Non Traditional Thanksgiving Recipes; Main Course

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!!
It is just going to be me and Geoffrey for Thanksgiving. Yes, it is so near us! I am thinking about recipes for a Non-Traditional Thanksgiving Meal-- Main Course for 2.. so I can have leftovers for the next day or 2...

The past few years, I have been making Chicken thighs with a Cranberry Sauce; served with basmati rice and green beans. I was thinking of something different this year.

I did look up some recipes on the Web. I printed up: Crockpot Creamy Garlic Pork Loin, Roasted Pork Loin with green beans, Parmesan Pork Tenderloin, Beef Tenderloin in a Mushroom Sauce, or Balsamic Cranberry Roast Chicken (which is similar to what I have had in the past)...

I have a bag of fresh, whole cranberries in my freezer from last year. I need to use it up, before the end of the year.. Christmas is always another option, as is New Years Day... or Eve...

Also saw a recipe for Pumpkin Risotto; and one for Balsamic Brown Sugar Carrots...

Undecided .... I am doing the dinner myself, and want it to be both easy and good.. I usually eat around 3-4pm-- so quick and easy are the things for me... I am a lazy slug that day!! Usually watch: "It's a Wonderful Life" or some such stuff.. or maybe this year, it will be:
My Big Fat Greek Wedding--- love that movie.. Have not seen it for years... and yes, I do have a cocktail.. and cuddle with Geoffrey...

What do you think?

And most important!! ANY SUGGESTIONS!!
ALL ARE WELCOME!!!

Thank you in advance!!!

I also expect to possibly be home for Christmas Eve---Stair Climbing, knee issues... and there is always New Years Day!!
So.... suggest away!! Please...
If the above recipes sound good, please let me know... and side dishes!!

Thanks again,

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This might be simpler than you're looking for, but for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas, if it's just going to be me, and I want something easy, but different from usual, I've been having the Gardein Stuffed Turk'y, with homemade cranberry sauce and a veggie. Course the Gardein products are vegan, so probably not what you're looking for. But you could substitute with a frozen chicken kiev, or something similar. And buy or make something yummy for dessert.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
This might be simpler than you're looking for, but for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas, if it's just going to be me, and I want something easy, but different from usual, I've been having the Gardein Stuffed Turk'y, with homemade cranberry sauce and a veggie. Course the Gardein products are vegan, so probably not what you're looking for. But you could substitute with a frozen chicken kiev, or something similar. And buy or make something yummy for dessert.
Thanks, but... not a a substitute turkey lover--- ((HUGS)) ... I have had the regular T-day Stuffed turkey rolls from TJ--- not al that impressed... But, thank you... That is always a possibility... ❤. 🙏

I am kind of leaning towards, the Parmesan Pork Roast, with either plain green beans, and the Pumpkin Risotto.... not sure.. Have not really coked for a long long long time......
Something different... and I have one of those teeny pork tenderloins in my freezer..... I can pick up freshly grated Parmesan cheese from the Italian Deli....

Then , it would be something for dessert.... I am kind of tired of the Italian Cookies....

What do you think?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I like the risotto idea :)
Dessert?
How about something a little different. I just made some banana donuts, the recipe made six so not a large quantity, or something that includes some of those cranberries.

Last edited:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
If your movie is “Big Fat Greek Wedding”, why not something Greek/Mediterranean inspired?
You could do herbed roast chicken, marinated bell peppers, greek salad, tzatziki (super easy to make) and/or hummus with pitas. If there is a Greek restaurant near you, maybe get some dolmades… and baklava for dessert.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The pork loin in the crock pot sounds really good. So does the pumpkin risotto. I'm inviting myself for dinner!

You could roast a bit of butternut with carrots and sweet potatoes (re Ina Garten). Just go to the grocery and buy the squash already cubed for less fuss. A bit of olive oil, a wee bit of kosher salt and some pepper. Throw it on a small sheet pan and let it roast.

Dessert? If you decide not to go with the pumpkin risotto, try those pumpkin bars in the Cookies section. You can halve the recipe easily for a 9 x 13 pan. And they freeze beautifully.