Non-Regenerative Anemia

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 6 year old boy has non-regenerative anemia. He was diagnosed today with no chance of getting better. I have a few details about the condition but not much of what to expect as his life comes to an end. Has anyone dealt with this? He is already barely eating but still drinking and using the potty. He’s very tired a lot and he started prednisone today. What can I expect? When will I know it’s time? Thank you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do not have experience with this particular issue, but...please, never on his worst day. Let him go with love while there is still some joy left, don't let there be nothing but misery and pain. Give yourself some good memories to keep, and him some to carry forward. Remember...cats do not fear death, it is as natural to them as life is, and they step so gently from one to the other, barring horrid, painful accidents or diseases. Give him his exit with that gentle grace. My heart with yours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for this kind and thoughtful response. It is very reassuring to me and I really do appreciate it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Prednisone may perk up his appetite, so you may see a return to a more normal condition. It is one of the treatments in certain cases of anemia. I would stay in touch with your vet and ask for any support or advice as this progresses. I do not have immediate experience with this condition either, but agree that you should make his life as happy as you can for as long as he seems happy and comfortable. He wants to be with you and he knows you love him and are trying to help him. Those are the most important things to him.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 6 year old boy has non-regenerative anemia. He was diagnosed today with no chance of getting better. I have a few details about the condition but not much of what to expect as his life comes to an end. Has anyone dealt with this? He is already barely eating but still drinking and using the potty. He’s very tired a lot and he started prednisone today. What can I expect? When will I know it’s time? Thank you.
I am so sorry, hugs to you and your kitty. Three of my cats had anemia, two due to kidney disease, crf and one due to cancer and being given convenia. The first two were treated with erythropoiten injections and b12 and various other treatments. One also received a transfusion from her brother, she also had a reaction to human erythropoiten maybe and we could not save her but she had many things going on such as hcm as well which she did well with for 3 years. For my girl who passed 9 days after convenia there was no hope once that drug was in her system with whatever else was going on with the cancer. The cancer was not properly diagnosed until I did a necropsy. There was no sign of anemia until after the drug, it happened rapidly and was acute.
I would ask your dvm if they know what the cause of the anemia is, there can be many causes.
Here is a link with tins if info on causes and diagnoses. It discusses regenerative and non regenerative anemias and possible causes. I would not give up on him until you have a cause and find oit possible treatments.
As for when it is time, it is an individual decision but you will know if he is suffering it is time.

VetFolio

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Prednisone may perk up his appetite, so you may see a return to a more normal condition. It is one of the treatments in certain cases of anemia. I would stay in touch with your vet and ask for any support or advice as this progresses. I do not have immediate experience with this condition either, but agree that you should make his life as happy as you can for as long as he seems happy and comfortable. He wants to be with you and he knows you love him and are trying to help him. Those are the most important things to him.
Thank you for this, it’s very comforting to me to read the things you’ve said. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughtfulness. As of this morning he’s stopped eating his crunchy food but is still scarfing up the boiled chicken, drinking water and taking the steroid. I can tell he’s unwell but his dr told me he’s not in any pain he’s just very tired and I can see that in him. He’s all purrs and putting the effort into being near me for comfort.

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, hugs to you and your kitty. Three of my cats had anemia, two due to kidney disease, crf and one due to cancer and being given convenia. The first two were treated with erythropoiten injections and b12 and various other treatments. One also received a transfusion from her brother, she also had a reaction to human erythropoiten maybe and we could not save her but she had many things going on such as hcm as well which she did well with for 3 years. For my girl who passed 9 days after convenia there was no hope once that drug was in her system with whatever else was going on with the cancer. The cancer was not properly diagnosed until I did a necropsy. There was no sign of anemia until after the drug, it happened rapidly and was acute.
I would ask your dvm if they know what the cause of the anemia is, there can be many causes.
Here is a link with tins if info on causes and diagnoses. It discusses regenerative and non regenerative anemias and possible causes. I would not give up on him until you have a cause and find oit possible treatments.
As for when it is time, it is an individual decision but you will know if he is suffering it is time.

