Normally affectionate cat hissing at me

speckledtail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My normally affectionate male cat, Bear, started hissing at me recently. He's an outdoor cat, about 10 years old, though I'm not completely sure exactly on his age. It always happens the same way, but I can't figure out the cause. I will be outside petting him, and he will suddenly get up, which makes me stop petting him, turn and hiss and/or growl at me. I jump back every time, because he is usually very close to me, and try to talk in a calm voice to him before he runs off. I haven't seen any other animals around when this happens. Could this be because he's getting old or could there be another reason?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If its happening directly following your stroking him, the first thing that comes to mind is a pain response. At 10+ years, I'd be wondering about arthritis or other age related conditions. I'd suggest a vet appointment to rule out any physical cause before looking for other explanations.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is Bear neutered? You mention he is an outdoor cat, a stray that you began taking care of? If he is not neutered, then this is the reason for him to turn and hiss/try to bite when too much petting is taking place. Some cats will often display this behavior even though they are altered though. They tend to become overstimulated with too much petting. Best to pet these types of cats on the head and under the chin/around the ears avoiding the body too much and especially the belly. If he is not neutered, you can contact your local TNR Organization (google in your county) and they will give you clinics you can bring Bear to that are very, very low-cost.

IF he is neutered and this behavior just began and is completely new, then a vet check is in order as he may be in some sort of pain or unwell. Best of luck with Bear!! :wavey:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

speckledtail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bear is not exactly a stray, he is the child of a stray we took in years ago, so we've had him his whole life. He is not neutered, though, as we do not have the money to get it done at the vet. I will try finding a TNR Organization nearby, but I have my doubts that there will be one nearby and if they will neuter him since he is not actually a stray, but the child of one.

He has also let me bet him anywhere on his body besides his belly multiple times before these incidents, though during the incidents, I have only been petting him on the head. 

I think the arthritis or something similar may be the more likely issue, so I'll try to get him into the vet as soon as possible.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bear is not exactly a stray, he is the child of a stray we took in years ago, so we've had him his whole life. He is not neutered, though, as we do not have the money to get it done at the vet. I will try finding a TNR Organization nearby, but I have my doubts that there will be one nearby and if they will neuter him since he is not actually a stray, but the child of one.

He has also let me bet him anywhere on his body besides his belly multiple times before these incidents, though during the incidents, I have only been petting him on the head. 

I think the arthritis or something similar may be the more likely issue, so I'll try to get him into the vet as soon as possible.
His behavior will change, as far as petting goes, during Spring/Summer breeding season if female cats are in hear outdoors. He will become more heightened and hypervigilant due to his hormones going in overdrive and he will overreact and become overstimulated by your petting.

Please do try to get him neutered because he is outside breeding other stray females and making more feral kittens. :shame: :sniffle: If you tell us your general location, we can try to help you find a TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return Organization). And YES - they will help with any and ALL stray cats - feral cats - and even friendly abandoned cats that people find. It is not just for truly feral cats. The TNR vets can give Bear a full exam, vaccinations, and check-up as well. But, really important, is that he get neutered so that more kittens are saved from being born into a world of uncertainty and suffering outside with no caretaker.

IF you have a vet already as you mention above, then the vet should be able to help you with a neuter? Neuter's are fairly inexpensive and an easy/quick procedure for most vets. Might they give you a break on cost since this was a cat born outside (basically stray) you took in?

Last edited:

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, please do get him neutered! I was just at PetSmart and went over to look at the kittens and cats up for adoption and it was heartbreaking. There were so many in just that one store and there were more in cages that looked like abandoned cats. Please try to find a TNR or post on here your location so that someone like @Feralvr  can help you find a TNR. There are definitely people and organizations out there working towards neutering and spaying strays to reduce the feral cat population, especially if you're in a city or largely populated area. It sounds like the cats themselves are happier after being neutered or spayed and it's better for their health. Each time Bear goes to an unspayed female, he could catch one of those easily transmitted cat diseases, I think.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, please do get him neutered! I was just at PetSmart and went over to look at the kittens and cats up for adoption and it was heartbreaking. There were so many in just that one store and there were more in cages that looked like abandoned cats.
It is heartbreaking at the very least. :sniffle: I see all of the kittens at the shelter I volunteer for and some are brought in from feral mom's and need some socializing. I just cried the other day over it. There was a tiny tiger kitten - male. He was crying and crying inside of his cage just wanting to be held which of course I obliged. He purred and purred and purred. He clung to me as I had to return him to his cage. Then, I left and bawled like a baby in my car knowing that there are so many others out there needing help and needing homes. My heart just broke having to leave that little baby crying in his cage. :bawling: There are just not enough homes to go around. People who don't see it firsthand by visiting a shelter, just do not understand the impact of not getting their cat spayed/neutered. :sigh:

speckledtail speckledtail This is in no way coming down hard on you at all. You are trying to be responsible with Bear and doing the right thing by saving him and giving him a home. Most people just do not even know about TNR Organizations! So you can help us spread the word out there too. :bigthumb: TNR works and saves many, many kittens from being born outside with no home.

Last edited: