Noisy Breathing

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody

My Cats are litter mates. Two years old. They haven't lived with me until a few months ago as I was homeless. Since living with me I've noticed that both have noisy breathing but no other symptoms. It's definitely not snoring, i can hear the difference and it happens when they're awake too

I took them to the vet who didn't seem too concerned. She said that the breathing was only slightly noisier than she'd like and it's possible it could be Asthma. I haven't noticed them struggling to breathe, there's been no attacks thank goodness, they seem I'm perfect heath otherwise

Should I be getting a second opinion? The vet didn't do any tests, just examined them and listened to their breathing. She mentioned some blood tests if any other symptoms arose which hasn't happened, but I still feel quite anxious about it. I should also mention that they aren't vaccinated yet. I wasn't able to register them with a vet as I was homeless bit Buddy is neutered and Jasper is due to get neutered in two weeks. My vet said that after the neutering, I could Vaccinate them

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You can definitely get a second opinion if it makes you more comfortable. Most cats are very silent breathers. If your cats are brachycephalic or close to it, then they tend to breathe louder than most cats.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you have to go through being homeless. I pray you are in a much better situation now. t is good that you have your cats now. You obviously care for them a lot.

What type of "noisy breathing"? Is it wheezing? There is a possibility that it could be asthma as your vet said.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's Difficult to explain as I'm hard of hearing but there's a noise when they inhale though it doesn't sound like wheezing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I don't think this is related but just in case. Sometimes when buddy lies down, he has one paw out straight in front of him. He didn't appear to e breathing any differently and seems content. Is this normal for a cat to do? I feel like im worrying about every thing now

KrissyMaddie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is a noisy breather too! Sometimes it sounds like he's snoring. We've mentioned it to the vet and they weren't concerned. His lungs sound normal. His first vet guessed it's like a deviated septum! Obviously if it sounds concerning or worsens, or even acts up after specific activities, speak with the vet. But Glenn is 6 and is just loud when he's relaxing!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
My one cat is also a noisy breather. My vet is also unconcerned. She's listened to her breathing on multiple occasions and thinks shes' fine. I think it's a remnant of herpesvirus or something like that cause sometimes she gets a runny nose and watery eyes too. It usually gets worse after a stressful event. She's been much better lately though. Sometimes using a humidifier will help if it's due to a virus.