VetFolio
I’m so sorry to hear you’ve lost cats to this disease and I appreciate you sharing your experiences and the link. It’s very helpful to me to get an idea what’s going on. We’ve done enough testing to determine it is going to take his life regardless of treatment so I’ve decided to leave it at that and let him go when he’s ready. His dr told me a few causes and said we could test to get to the root but I don’t think I need to know specifics if it’s going to ultimately kill him anyway. The progression and decline is where my worries lie and I hope it’s peaceful for him when he passes or I euthanize. Im just very hurt in my heart and trying to understand as I’ve never lost a pet to illness before. It’s so hard when you can’t fix it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have leukemia. but so far (two years) have fought off death. Just enjoy him while you can, love him even more. I give mine DMG to build up their immune systems and Life Gold on Walmart or Amazon online. I keep Delectable Lickables around when they quit eating, in the stew flavors, they will take a few licks no matter how sick they are. My heart is with you........

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats have leukemia. but so far (two years) have fought off death. Just enjoy him while you can, love him even more. I give mine DMG to build up their immune systems and Life Gold on Walmart or Amazon online. I keep Delectable Lickables around when they quit eating, in the stew flavors, they will take a few licks no matter how sick they are. My heart is with you........
I can’t imagine having two cats with this to have to deal with, that has to be really hard. I’m sorry to hear they are ill but two years since diagnosis is amazing news, you are a wonderful caregiver. Thank you so much for sharing your experience and the supplements. I’ll be looking into that. He will only eat boiled chicken now and I know that can’t sustain him. Do you have a recommendation for a nutrition supplement? Also will be buying the delectable lickables if I can find them. Thanks again and much love to you and your beautiful kits.

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Remember this...you are NOT ALONE on this journey. We are with you every step of the way. We are with BOTH of you.
Thank you so much, you’re wonderful for sharing your concern and thoughtfulness. I’ll continue to make progress reports as the days go on.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi LuxBear LuxBear !

I'm really short on time this afternoon, but I wanted to let you know that there's an online group of folks/community whose sole focus is feline anemia (and there are others too, dedicated to most feline diseases/conditions.....as opposed to general forums like TheCatSite).

They've been active for more than 20 years and have had over 2000 people and their cats as members.

I know you'll get answers for the questions you posted above from that group - and, likely more information as well. (I want to tell you as well that no Veterinarian can definitively declare a condition "terminal" without a definitive diagnosis.......and, I don't see that you have yet received any definitive diagnosis of the cause of this anemia.)

These specialized online groups look different from forums like TCS - they use email as their "operating platform". So, the appearance is different and takes a little 'getting used to'......and, I always recommend that people get a new separate email account (like gmail or Yahoo) before they apply to join a group - it makes managing the message flow less confusing and much easier.

You'll find the group here: Feline-Anemia - groups.io

Just click on the blue +Join This Group button.

Honestly, I think it's far too premature to give up on this little guy.......at least, based on what you've shared so far. Anemia can be one of the most frustrating and difficult conditions to deal with - you have support here and I know you'll find it in that group as well.

Hope that helps. I'll return as/when I can.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t imagine having two cats with this to have to deal with, that has to be really hard. I’m sorry to hear they are ill but two years since diagnosis is amazing news, you are a wonderful caregiver. Thank you so much for sharing your experience and the supplements. I’ll be looking into that. He will only eat boiled chicken now and I know that can’t sustain him. Do you have a recommendation for a nutrition supplement? Also will be buying the delectable lickables if I can find them. Thanks again and much love to you and your beautiful kits.
I make home made food for my cats with cooked chicken & chicken liver and supplements added in from this site: Know What You Feed - A Guide To A Balanced Homemade Cat Food

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi I wanted to say thank you so much to everyone for your love and support this week. Moo had a terrible morning today and I ultimately had to make the decision to help him pass. My sweet boy is no longer with us. Again, thank you all.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I wanted to say thank you so much to everyone for your love and support this week. Moo had a terrible morning today and I ultimately had to make the decision to help him pass. My sweet boy is no longer with us. Again, thank you all.
I am very sorry for your loss of Moo. It is always so painful no matter how many times we go through it. Sending ❤ Run free sweet Moo and watch over your mom/ people 💕❤🐾🌈🐈

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, friends so much for the love and kind words. It’s so nice to have this community. I’ll be heading to the Bridge section to leave a tribute sometime soon. ♥

Status
Not open for further replies.