Non Recognition again

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow…never thought I’ll go through this yet again.
Meffy got something stuck on her teeth yesterday so I had to take her to the vet to get it removed.
Back from the vet after 1 hour, when we arrived home my other cat Meimey avoided Meffy, which is normal. Meffy keeps trying to go to her but Meimey just hissed and runs to hide. I just watched them to make sure they stayed apart.

Two hours later still like that. Not until Meimey decided to go hide in my bedroom, under the bed. This made Meffy go check. When I walked in, I must have spooked the one below so sudden growl and hisses then boom catfight!! 😩 I shooed Meffy out, shut the door.

It’s been 30 minutes, when I entered Meimey is now hissing/growling at me. I will leave her there longer but ohmy god…what has happened??
I sure hope this wont last 6 months like the previous time. Now Im getting anxieties again.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, sorry to hear that. Hopefully it won't last 6 months! That must have been horrible.

I guess proceed as you did the last time, hoping things get better sooner than later.

You could try the Ode to vanilla extract tip.

Also, though you've probably already read it, TCS has an article on the topic:
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Plus these ones:
Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Aggression Toward People | TheCatSite

Good luck. Hope things are back to normal before too long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, sorry to hear that. Hopefully it won't last 6 months! That must have been horrible.

I guess proceed as you did the last time, hoping things get better sooner than later.

You could try the Ode to vanilla extract tip.

Also, though you've probably already read it, TCS has an article on the topic:
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Plus these ones:
Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Aggression Toward People | TheCatSite

Good luck. Hope things are back to normal before too long.
Thanks. Yeah I had to separate them for now until Meimey is no longer terrified of Meffy. She’s always the victim of these redirected aggression because she’s very timid. Meffy is the dominant one.

I really hope it clears soon. Meffy is 10 and Meimey is 9. I find that as they age, they have become very sensitive after vet visits or even a stray cat outside. Years ago I could come back from a vet visit easily and they just get along. Maybe next time I should bring them both along for their yearly checkups and shots.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe next time I should bring them both along for their yearly checkups and shots.
I was actually going to suggest that, as some members find it helpful. Even if the other cat just "comes along for the ride", they at least come home smelling the same.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a blanket or something your cat sleeps on? If you do, wipe the cat from the vet with it to transfer that cat's old smell back to its fur. Cats rely on smell, and the vet visit introduces a different smell that the other cat no longer recognizes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I kept them separated last night with Meimey in her room. This morning after feeding them I left the door opened. Still a bit hissing from Meimey but Meffy just stares. Then I stepped away. I find that both gets a little anxious when I’m watching them; as if both are expecting my support 😅. So I stepped away where they can’t see me. I‘m standing by until I hear angry sounds. Meffy went into the room. Thankfully no bad sounds and she came out again. Now Meffy is doing her own thing. I’ll keep it this way for now. Meimey is still in her corner but I feel she will to get used to it and eventually come out. I’m giving her lots of cuddles to assure her.

Since this has happened a few times, I feel like the longer we keep them separate, the more anxious they become towards each other due to their curious nature. So I’ll try this way and hope it works.

rubysmama rubysmama Yes, next time it will be both out for a car ride. I actually did that in March when both had the Haws Syndrome. They came home just fine.