Noisy cat feeders?

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kind of a two-fold situation. I have two cats and one of them is apparently going deaf (she’s 5). I used to use a carousel type auto feeder and she used to be able to hear it and go trotting off to eat. The feeders were outside my bedroom but I listen to white noise/fans at night as I am an extremely light sleeper so I couldn’t hear them.

Anyway, about a year ago she started sitting in bed with me, pawing at me, meowing, etc to get me to feed her breakfast instead of going to her feeder. We’re in a new place that’s a split level as opposed to single story but the feeders were still pretty close to the bedroom upstairs. She’d get anxious and watch for my other cat to take off to eat and strain to hear but she wouldn’t leave until I got up. And when she’s downstairs with me she has NO idea the feeders have gone off (I can’t hear them either but the other cat seems to know). I know part of her problem is she doesn’t like to eat “alone” without me there but without an auditory cue it doesn’t even dawn on her there might be food in her bowl. The issue being the other cat eats everything.

I’m thinking if I can find a really loud brand that might help. Both cats are usually upstairs when I’m not home and definitely upstairs for breakfast regardless.

Anyway, any ideas about a good (noisy as sin) auto feeder? I love the idea of the microchip one but I need something that can feed multiple times per day. Or ideas on how to wean her off of my presence which I suspect is a contributing factor? - she was just as bad as a kitten but I thought she’d grown out of it until the past year. I’m considering trying to put the feeders in my bedroom but they’re so loud…and wouldn’t help if she’s downstairs. Argh.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure if you've already tried this one, but the CatMate 5-serving carousel is pretty noisy. It used to wake me up every night in my bedroom and then I was like lol why am I keeping it in my bedroom??? It's in the living room now and my cat usually goes there to wait for it a little early. Sometimes she just hears it and heads over. She definitely hears it when she's in the same room, it's pretty loud. She sometimes can't hear it in another room if the air conditioners (so loud) are on. Are the overnight feeders set to the same time of day/night? I'm wondering if you're able to rely on her body clock knowing when it's time for a snack.

Edit: maybe you can try a cheap quiet feeder (like the clamshell opening ones) in the bedroom? Maybe she'll smell it if it's during the night?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions! I have the PetSafe one. The timers are the same day or night and they usually get 1/2 cup spread out through the day. You’d think her body would inform her but no, she currently relies on either the other cat or me. She doesn’t even realize she can sit by the feeder when she’s hungry and it will eventually open.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You might get one that drops the dry food. The one I got, when the kibble drops I can hear it across my apartment, plus it allows you to record voice. Mine is plastic, but I'm sure if you found one with stainless bowls it would be even louder (I did see a feeder that dropped for 2 cats at once).