Norwegian forest cat?

Umi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Umi comes from a shelter, we don't know a lot about her backstory.
She has a very affectionate character, needs to be close to her owners at all times, follows us around in the house and is very vocal.

The vet thinks she is a Norwegian Forest Cat. Could this be right or is she a mix?
What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Attachments

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! She is absolutely gorgeous! :happycat:
Take this with a grain of salt, because I am by no means an expert, but I would be inclined to say yes. I'm sure that somebody else will probably come along and confirm or deny this, though.

• Love
Reactions: Umi

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's lovely!

I would describe your cat as a brown classic tabby and white domestic longhair. The Norwegian Forest Cat is a longhaired cat with moderate type that often comes in this color and pattern. Because this breed has moderate type (not extreme), many cats have a general resemblance to this breed, without actually being related. Unless you are located in Europe where this breed is more popular, it's extremely unlikely you would find a Norwegian Forest Cat in a shelter. In Europe, it's more likely than in the United States, but still difficult to tell just from looking at the cat. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are also not "mixes" of breeds, unlike dogs.

Vets don't get any special training in cat breed identification, and because pedigreed cats are so rare in general, most vets don't see many (if any) pedigreed cats in the course of their work. I've seen vets confidently assert that a cat is a specific breed based on its resemblance to a cat breed poster that is in their office.