non dust kitty litter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sure there are hundreds of posts about kitty litter, I've tried so many different brands, I started a list. Every brand seems to leave a fine dusting over my black cat's paws. I just cringe thinking of her ingesting that dust. Pretty much all the brands that say no or low dust, there's still that film on my black girl.

I used to use Arm & Hammer Super Scoop for millions of years with my first black baby, I never noticed her paws being covered in dust. When Okocat came out & all these other "no dust" litters came out, I rushed to buy them only to be disappointed. I even have a bag of Equisicat pine pellets which many people talk about, guess what? tons of dust at the bottom of the bag! I felt the need to wipe off my cat's paws after coming out because she was totally covered.

Have you experienced any cat litter with no dust? Anyone that has a dark colored cat could see it & you have to be aware enough right after they get out of the potty, not when they run or lick it off.

Thanks

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t found a dust free litter and I don’t think it exists, and I’ve checked I think all natural kinds. Imo grass litters have the least amount of dust and that’s what I use for my asthmatic cat, either SmartCat brand or Petco’s brand SoPresh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven’t found a dust free litter and I don’t think it exists, and I’ve checked I think all natural kinds. Imo grass litters have the least amount of dust and that’s what I use for my asthmatic cat, either SmartCat brand or Petco’s brand SoPresh.
Yeah I have 3 bags of SmartCat right now & she had dust on her paws when she came out. I really liked the Petco brand, maybe I should go back to that, it was a lot like A&H or so I thought.

I guess it's an impossibility. I wonder what the health consequences are to ingesting all this litter.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always use Petco Sophresh. That's what I first brought home to my cats, they liked it, and I kept buying it. Not much dust to speak of with that brand.

My cats spend time trying to vacuum down any possible thing they could eat lying on the floor, piglets that they are. I suppose the dust from the litter pales in comparison to what odd stuff they eat.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it's an impossibility. I wonder what the health consequences are to ingesting all this litter.
I’m convinced that dust from clay litters is the leading cause of feline asthma. Breathing this stuff is definitely not healthy for humans, so how damaging it must be for cats, they are so much smaller.. I don’t even want to think what ingesting clumping clay litter may cause. I prefer using natural litters for that reason, without any additives that cause clumping. But they aren’t perfect either :(

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m convinced that dust from clay litters is the leading cause of feline asthma...
Dust from clay litter and silica is proven to be bad for everyone's lungs- feline and human alike.

I tried Oca Cat for a few weeks. It's a big improvement over clay litter. Less tracking, less dust and cleaner rugs through out the house.

I never noticed any discoloration of Belle's black paws or anywhere else when using Oca Cat. It was a major improvement over clay litter in every way.

Lately, I've been using "Sustainably Yours" which is a white, soft powder made from corn and cassava starch. It clumps quick, controls odor naturally, has almost no dust and I've never noticed it on Belle's fur. It's also the easiest to clean of all the litters I've tried. It costs more and more litter is trapped in the urine clumps than other litters, but it works very well and is healthier than a lot of other litter types.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we must have tried every kind on the market and there is no litter that is completely dust free ... I am more concerned about the litter being healthy for me, my kids and the cats to breathe in however ... clay litter is NOT good for the environment or to breathe in , some of natural litters can have spores or mold from storage or have caused us allergies, silica litters are also bad for the respiratory system so we ended up with Oko cat wood litter ... clumps well, cats like it ... tracks everywhere BUT I know it decomposes and I have zero allergies with it plus ... licking up wood dust or even ingesting it ... isn't as bad as some others... and ... mice, bugs and such don't try to eat my wood litter when it is stored in the garage ( like they did with corn based litter)

Last edited:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you by any chance tried Dr. Elsey's cat litter? I just bought it for the first time and noticed a huge difference in dust compared to Tidy cats and Frisco litter. While there is a small to large dust cloud when I pour the latter, the Dr. Elsey's barely had any dust cloud. It was much, much smaller.

