Northern VA community plans to kill cats

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so upset about this and I feel like there's nothing I can do. I've been crying for two days since I saw the news story and I can't find anything out about it anywhere.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines

They did have another article, very simliar to this one, that basically said the "trap and remove" program they'rea bout to embark on is going to take these cats to a shelter which will put them down because they have no space.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know.
I want to drive down there, start rounding them up and trying to take them somewhere else before these :censored: get their hands on them.

I have no idea where to take them, though.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by opilot

GOOD NEWS - the cats of Medow Hills ARE SAFE! I'll post the WAPO article, but for now, no more worries. Cats and residents will be staying together - no PTS!!!
That's wonderful!!!

Please post the article when you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness! I was about to drive down there with my five carriers and start collecting cats to go to non-kill shelters.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The cats are SAVED. From the Washington Post Local Virginia News:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031402882.html

(or go to the www.washingtonpost.com and look under the "local" Virginia news for the story!)

Cats get to stay, the ACA will provide Cat Stoppers, to deter cats, and covers for residents cars, plus construct special sandbox/litter boxes for the cats. Also fencing will be provided to keep cats out.

Residents continue to feed, they get feeding stations.
All is well.

Thank you all who worked on their behalf!!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're just going to have the same problem again in three years, and then what? Kill more?

I wonder if ACA can relocate a few of these cats? I know it's difficult to place a feral, but maybe there are barns that can take a half dozen cats or so...

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, if you read the story - they are relo ing the friendlys as they can, removing any litters born, and reducing the nos. as much as they can.

But they can't remove ALL 200 cats - that would just mean more ferals moving into the territory to perpetuate the problems. Total about 20 or so are really friendly, and may be re lo'd.

The groups working on this are dedicated. They WILL get ALL these cats TNR and ALL the friendly removed and/or homed out as they can.

Just a bit overwhleming to do it all at once.

They didn't have any national attention or help and now I think they do, so that they will have a better chance at getting this festering problem under control.

DC isn't bad for cats, but NOVA is SOO incredibly poorly served out in the outer burbs...

In our local trailer park there is a similar problem, but we've only got about 60 to do...still 10 at time if you can catch em, it takes a while to get em all!!

And every female fixed is a joy, one less breeder! Slowly getting the numbers down.

I have one of those kits coming back to me (long story, they screwed this poor kitten up so bad - claim they've never seen a "tame" cat revert to feral... ha - they didn't tame her right and I told em she had a mind of her own and they had to *respect* that.). We'll see if my no cage gentle, let a friendly cat show the way method will work better. Betch it does and she tames right back down with me.