Not Accepting New Kitten ;(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Conniew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He ran away and hid, it look a while to get him to come back out to play with me he seemed a bit nervous but that may have been my fault as I clapped loudly to seperate them

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Clapping is probably scarier to him than wrestling. I know it looks like fighting to us, but that's playing for them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking it may have been your clapping that startled him. And I'm pretty sure the videos you've posted are of cats playing not fighting.

I'm going to tag Kieka Kieka who has a couple videos of her cats playing to let you see that play can look a lot like fighting.

Conniew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much.

I feel like I’m just here moaning all the time! I promise I’m not trying to I’m just worried it’s been almost 5 months and it’s just disheartening every time I think they’re “fighting” I love them both to bits and I’d hate it to come down to rehoming chase. But I WILL keep trying everything possible I won’t let it come to that. They WILL tolerate each other if it’s the last thing I do haha. I have had cats before when I was younger and do remember the same scuffles but they were the same size so it seemed so different I guess

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I went back through and watched the videos. They are playing. There is no indication of distress or unease in your videos. Normal play. Promise. Just let them be and let them enjoy their games.

I my video of the two pointed the boy is 13 pounds to the girls 7 pounds. He has never once hurt her. Even when she was 1 pound kitten to his 8 pound year old self. Trust me, she rules that relationship.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, please let them get used to each other. If you keep separating them when they're just playing (even if it gets a little rough -- that's fine!), you'll just continue to stress yourself out, when there's really no need, and you won't be allowing them the time to learn each others' limits. There is absolutely no reason at all to consider rehoming.

Conniew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View media item 421929View media item 420658
Remember that play is practice for fighting so it can sometimes look serious. A good rule of thumb is no blood, no fur flying, no problem.
Oh my gosh! I don’t think I’ve ever seen more beautiful cats than yours!!

Them videos are exactly how it is with Marley and Chase! Except there’s no room for chase to even attempt to fight back with him as he’s so big and strong, that’s what worried me. It’ll go on and on with Marley throwing him around until I intervene, but I have noticed sometimes Marley challenges him and runs off and calls him to follow.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my gosh! I don’t think I’ve ever seen more beautiful cats than yours!!

Them videos are exactly how it is with Marley and Chase! Except there’s no room for chase to even attempt to fight back with him as he’s so big and strong, that’s what worried me. It’ll go on and on with Marley throwing him around until I intervene, but I have noticed sometimes Marley challenges him and runs off and calls him to follow.
Thank you.

You really should take a giant step back and let them sort it out. It's like when you have children, if Mom is always getting in the middle the kids ever learn how to play alone. They will be fine, they will learn their boundaries but not unless you step back.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah how is the little one distressed at all? They are both playing. Let them be please lol.

Conniew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies
I’ve relaxed a lot with them now I think we’re getting somewhere
This was today - guessing this is just dominance behaviour. This can go on for upto 15 minutes until they seperate and little one runs off and hides. Hopefully he’ll become more confident with him

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That video seems to be your big one giving the little one a "time out." They do that to set the kittens straight on what isn't acceptable behavior.

My two do it to the kitten sometimes if she gets to be a PITA!