non-clumping litter question

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea where to put this question, but here goes. I found an open bag of non-clumping clay litter that has a very strong perfume scent to it. This bag goes back to the last time we had snow -- maybe 15 years. I don't usually buy scented litter, I try not to. Do you think this litter is okay to use, or should I get it out of the house with all due speed?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I think it depends on the interaction of the litter components and the ingredients they used for the fragrance over time, and/or whether the fragrance ingredients aged safely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
since the original bag is long gone, those questions can't be answered. To me this means 'get rid of it.' That I can do. Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, get rid of it. If you have litter that is currently working, don't 'rock the boat'. However, it is probably still good for things like soaking up oil spills, or maybe even as something to dissolve ice for better traction in a driveway, sidewalk, deck, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got it for ice slicky stairs. For the box we use clumping. The strong scent was disturbing. Not really expensive enough to hang onto, but having thought about it, I began to wonder. I must have bought scented, what a strange thing to have done.