Non-recognition woes - teeth cleaning

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my male and female inside rescue kitties to have their teeth cleaned the same day. They are about 6 years old, and I've had them both about 5 years. Both are fixed.
After we got them home from the cleaning, I let them in the same area and there was lots of hissing. I separated them 24 hours. I realize now, that was way too soon. I rubbed some pure vanilla on both, took a sock and petted them both several times. 48+ hours later, and I tried letting them in the same room together again. They seem to be ok unless one approaches the other, and one will hiss. I put a towel in-between them at that point to prevent any potential fight.
I’m pretty sure they are still sore, and still sleeping a lot. I’m trying to take it slow to prevent full on fight, but my spouse is more impatient. We both work full time, so the rest of the week we will have limited time to work with them.
It’s been tiring, we’ve had little sleep, and I’m exhausted emotionally. I almost regret taking them for cleaning. I keep telling myself that, so far, just hissing isn’t terrible, considering the traumatic experience of anesthesia and a vet visit. Nonrecognition aggression is the pits. ☹

EnelradSedir70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wvcatgal, sorry this happened to you. I have never had two cats get a dental in same day. Mostly cuz I need a room to put one in for several hours when they come home. For my 12 yo male I just took in last week - it took him several hours before he was out of anesthesia fog. Even until the next day he was acting slightly strange hissing at the other cats in house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. It’s the male that is doing the hissing today. I took them both at the same time because there was a special on dentals. Also, I thought if I take them in at the same time, they would both smell similar and lessen any issues. It didn’t work that way. 😕

EnelradSedir70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lessons learned I suppose. My guys come back very wobbly on their feet for hours after I really wonder if that’s too much anesthesia?

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if they over do anesthesia too. Update: today, the male has not hissed at the female. I can tell they are not 100% yet, but it seems the male is slowly coming around. Im not sure if taking them both at the same time lessened any no recognition aggression. I will only have to deal with this once this time around though.

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
Another 24 hours have passed. 4 days in total. They seem to be doing ok today. Walking past each other with no reactions. They were interested in playing. Girl kitty has some cough and phlegm going on. I’ve read that is normal after anesthesia and should go away after a week or so.

Last night, we clipped girl kitties nails, as we do every week. She growled at me, but she’s never done that before with clipping. So, that tells me they are still somewhat unsettled. So, I’ll keep a close eye on them for a few more days.