Not a Cat but...

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...a Snake.

As well as my fur kids, I also have scale kids. Tonight we lost our albino Kingsnake, Nigel. We got him in 2006 and we were told he was 7 years old then so that made him 23. He was quite a character and escaped once (we discovered a gap in the side of the viv where the wood glue had dried out and we think he got out that way) and was missing for 5 months. I thought I'd never see him again but one morning, I was in the kitchen having my coffee and went through to the livingroom. I got the shock of my life when I opened the door and there was Nigel, striking at the cats who were trying to catch him. I grabbed him by the tail, he wasn't happy about that and struck out at me but in typical Kingsnake fashion, missed. I put him back in the viv. I'd never switched his viv heating off so perhaps something in me thought he was still alive which he was.

He was very skinny after his adventure but soon put back on weight after a few good feeds. We think he survived by waiting until the cats were sleeping and slithering under the gap of the kitchen door and drinking water from the water bowls. He would have used that one as the other bowls would have made him vulnerable to the cats. Snakes are more intelligent than people think.

He really was a character and we will miss him.

That now makes 3 of my family I have lost this year - Tia, Chico and now Nigel.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Nigel, dream you deep. You live in someone's heart forever.

While I am not a "snake person," I know more than one, and I know that attachment can be very deep. I am so sorry for your loss of Nigel. I know he was much loved.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Being a snake mom myself in the past I certainly agree that there's more to them than people see. RIP beautiful clever Nigel :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you....whether fur or scales, they all have personalities and are capable of love. They are another creature that is hated by many for no good reason, just like our beloved cats. I had one of my huge bullsnakes escape when I was a kid. He was molting so not in a good mood either. He was gone for a week too and then one day I heard my mom scream loud enough to bring the house down, he was in the canning room, wrapped around the fruit jars! I guess it was a jolt to see a 5-foot-long bullsnake hissing at you in a darkened room!
You will always have a spot in your heart for him, to be remembered after death is a great honor. If a creature is breathing, they have a soul. He will always be a part of you and will be as close as your thoughts and prayers. So send him good thoughts and love and he will do the same. please know I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers....RIP dear Nigel. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart.