Non-meowing Cats

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really a problem, especially for me. But I have two adult cats that I very very seldom hear their meows, that sometimes I forget I live with cats. Lol.

My Barley (the blond/orange) never meows, or when he does try there is no sound coming from him which is really funny. But he has a “voice” because sometimes I hear him cry or yowl especially when he is bored.

The other one, my Bourbon (grey/brown color) also seldom meows, only if I talk to her which she sometimes answers in a very small and feminine-like meow which is also very cute. Other times, she just ignores me.

But mostly, they are both quiet. When they need something, Barley gives me a soft tap while Bourbon swats me in the face or jumps on my stomach repeatedly like a trampolene.

Just sharing, and wonder if you also have the same quiet-type felines in your home.

Attachments

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Raja is the only vocal kitty out of my two and she really only has something to say when I'm not getting her dinner fast enough :rolleyes3:. Once in a while she will trill or chirp but it isn't frequent. Mizu? I think I've heard Mizu make a sound ONCE in the past year. I like to think Mizu is just to busy to be bothered to "talk". Either she is investigating something, playing with something, eating or sleeping. She will tap my hand if she wants something and I'm not focused on her at the moment. Both of the girls purr but it is very soft, almost more of a vibration than a sound. I love the names of your kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Raja is the only vocal kitty out of my two and she really only has something to say when I'm not getting her dinner fast enough :rolleyes3:. Once in a while she will trill or chirp but it isn't frequent. Mizu? I think I've heard Mizu make a sound ONCE in the past year. I like to think Mizu is just to busy to be bothered to "talk". Either she is investigating something, playing with something, eating or sleeping. She will tap my hand if she wants something and I'm not focused on her at the moment. Both of the girls purr but it is very soft, almost more of a vibration than a sound. I love the names of your kitties!
Aren’t they adorable? Sounds like you have two different characters of cats. ❤❤

My cats’ names are beverages/alcoholic drinks. I also have Whisky (who was adopted by a close friend) and Pepsi (in my home country with my kids).

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Meowing is generally a learned behavior in a human household. Either because they see the result other cats get in the household or to get human attention. I tend to take it that, in general, a quiet cat is a content cat whose needs are being met. It doesn't always work that way, especially with talker breeds like Siamese.

I know in our housemy boy used to talk all the time, he's quieted down since starting a medication for his arthritis. My mom's cat doesn't meow much unless you are slow with his dinner and my girl is if you don't pay enough attention.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Meowing is generally a learned behavior in a human household. Either because they see the result other cats get in the household or to get human attention. I tend to take it that, in general, a quiet cat is a content cat whose needs are being met. It doesn't always work that way, especially with talker breeds like Siamese.

I know in our housemy boy used to talk all the time, he's quieted down since starting a medication for his arthritis. My mom's cat doesn't meow much unless you are slow with his dinner and my girl is if you don't pay enough attention.
“A quiet cat is a content cat” - I am happy to know that most probably the reason why they are both so quiet is because I make them feel contented.

But I do sometimes miss the meow part. Especially Bourbon as she has this sweet and tiny sounding meow which is a music to my ears. When she wants something, still she doesn’t meow but swats me in the face.

Barley, I should say, is a true blue gentleman. He just waits patiently, no matter how hungry he is, he just waits. Sometimes he taps me ever so gently - no meow.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read that cats in the wild only meow as kittens to mom, and on occasion mom will meow to her kittens. Meowing by domestic cats is considered to be retained infantile behavior by behaviorists.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aren’t they adorable? Sounds like you have two different characters of cats. ❤❤

My cats’ names are beverages/alcoholic drinks. I also have Whisky (who was adopted by a close friend) and Pepsi (in my home country with my kids).
Completely different. Raja who is a little vocal is patient, snuggley and well-behaved. Mizu is silent, curious, playful and follows me constantly.
Mine are named for a drag queen and a cosplayer. :spew: I like the drink theme!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Iris, the calico, enjoys a good loud conversation. Lily, her sister, isn’t chatty, but will make mournful noises when she wants something. Mocha, however, makes the tiniest little squeaks and often, no sound comes out at all. It’s very cute.
View media item 421435

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Iris, the calico, enjoys a good loud conversation. Lily, her sister, isn’t chatty, but will make mournful noises when she wants something. Mocha, however, makes the tiniest little squeaks and often, no sound comes out at all. It’s very cute.
View media item 421435
Awwws. Yes it is really cute, isn't it. Just got to love 'em all.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
I have read that cats in the wild only meow as kittens to mom, and on occasion mom will meow to her kittens. Meowing by domestic cats is considered to be retained infantile behavior by behaviorists.
Or is it also the breed? Because my DSH meows all the time. Lol.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have nine cats, some of which are not talkers.

Our quieter cats: Fennimore rarely makes a sound other than purring. He has a noise he makes when another cat has angered him. We call it the "war cry." He also occasionally meows out me. If I hear him once a month, it is abnormal. Evangeline sounds like she has smoked a hundred cigarettes a day, which we all think is funny. She typically only meows at my husband when he comes home because she is obsessed with him. She sometimes makes noise when she finds a toy and runs through the house with it. Freya only makes noises when she is objecting to getting her nails cut, getting a bath, or when she talks to my daughter. (They are very close.) Tara is our silent meower. She looks like she is meowing, but it is nearly silent. She is very vocal when she gets a toy and carries it around, though, so we know she has a voice.

