"normal" Cat Peeing & When To Go To Vet?

Mimitran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! This is a rather stupid question and is probably Googled a lot. My cat Oscar actually recently recovered about 3 weeks ago from what I could only assume was a simple gastroenteritis (I had actually posted here back then too, we did go several times to the vet).

He's been back to his "normal" self for the most part but I have a question about urinating for cats. I know it varies a lot-- I have a cat fountain and multiple bowls upstairs and downstairs so that Oscar has options and reminders to drink. I feel like he doesn't drink water too much though (he eats mostly dry food) compared to my previous cat.

4 days ago I noticed a normal large chunk of urine and 2 smaller-than-normal chunks. Then normal poop and pee for the next two days. Yesterday I noticed again 2 smaller than usual chunks (but not tiny) and then again this morning I noticed a large chunk with a bunch of smaller balls (varying from say 1-2 inches in diameter) of urine. He's a male neutered cat, so I'm worried about possible UTI or some kind of blockage.

He's still eating and playing fine, but would just the past 2 days of "weirder" size of urine chunks in his litter be concerning at this point? I'm trying to give him some more wet food in the diet to increase fluids.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! There's no such thing as a dumb question, I promise.
Would you be willing to talk with your vet?
The inconsistency is odd and the two smaller 'deposits' of urine yesterday are a bit concerning in my mind. Granted I might be paranoid due to my boy's history, and your vet can give you a better idea of things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimitran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Furballsmom Furballsmom for the reassurance. I am planning on calling my vet tomorrow to ask about it. He actually went to pee again in the evening and made a normal looking sized chunk, but again with a smaller clump next to it.

My only concern is that I won’t have the time to take him to the vet until Thursday. I’m just starting a new job this week so don’t have any PTO. :(

Oscar also like shoots from the litterbox when he’s done. But he’s always done that since I’ve had him (not long, 4 months). He also does meow a lot but he’s also always been vocal. When he had the stomach bug he was actually quiet.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you Furballsmom Furballsmom for the reassurance. I am planning on calling my vet tomorrow to ask about it. He actually went to pee again in the evening and made a normal looking sized chunk, but again with a smaller clump next to it.

My only concern is that I won’t have the time to take him to the vet until Thursday. I’m just starting a new job this week so don’t have any PTO. :(

Oscar also like shoots from the litterbox when he’s done. But he’s always done that since I’ve had him (not long, 4 months). He also does meow a lot but he’s also always been vocal. When he had the stomach bug he was actually quiet.
I definitely would at least talk with the Vet. Frequent unproductive visits to the litter box are usual signs of a blockage.
Dry Kibble is a sure way for Male neutered cats to have Urinary problems. I would stop all the kibble if you can. Here is good info. you should read:
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition – Common Sense. Healthy Cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat does this once in a while, most often I have put the smaller balls of pee down to excitement. He shoots out of the box too, like he can't wait to get back to what is so exciting. I watched him at first when I first noticed him doing this and he ran around like crazy and 'attacked' his toys, so i think it was just excitement causing him to feel like he had to go when he really didn't. Like us they sometimes hold it longer, so that would be the bigger ball. I would watch the total amount. if the balls get fewer and fewer, and smaller, then call the vet. my little one went frequently and cried in the litter box with no results, that's how I knew he had an UTI. The next time you are in, ask the vet how to palpate for an enlarged bladder.A big bladder means no urine is coming out, the cat is blocked, and that is a medical emergency. No urine, but no enlarged bladder, means a UTI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimitran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! I called my vet, who told me to add in some wet food and see how he does today/tomorrow. He didn’t sound too concerned because my cat is still playful, zooms and chases things and eats well. Oscar peed this evening, one normal size day chunk but also had a smaller chunk too.

I’ll keep tracking it tomorrow; but he does dig pretty rigorously in his box. Could it be that he breaks some of it up on accident while digging? He’s been tracking some paw prints of litter and litter pellets around the house recently.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought about that, that he's breaking off lumps when he digs.
Maybe if you can watch him a couple of times and observe what happens, you'll have a clearer picture of whether he's breaking up the litter clump. Good in you for being so aware!