of story. You do that because you love her, and it's the decent, humane, and kind thing to do.
I hope the vet will have an idea that might make her comfortable and give her some time. :alright:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is one of the most painful things that you will ever do in your life, we feel like we should be able to help them no matter what because we are 100% responsible for them, but sometimes there is nothing more that we or vets can do, and it sounds like her quality of life is not good anymore, she will let you know when she is ready to go and maybe she is doing that already, but you are doing all that you can for her, I am so sorry that you all have to endure this, but the vet will tell you what they think is best and you will decide. And if they do put her down, I have always seen when they are truly ready to go and worn down from fighting they pass within seconds, there is no struggle they are ready to go and thankful to be relieved of their pain riddled body, but it is an awful position to be in I know.

I hope that things work out for you and her and for the best and will keep you in our prayers, and remember it is was is best for her that is the most importance but is the toughest on you.

Lord give you strength and wisdom to make the proper choices, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is one of the most painful things that you will ever do in your life, we feel like we should be able to help them no matter what because we are 100% responsible for them, but sometimes there is nothing more that we or vets can do, and it sounds like her quality of life is not good anymore, she will let you know when she is ready to go and maybe she is doing that already, but you are doing all that you can for her, I am so sorry that you all have to endure this, but the vet will tell you what they think is best and you will decide. And if they do put her down, I have always seen when they are truly ready to go and worn down from fighting they pass within seconds, there is no struggle they are ready to go and thankful to be relieved of their pain riddled body, but it is an awful position to be in I know.

I hope that things work out for you and her and for the best and will keep you in our prayers, and remember it is was is best for her that is the most importance but is the toughest on you.

Lord give you strength and wisdom to make the proper choices, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:
That's when responsibility sucks. When we go through all of this with them, and the options come to a dead end road, we do all we can to keep them happy. When we realize Nature would have taken them months ago and that we're out of options, making that choice feels almost like a slap in the face. There is no worse feeling. But having done it many times, as times goes by you kind of become OK with it. You never "like" it, but when the emotion of the actual act passes and the hurt stops hurting so much, you can look at the situation, remember the facts vs. the emotions and tell yourself you DID do the right thing.
bbdoll22 bbdoll22 , if you're a praying sort of person you can always give a prayer and tell your God that you don't want to take his role on in this decision, but you've done all you can and the medications and comfort care have ran their course, and thank him for allowing you to be the care taker for this little pet during their time here.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course we will be with you in your time of need, I will pray that you find the strength in your love, to end something that cannot be cured, to to end an existence, not a life. Because that is what your precious little one is doing right now, enduring, existing, suffering..... not really living. Let the vet, with their considerable experience, help you, guide you, on what to do. Believe me, I prayed as hard as I ever have to let my sweet boy die in his sleep, but it rarely happens, and a natural death is not pain and fear free, because all living things fight against it so hard....For now just hold on to her, tell her what a good girl she is, that you are with her now and always will be. She needs your strength, but she already knows she will always have your love because it is a part of her.
When you are able, come back and tell us of this wonderful little girl. We will celebrate her life, and mourn her passing with you. For now concentrate on remembering the good times, as she was, because that is what she would want, not dwelling on sadness taht is in your life at the moment. Take care, may the good Lord bless you both, and welcome her to the Rainbow Bridge where she will be safe and warm, and whole once again.....

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the kinds words and thinking of us. I feel like I’m on a roller coaster. Around midnight she ate heartily and kept it down. She used her litter box and this morning she bright eyed and talkative. Such an improvement!! It’s obviously not her time yet. Please continue to think of us and if you pray (we do) keep us in your prayers. Thanks again and love from us.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers work! Take the extended time you have been given with a full heart and treasure every moment!
Oh I will. I’ve shut all bedroom doors so she doesn’t have an accident so she’s hanging out with me in the living room. She has all her wits about her today not getting lost, no screaming. It’s wonderful. I will be lavishing her with love

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the kinds words and thinking of us. I feel like I’m on a roller coaster. Around midnight she ate heartily and kept it down. She used her litter box and this morning she bright eyed and talkative. Such an improvement!! It’s obviously not her time yet. Please continue to think of us and if you pray (we do) keep us in your prayers. Thanks again and love from us.
I broke into the broadest smile I've had all day when I read this. Bravo, little cat!! Sometimes they just rally up and things are good for a long time. Maybe she just had a bug or something and wasn't feeling well. Sometimes the older ones take it harder (boy do I know, a simple cold turns me into a whiner!)

So happy for you! I hope this improvement continues for a very long time...and you yourself can get some much needed R&R.
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry I haven’t updated. She has her good day(s) and they are great then back to where we think she’s on deaths doorstep. But every time I call the vet to come to help her to heaven they need 24 hours she’s great the next day. Up walking eating getting and asking for loving. She’s deaf as can be to certain tones but when having a good day if I talk high pitched she can hear me. She’s not told me she is ready yet. She has more good days than bad
Unfortunately this can all change in a heartbeat.