Our noisemakers:
Willow makes a squealing sound when she is excited, which is a lot. Simon makes a honking noise ALL the time! It is very loud. He does it the most when he thinks he is out of food or sees another cat getting brushed. Silas is rather vocal and makes a sort of chirping noise. He also purrs almost non-stop. He may not be the loudest, but he makes the most noise. Astrid is loud and highly talkative, as is her sister, Estella. Estella, however, has been mimicking Evangeline's weird noise. We are not sure how or why, but we all agree that she is a weirdo. (Estella is our smartest cat.)

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
We have nine cats, some of which are not talkers.

Our quieter cats: Fennimore rarely makes a sound other than purring. He has a noise he makes when another cat has angered him. We call it the "war cry." He also occasionally meows out me. If I hear him once a month, it is abnormal. Evangeline sounds like she has smoked a hundred cigarettes a day, which we all think is funny. She typically only meows at my husband when he comes home because she is obsessed with him. She sometimes makes noise when she finds a toy and runs through the house with it. Freya only makes noises when she is objecting to getting her nails cut, getting a bath, or when she talks to my daughter. (They are very close.) Tara is our silent meower. She looks like she is meowing, but it is nearly silent. She is very vocal when she gets a toy and carries it around, though, so we know she has a voice.

Our noisemakers:
Willow makes a squealing sound when she is excited, which is a lot. Simon makes a honking noise ALL the time! It is very loud. He does it the most when he thinks he is out of food or sees another cat getting brushed. Silas is rather vocal and makes a sort of chirping noise. He also purrs almost non-stop. He may not be the loudest, but he makes the most noise. Astrid is loud and highly talkative, as is her sister, Estella. Estella, however, has been mimicking Evangeline's weird noise. We are not sure how or why, but we all agree that she is a weirdo. (Estella is our smartest cat.)
Oh my Goodness! 9 cats? Wow! I have 2 living with me right now and 1 in my home country and already my world is upside down, but 9? Just wow. Imagine if they talk all at the same time? Lol.

They sound like a bunch of adorables. It must put a smile on your face when you get home and 9 cats are waiting for you. Makes me want to adopt more :)

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sound like a bunch of adorables. It must put a smile on your face when you get home and 9 cats are waiting for you.
We did not plan on more than two! (We also have a feral that claimed our front porch.) Now that we have all of them, I cannot imagine having only one or two, or even just three! Thankfully, they do not tend to all make noise at the same time! Haha!

First Row: Willow, Tara, and Simon
Second Row: Freya, Silas (who is much bigger now!), and Fennimore
Third Row: Evangeline, Estella, and Astrid

Linden, our resident feral. Even though I have never been able to pet him or get close to him (other than when we caught him and had him neutered), he makes me happy, too. (We have painted the porch since this was taken, so, please, ignore it.) He, like every adult feral I have encountered, does not meow.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats are pretty quiet. Remy's meow doesn't even have a sound. It is just a rasp and people always think he's hissing. Maisie really only meows when I take too long to wake up and give them breakfast. My last cat, Willie, was a loud mouth. She never shut up. She also had separation anxiety so any time I wasn't home she'd cry for me.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
We did not plan on more than two! (We also have a feral that claimed our front porch.) Now that we have all of them, I cannot imagine having only one or two, or even just three! Thankfully, they do not tend to all make noise at the same time! Haha!

First Row: Willow, Tara, and Simon
Second Row: Freya, Silas (who is much bigger now!), and Fennimore
Third Row: Evangeline, Estella, and Astrid

Linden, our resident feral. Even though I have never been able to pet him or get close to him (other than when we caught him and had him neutered), he makes me happy, too. (We have painted the porch since this was taken, so, please, ignore it.) He, like every adult feral I have encountered, does not meow.

They are soooooo adorable, but please between you and me - my favorite one is the one in the mid picture: the small grey tabby with big ears (Silas?). Hahaha!

Please don't tell Silas. Or the other babies. Love them all.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats are pretty quiet. Remy's meow doesn't even have a sound. It is just a rasp and people always think he's hissing. Maisie really only meows when I take too long to wake up and give them breakfast. My last cat, Willie, was a loud mouth. She never shut up. She also had separation anxiety so any time I wasn't home she'd cry for me.
Hahaha! I love how you described Willie.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are soooooo adorable, but please between you and me - my favorite one is the one in the mid picture: the small grey tabby with big ears (Silas?). Hahaha!

Please don't tell Silas. Or the other babies. Love them all.
That is Silas! He was about 6 weeks old in that picture. He is now 5 months old and getting pretty big! He the same height as Willow and Freya, but he is thinner than they are. This is him with Simon, who is 13-years-old and 12 lbs. You cannot see it in the picture, but he has lots of tufts on his toes.

My family says that Fennimore is my favorite.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
That is Silas! He was about 6 weeks old in that picture. He is now 5 months old and getting pretty big! He the same height as Willow and Freya, but he is thinner than they are. This is him with Simon, who is 13-years-old and 12 lbs. You cannot see it in the picture, but he has lots of tufts on his toes.

My family says that Fennimore is my favorite.
Now I know why. Silas looks like my Bourbon (the one in my profile pic).

I love looking at your cats. They are all so adorable looking.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
I have a little chatterbox named Bootsy who speaks her own language. It’s all peeps and squeaks and chirps. Never a meow. It is like having a little R2D2 running around.

View attachment 265888
Haha! At least you don't need to go anywhere else to have your own R2D2. Adorable, isn't it? My cats also chirp and thrill, especially when they get excited, but I do miss their meows. But then again, probably it is better this way so as not to cause any complaints from the difficult neighbors.