Non-Pate Kitten/All Stages Food- Brands?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I've been trying to make sure the kittens (almost 6 months) are getting kitten specific or all stages food wet food after someone reminded me their wet food should be kitten specific to. They get 2 cans a day equaling 6 oz. and unlimited dry kitten food during the day. Most of the pate brands I've bought luckily are all stages (Friskies, 4Health, Dr. Elsey's, Merrick). I've been keeping track of how long each food takes to get eaten by the cats, so I know what brands/flavors to buy in the future. The pates never get eaten in one sitting, but maybe within 1-2 hours, while others only half eaten after two.

The food the 2 kittens and the adult scarf down has been the nutro max adult in chunks, all 5 flavors. I did try one of the Nutro Max kittens, but it was pate and they will not eat it unless mixed with another food (pates), and still are not enthusiastic about it. I could try mixing the kitten pate in with the adult chunks. They just like the adult so much, I feel bad about not offering it. The adult chunks is in the rotation 1 meal about every 2 days.

I would like to try more chunky foods to mix into the rotation, because maybe they just like the chunks more? Chewy only has 2-3 expensive brands not in pate's for kitten specific. My price point has been under 50 cents/3 oz, although most food I've bought recently was closer to 40 cents/3 oz. Although, more expensive brands can be mentioned, so I can make a list for things to watch on sale.

Chewy does not have a filter for all life stages, which is why I'm hoping someone will have input on brands. Are there any brands you guys have noticed that are all life stages non-pate?

Thanks a bunch!

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Petco has their own brand, whole hearted, which is all different textures, and all life stages. They have minced, morsels, some pates. Lots of flavors too. Mine are obsessed with the packets of tuna and sardines. And its crazy cheap too, 67 cents a packet/can

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petco has their own brand, whole hearted, which is all different textures, and all life stages. They have minced, morsels, some pates. Lots of flavors too. Mine are obsessed with the packets of tuna and sardines. And its crazy cheap too, 67 cents a packet/can
Great, thank you! Food looks like good quality, too, with minimal not needed ingredients! Wonder if the wet food is included on their Black Friday sale for B1G50% off whole hearted brand???

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It also appears that Petco has an all-life stages sorting tool, which will be helpful! Your suggestion also helped me realize that, thank you!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although, their form function (shredded, pate) does not seem to be very detailed, because the highest category is "wet", but that is a mix of pate, chunky, etc. that is not in any other category... so looking for non-pate all life stages is still complicated on their site, haha.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chewy has two brands that are All Life Stages that I feed, and both come in pate and chunks variety. Tiny Tiger which is usually about 54 cents per 3 oz, and American Journey which is about 96 cents per 3oz, or $2.25 for 12.5 oz. These are all the non autoship prices, so they can get lower than that, especially for your first order.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy has two brands that are All Life Stages that I feed, and both come in pate and chunks variety. Tiny Tiger which is usually about 54 cents per 3 oz, and American Journey which is about 96 cents per 3oz, or $2.25 for 12.5 oz. These are all the non autoship prices, so they can get lower than that, especially for your first order.
Great, thank you! I did buy some Tiny Tiger when they were on sale. Although, the box and cans just says food for cats?? Are only certain varieties all life stages?

I see they do have feeding instructions for kittens, does this mean it is okay for kittens? Another of my brands, I think it was American Journey, did not say for kittens or all stages, but did have instructions on how much to feed kittens. If there is feeding instructions for kittens does that mean it is appropriate or are those instructions on all of their food so they don't have to customize instructions?

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s a kitten food not an all cats food (although they do have an adult version in the same flavor) but my kitten loves IAMS grain free perfect portions. The cuts in gravy kind is his favorite, I rotate through a few different foods but he LOVES that one. It’s very chunky.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s a kitten food not an all cats food (although they do have an adult version in the same flavor) but my kitten loves IAMS grain free perfect portions. The cuts in gravy kind is his favorite, I rotate through a few different foods but he LOVES that one. It’s very chunky.
Great, thank you!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great, thank you! I did buy some Tiny Tiger when they were on sale. Although, the box and cans just says food for cats?? Are only certain varieties all life stages?

I see they do have feeding instructions for kittens, does this mean it is okay for kittens? Another of my brands, I think it was American Journey, did not say for kittens or all stages, but did have instructions on how much to feed kittens. If there is feeding instructions for kittens does that mean it is appropriate or are those instructions on all of their food so they don't have to customize instructions?
I may be mistaken but I thought if it had kitten directions it was safe for all stages. Not all my canned foods state kitten feeding information on them! They have to change the calories and ingredients on each label anyways so not sure if omitting the kitten directions would be really that much extra work