Not affected by catnip?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love catnip, to the point where they come sprinting when I shake the container. They will push each other out of the way to get the first sniff and taste. However, they have no reaction once they have licked it up. They don't get hyper, nor do they seem spaced out. They act 100% normal, and once the catnip is all eaten up, they simply go on with their days. Is this common, where cats love catnip but show no outward signs of a reaction? I thought they like it because it did something to them, not because it smells and tastes good.

BTW, I only give them catnip once a week or less.

Last edited:

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all cats are affected by catnip.

Question though, where did you get the catnip from? I find the cheap stuff you buy at, say, walmart doesn't do much. (At least in my experience). I get mine from the specialty store I get my cat food from and Parker LOVES it. He goes crazy for it and gets really playful for a bit afterwards. There are some cats who like it but just don't get anything from it. RB Sami was like that. She would eat it like it was the best thing ever, then just go to sleep.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried honeysuckle?

And yeah, some cats just like the smell and taste of the stuff. Not every cat reacts the same way. I think maybe the scent of it just triggers something in their kitty brains that makes them feel warm and fuzzy, kind of like the smell of your grandma's cooking might do for you. (Well, assuming your grandma can cook. Mine can. She makes the best lentil soup in the universe.)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't give it to my cats to eat. I give them the catnip toys, and the rub and drool all over them. But I have two cats that don't react to it at all. None of them react to honeysuckle. :dk:

Cats do become "immune" to catnip, but as you give it once a week or less, that wouldn't be the issue.

All of that said, there is a MAJOR difference in catnip quality. :nod: I always use the organic, it seems to make such a difference.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or you can grow your own! Last I had a porch to grow things on, though, I used to have to cover up the catnip in chicken wire, or else the local ferals would come and chew it up before it had a chance to grow. Fresh catnip is something else! My cats went crazy for it.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to grow catnip, peg a large wire hanging basket upside over the plant. 

I also think that kittens are not interested, regardless of their reaction as adults.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you want to grow catnip, peg a large wire hanging basket upside over the plant. 

I also think that kittens are not interested, regardless of their reaction as adults.
Hm
good to know

I tried organic catnip with my older kitten and got no reaction. He's a year old now. maybe I'll try again in another year and see he still has no interest.