Non cat related life advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If anyone is still watching this thread I'd like to give an update because I got so much good advice!
I'm almost done with my animal care course and in three weeks I'll be done with uni.
I already got two job offers, I'm not interested in them but they're options if I can't find anything else. Next Monday I have two appointments with places I'd like to work. One of them being a combination of working at a petting zoo with children and a care farm where troubled youth get help (not like the creepy troubled youth industry ones in america don't worry).
I hope I get that job because it seems like a lot of fun!
I'm still not fully sure what I want in the future but I've decided to take it one month at a time and to just start somewhere and see where it takes me.
Thanks again for all the good advice. If I get the job I'll post it here :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So tomorrow I'll be turning 24! And I've noticed that there seem to be more older people on this forum than younger, maybe young cat ladies aren't as much of a thing lol?
I have a question for anyone who kind of knows what they're doing in life. This year I'll be done with University and I will have to go look for a job. I don't really like my job options though. I always thought I knew what I wanted to do but the more I look into my job options the more depressing and heavy they seem.
This is my second time around in uni so I can't really do anything new because that would be too expensive. And to be fair I don't really know what I want to do with my life either. Everyone around me seems to have it figured out and know what their dream job is. I just don't know, there's nothing I can think of that wouldn't make me sad or bored in the long run. So I guess my question is how did you all know what you were going to do when the time came to it? Everyone keeps telling me "you'll know it when you know it" and "you'll figure it out eventually". I said that too 4 years ago and then 3 and 2 years ago. But now I only have until june to figure it out and I just don't know!
I also used to say I'll stay home with the kids and clean and stuff because to be fair that seems pretty fun to me. So I didn't focus that much on finding my dream job. But now with recent politics and climate change I don't even know if it would be fair to bring children into that.
I seem to be in a quarter life crisis or something 😅
I've not finished reading all the replies ( I will of course) but I just had to reply as " young "cat" or " animal ladies are most certainly a thing- we weren't always older,we were once 5,16 and 24..... now after spending our entire lives working ( some in some form of animal care - others not but passionate for animals) we now have " time" to pass on to others our life experience- besides,the internet wasn't even " a thing " when many of us started- lol

I'll share with you that at age 24 I was earning degrees for a profession that was pretty much chosen for me and did know one thing - It was NOT what I wanted to do with the rest of my life-finally working as a licensed professional and pretty miserable

You don't have to know what you want,you have to see opportunities when they present themselves and be willing to "try" each one on for yourself..... my Dad gave me wise advice,after footing much of the bill for my education as I turned to him to say" it's not where I want to be Daddy,I want to care for animals,not people" - and I felt so guilty I'd disappoint

My Dad said" Babe,the majority of hours you are awake your entire life will be spent working- you better love what you do" and the burden was lifted,I knew what I love

Still,didn't know in what capacity- but I seized every opportunity that came my way- from training horses to continuing study in animal behavior I was certified to apply behaviorist knowledge to hands on skill- an internship presented itself at the Bronx Zoo and I took it- did well with the big cats and was recruited by different wildlife organizations-I always volunteered with cat & dog organizations and met a woman who got me positions training K-9 and then service dogs- back to big cats with a Florida Panther program

The point is,I love animals and took every opportunity to explore every avenue and one of the perks is there's plenty of money to make if you do plenty of work!

Im always the horse trainer it's my first love -a certified behaviorist is not a high paying profession but training and Healthcare is..... you don't have to choose ONE thing,how do you know what you love doing if you don't try it? But by all means,work hard at whatever you do

Later in life I went on to assessing small animals (dogs & cats) and getting well paid to teach others how to resolve behavorial issues- the point is that all youve learned along the journey can be applied and all that experience serves you and others well......

I encourage you to attain knowledge of everything and anything you have interest in and keep your heart ,mind and soul open to what presents itself to you...volunteer where & when you can,you do get what you give ( mostly,lol)❤❤❤

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Retired, and never had a clue what I wanted to do. I think a lot of people don't, they just sort of drift into something.
Do what you want, how you want and when you want as long as your not hurting anyone. Everyone I know earns retirement. I spend my time helping friends and relatives, not because I have too but because I want to. I give cats homes because its no fun being on the street alone. But to someone who is young I say, learn what you want to learn but never stop opening your mind to things that interest you. The world for the most part is neither good nor bad, like most people there are some that are bad, some that are good and most are in the middle.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man said Michele and I did without a lot of the nicer things, like new vehicles or fancy trips to exotic locations; we just worked and saved, but the upshot is that even though retired, between income from those savings and Social Security, my income almost matches that from when I was working. It's not always easy to do, but saving and investing is insurance against hard times in old age.

We have done the same thing. It is not easy but you need to have priorities and be prepared for any unexpected occurrence. It only takes one accident or illness and you could be wiped out if you don't do this type of planning in advance.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man said Michele and I did without a lot of the nicer things, like new vehicles or fancy trips to exotic locations; we just worked and saved, but the upshot is that even though retired, between income from those savings and Social Security, my income almost matches that from when I was working. It's not always easy to do, but saving and investing is insurance against hard times in old age.

We have done the same thing. It is not easy but you need to have priorities and be prepared for any unexpected occurrence. It only takes one accident or illness and you could be wiped out if you don't do this type of planning in advance.
Even with all that planning(& insurance) can wipe you out financially with one illness,take it from me because it happened BUT even though I do have a home ,had I not invested in my future Idve been homeless on top of being broke!

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even with all that planning(& insurance) can wipe you out financially with one illness,take it from me because it happened BUT even though I do have a home ,had I not invested in my future Idve been homeless on top of being broke!
Yep does happen even with planning, sometimes things are a hope and a prayer. I have seen people who were in pretty good shape financially that lost everything. You can only do what you can do. I always say There for the Grace of God. Many feel it can't happen to them but of course it can even with planning .When my dad had cancer they went through thousands even with insurance and watching spending.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm always so afraid of the financial things! I know I'll be getting double hip replacements and possibly knee surgeries in the near future, somewhere between 25 en 30 years and I'm now 24 years old. I have to build up enough savings for at least 2 years of not being able to work. But I had a good job interview today! Hope to be hearing something soon.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm always so afraid of the financial things! I know I'll be getting double hip replacements and possibly knee surgeries in the near future, somewhere between 25 en 30 years and I'm now 24 years old. I have to build up enough savings for at least 2 years of not being able to work. But I had a good job interview today! Hope to be hearing something soon.
I wish you well in your future endeavors and surgeries as well. I had two very complex orthopedic surgeries when I was 13 years old six months apart, more when I was older. Then I tore my rotator cuff in my right shoulder taking care of my mom. I was out of commission with that surgery because I have limited used of my left arm.
I share your worry as it is a lot and very scary
I am happy you had a good job interview. My thoughts are with you♥