Non-refundable deposits

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Breeders:
Do you require people to give a non-refundable deposit to hold a kitten?

Do you require a deposit once they have picked their kitten, or just to be put on your waitlist? How much and what are the stipulations surrounding the deposit?

Do you find that taking a non refundable deposit to hold a kitten lessens the amount of people that change their mind at the last minute?

TIA

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you having problems with people changing their mind at the last minute?

I don't usually bother with deposits, but I will sometimes accept a deposit of $500 if I have a specific kitten that I have matched with a family but isn't old enough to go to its new home yet. Usually it's only because the buyer asked to place a deposit...

I don't let people place a deposit just to be on a wait list, although people often ask to do that... I've also had people ask if they can pay extra to move up the wait list and get a kitten sooner, but I don't let them do that either!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never taken deposits either, and haven't had an issue until recently. On one hand I am glad the lady pulled out (she said she wasn't over the death of her other cat so it wouldn't be fair to the new kitten); but on the other she waited until a week before she was supposed to pick up the kitten (she had picked a date and time to pick up already too), and now I am scrambling to set up visits with other potential fur parents and it's all a bit of a mess.

I get that when breeding you get to deal with all kinds of people and this was bound to happen at some point, I was more just looking for information from other breeders to see how to potentially not have this happen in the future.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking deposits should help. At least that person told you she changed her mind... some people will just disappear and not even get back to you, which is really annoying!