Nose crusties

clmgordon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We rescued little Nova from a colony of cats living in a junk yard and we noticed that she had some black crusty looking stuff at the edge of her nostrils. I thought it was probably just dirt and that it would come off when she cleaned herself or during her flea bath. It didn't so I dipped a q-tip in a little bit of hydrogen peroxide and gently swabbed her nose until it came off, which was difficult. A day or two later I noticed she had the black crusty stuff at the edge of her nostrils again. I cleaned her nose a second time. Now the crusty stuff is back again. What could it be?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat boogers
It's normal for some cats to have crusty boogers around their nostrils. Just wipe the boogers off with a damp tissue, firmly scraping off the really stubborn ones. No hydrogen peroxide or other thing is needed.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep! Just boogies! Mooch gets them on her right nostril regularly. I only help her if its a big one or hanging; just because she doesn't appreciate the help!

ps hodermann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last time I had a kitten with a nose like that there was a bot fly larvae in it.

merci

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Could you actually see part of the larvae or did the vet find it? I have an ex-colony kitty, Low Rider, who is so stuffed up everyday that he needs cleaning/clearing with baby nose saline solution. Many colony feeders do give Lysine which should only be used for a set time period for actual symptoms, and not for ongoing supplementation. I've read it can cause ongoing sinus problems. One vet said it wasn't fungus after a culture was taken. Hss anyone had success clearing up a long term little 'snotty' nose?

Many thanks! >.o.<

Nan