This is the one I'm talking about:
DR. ELSEY'S Precious Cat Ultra Unscented Clumping Clay Cat Litter, 40-lb bag - Chewy.com

They also have a respiratory relief one that's more expensive, although this one and the one ^^^ claim to be 99.9% dust free so sounds like they should be the same dustiness:
DR. ELSEY'S R&R Respiratory Relief Unscented Clumping Clay Cat Litter, 40-lb bag - Chewy.com

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to America Litter and local pet shop house brands. All has dust. Now using Odourlock and this had no visible dust. But it's very fine particle and clumping be in big sizes as compared to America Litter.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I use Chicken Crumbles (non medicated) purchased from a farm feed. it's the same as World's Best Cat Litter, but a HECK of a lot cheaper for a larger bag. It does have some dust, nothing like clay litter's dust. But it's all natural corn, and I am not worried about my cats licking it off their paws.

soleiil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment, so the litter dust was a lot more noticeable due to the small space. I tried multiple brands of clay litter but there was always a fine layer of dust in the floor. I tried paper litter but the cats didn't take to it. I used wood pellets which was a lot better than clay, but still dusty. I ended up using the Tidy Cats breeze system since it was the only litter that was 100% dust free. But not all cats like the pellet texture.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to America Litter and local pet shop house brands. All has dust. Now using Odourlock and this had no visible dust. But it's very fine particle and clumping be in big sizes as compared to America Litter.
Update. The OdourLock while not smell is not cost effective. First the liquid tends to slip through to the the bottom but it still clumps but in bigger pieces. So end up I need to top up in couple of days. Its light material, does not stick to fur but will track out as medium size cat moves out. Not sure if I will go back to America Litter which is slightly dusty but clps more quickly

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you by any chance tried Dr. Elsey's cat litter? I just bought it for the first time and noticed a huge difference in dust compared to Tidy cats and Frisco litter. While there is a small to large dust cloud when I pour the latter, the Dr. Elsey's barely had any dust cloud. It was much, much smaller.

This is the one I'm talking about:
DR. ELSEY'S Precious Cat Ultra Unscented Clumping Clay Cat Litter, 40-lb bag - Chewy.com

They also have a respiratory relief one that's more expensive, although this one and the one ^^^ claim to be 99.9% dust free so sounds like they should be the same dustiness:
DR. ELSEY'S R&R Respiratory Relief Unscented Clumping Clay Cat Litter, 40-lb bag - Chewy.com

Yeah I have, Precious Cat left a dust film all over my clothes (I had the box in a closet) & Respiratory Relief - the dust was all over my black cat the first time she came out of the box. If I can see it on my black cat that's too much dust for me!

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Chicken Crumbles (non medicated) purchased from a farm feed. it's the same as World's Best Cat Litter, but a HECK of a lot cheaper for a larger bag. It does have some dust, nothing like clay litter's dust. But it's all natural corn, and I am not worried about my cats licking it off their paws.
Yeah I've read about chicken crumbles, have yet to try it for myself. Everyone totes on pine pellets from the feed store, which is identical to Equisicat & I just bought another bag to try it & I hate it. I won't be buying it ever again, I made sure to write a note so I would remember.

VioletReaver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use the Breeze litter system for my cats. I had a friend who visited Japan and was impressed by their cat litter, and the Breeze is the closest I've seen to it in the States.

There's a popular youtuber that made a video where she shows and talks about the litter systems she uses in Japan:

It's not a clay litter, and it's non-clumping, so it has no dust that I've been able to see. It features a disposable sort of 'pee pad' in a tray below the litter pan; liquids pass through the pellets and into the pad, and solids stay on top. I've found it to be really good at concealing odor too so long as you scoop it often.

Unfortunately it's neither cheap nor good for the environment with all the pads. I've heard stories of people using another litter or absorptive material in place of the pads with success, though, so it could be an option!

(And if anyone can purchase something like this in another country, I'd love to know!)