Nose drops

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there anyway to give nose drops without feeling like a villain? They gave me a syringe to use but I ended up squirting it up, got a dropper and end up doing the same thing but with less. My cat acts like I’m trying to kill him, but breathes so much better when it’s over. I don’t even he him sore anymore. On the down side that does make him harder to find.... anyways are there any options?
Thanks

sanfran_kitty_lady_21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I have to give my cat meds, I accompany it with a treat. I put the treat and the medicine in the same bowl, show my cat the bowl so they know what's going on, and she's much less likely to run from getting meds and is way more cooperative (but, just to be transparent, I've only given oral meds).

I'd pick something your cat LOVES but rarely gets. My cat LOVES her old dry food so I give her a few pieces of dry food with the med. She will run after getting the med, but she comes back for the treat.

But, at least from my experience, I don't think cats ever act like getting meds is torture. But the treat did help make it less dramatic for me.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Treats will help, but also steel yourself against getting too drawn into the emotion that he projects onto you. You are helping him, even if he does not understand it. Some cats are this way in their approach to medication. My avatar has chin acne and acts as if I am trying to behead her if I apply anything to her chin, then carefully avoids the place where it happened, as if it is cursed.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My RB kitty, Hannah, had to routinely have drops. She loved cheese. We'd get her situated, give her some cheese, do a drop, give her cheese, do another drop, give more cheese.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the support and ideas. Sorry for the late reply in these messages.