Normally happy lowkey cat is grouchy because of an injury

Tuxedolove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back story, my 1.5 year old cat seemed to have hurt his foot a bit ago and was fine a day later, no limping or anything. However then last week he slipped jumping onto the toilet (he’s very clumsy) and again limped but then seemed fine. He’s now favouring his foot and seems to be in a bit of pain. I’m calling the vet tomorrow when they open to take him in so no worries about that. However my concern is with the interaction between my cats. Yesterday the one got spooked outside which scared my other cat and they had a little fight so I did the usual reintroduction like we do the odd time it happens. They’ve been fine all day and acting normal if not closer than they were before. However then my other cat went up to him wanting to play and grabbed his leg (she usually does this and he is fine, this indicated the urgency to call the vet even more) once she touched him he fell over as he usually does but let a little squeal and hissed at her. We diverted their attentions to avoid a fight. His hissing was odd and out of character as he has never hissed at anyone or my other cat before (unless something happened between the two and he wasn’t calmed and ready to be reintroduced). So I’m just wondering what anyone suggests I do until he can get into a vet. Should I just leave them together and keep an eye on them? Or keep them separated all the time or potentially just at night when there is no supervision? I’ve just never had an injured cat and I’m not sure what the best step is in making both him and her comfortable but safe at the same time. My worry is they will go at it again if he is provoked or she tries to play. Not sure if I’m just over reacting or not

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think keeping them separated tonight would be good, he seems pretty sore. Describe that interaction to the vet so they have a visual, so to speak that he's hurting enough to be cranky. Then see what they suggest regarding whether to keep him separated any longer after that. Sending hugs to all of you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tuxedolove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update, we kept them separated for the night and they seemed fine the next day, the vet said to just watch for any hostility and separate if we felt it was necessary. So far they’ve been good! We’re trying to keep him from being wild and jumping on everything until our appointment in a few days 🤞🏼 It’s just a pulled muscle or something minor

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So far they’ve been good! We’re trying to keep him from being wild and jumping on everything until our appointment in a few days
lol, I'm glad to hear you're having to work so hard to keep him from jumping :heartshape: