Normal?!

Crazycatwmn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! Ive been watching Peko closely ever since she won’t stop her scratching and twitching fits. I’m not sure if this is normal because I can’t really remember if she used to do this. Her back “rolls” like this when she pees. Its very possible I’m overreactin. Thank you

I can’t attach the files from my phone but I put them on YouTube.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Have you had her in to the vet? Have you tried changing her food in case the twitching/itchy skin is being caused by food sensitivities?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t really tell much from the video. Is she just rolling her back muscles as she goes to the box? That makes me wonder about discomfort at that time. Itching too? Maybe her food is not agreeing with her. Any chance she might have a flea too? My cats ripple their skin of a flea runs on them. Whatever it may be, a vet check could help pin it down. Check her for fleas carefully. If you have changed her food lately, you will want to let the vet know. Watch her for any urinating problems or constipation too. Please do keep us updated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not to say it is the same, but Feeby makes a similar motion occasionally during her litter box visits. I swear sometimes she is 'forcing out' that last bit of pee or poop! She doesn't do frequently, so I don't worry about it much.

Just keep and eye on it and see if it is happening every time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazycatwmn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s been itchy scratchy twitchy for 1 1/2 years now on and off. Ive posted about it before
Repost from health cat allergic to everything

ive scrubbed my house top to bottom. I let the window open all day. I used different laundry detergent. I had the carets professionally cleaned. I’ve changed dish soaps. Every time I’m home i watch her eat and get most on camera.
i have her on Nutro beef chunks it’s one of the few she ‘can’ have according to her allergy report.
I just started tcfeline raw food she won’t look at it.

AND NOW THIS ROLLY BACK CRAP!

I think she has that feline hyperesthesia

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
She’s been itchy scratchy twitchy for 1 1/2 years now on and off. Ive posted about it before
Repost from health cat allergic to everything

ive scrubbed my house top to bottom. I let the window open all day. I used different laundry detergent. I had the carets professionally cleaned. I’ve changed dish soaps. Every time I’m home i watch her eat and get most on camera.
i have her on Nutro beef chunks it’s one of the few she ‘can’ have according to her allergy report.
I just started tcfeline raw food she won’t look at it.

AND NOW THIS ROLLY BACK CRAP!

I think she has that feline hyperesthesia
One of my girls used to do that, but in the opposite direction. She'd start out low and stand up as she peed. Found out she was having joint pain when she squatted.
Has she been checked for joint/back pain or arthritis? Being allergic to a lot of things could make her deficient in some nutrients.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she does have it - which, from what I understand, can't actually be diagnosed - it is a matter of dealing with it. You can try cat calming products (excuse me if I have forgotten that they were noted above or in the previous thread). You can even consider giving her drugs - but, they are more for you than they are for her. The thing is that most cases of this disorder episodes are brought about by touching. No one is touching her in the litter box.

You've probably already done your own research, and have received articles about it - so here are just some more.
Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome — What Is It and How Do You Treat It? - Catster
Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome - We're All About Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazycatwmn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She only does the scratchy twitchy after she eats so I assumed allergies so I got the allergy test and tried the very few commercial foods that she can have except fish because she’s hyperthyroid and nothing has changed. That’s why the cameras at her bowl to see what happens.

she doesn’t seem to ever be in pain she does everything she always has now it’s just added scratches