Noises Your Cats Are Afraid Of

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As a kitten Yoshi wanted to fight anything with a motor. He'd chase the lawn mower from window to window. Sit in front of the dishwasher and growl while it was running. When I vacuumed he'd get between my feet, run forward when I pushed it and back between my feet when I pulled. It took so long to vacuum. At about 2yr he became scared of the vacuum and hides in the basement until I put it away.

Sqeeker is afraid of any loud or unfamiliar noise. He really hates any cel phone ringing, even on TV. He yowls when he hears one. We changed our ringtones to music and he's ok with that.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vacuum cleaner. All head for the hills. I've read it's the sound, but also the vibration on the floor that they hate about it.
Various cats of ours hate thunder, fireworks, rain, hail, opening garbage bags with a shake, a broom sliding against the floor, dropped objects like keys or books, TV's that are too loud, and one cat hates the sound of a slammed door.
They ALL like the sound of the fridge door opening though :lol:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything loud I can think of, even the sound of a door suddenly being opened freaks them out. My husband and I cannot even raise our voices to each other anymore. We sometimes joke that because of our cats, we are no longer allowed to fight. :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vacuum cleaner. All head for the hills. I've read it's the sound, but also the vibration on the floor that they hate about it.
Various cats of ours hate thunder, fireworks, rain, hail, opening garbage bags with a shake, a broom sliding against the floor, dropped objects like keys or books, TV's that are too loud, and one cat hates the sound of a slammed door.
They ALL like the sound of the fridge door opening though :lol:
Lilith does not like rain or thunder. Sophie couldn't care less about either. I've been letting them go out back in the screened in porch and they like it a lot. They were out last night and it started raining. Then the thunder started. Lilith immediately started hollering to come in. I knew she would so I opened the door. Got yelled at some more as she was coming in of course. Sophie wanted to stay out. The rain brought out the frogs who were jumping onto the screen so she investigated them (through the screen of course). She came in a little while later.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Car engines and loud noises he’s never head before. The fear of loud noises is *Only* valid if it’s made by someone outside of the household. He’s warier when strangers make noise.

he completely ignores me when I try to scare him, lol...

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t be know that Krista is frightened by any particular noise. But any sudden noise could startle her for a moment as it would for me too. She doesn’t want the vacuum near her. But she will watch me vacuum safely from a perch off the floor. She doesn’t like lawnmowers or leaf blowers. But I don’t like lawnmowers or leaf blowers. I think we just both prefer they not be so loud. Or not exist at all. Nothing really sends her hiding or away.

But....

On the flip side, she comes running into the kitchen anytime I run the garbage disposal. The only thing I can think is that perhaps in the two years of her life before I rescued her from the shelter, she lived in a home that fed her wet opened by an electric can opener and that the garbage disposal somehow reminds her of that. I was thinking about this earlier, and she’s really too sweet and too confident to not have been with another family before me. Whoever did the socialization with her did an outstanding job.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm incredibly lucky to have two cats that aren't fazed by thunder, fireworks, or the vacuum. Stevie is practically fearless, I haven't seen her spooked by anything other than sudden loud noises (something falling out of nowhere, etc.) The one thing that Gizmo is afraid of is aluminum foil. He even knows what drawer it's in now so if you open it, he preemptively bolts out of the room!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rather than list the usual "frightening sounds" here are some unique between greg and arnold.

Greg hates the coffee grinder, arnold is irritated by it but won't leave the room.

Arnold hates the jingle of keys and will run, greg is unfazed.

Greg hates any high pitched whining noise, ie a leaf blower 500 feet away, a truck transmssion reving high; arnold ignores it.

Arnold will run from the sound of a plastic garbage bag being opened. Greg doesnt care.

Greg will literally damage the hardwood floor as his claws scratch the surface when running from a sudden loud noise. Arnold will look and prepare to run, but assesses the situation first.

Greg flees the kitchen if the dishes are being put away......arnold sits in front of the cupboards and demands food.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lilith does not like rain or thunder. Sophie couldn't care less about either. I've been letting them go out back in the screened in porch and they like it a lot. They were out last night and it started raining. Then the thunder started. Lilith immediately started hollering to come in. I knew she would so I opened the door. Got yelled at some more as she was coming in of course. Sophie wanted to stay out. The rain brought out the frogs who were jumping onto the screen so she investigated them (through the screen of course). She came in a little while later.
Our two boys don't even like rain. If they're shut in a room, they hide.
One has hyperesthesia and the other has had problems in the past with ear mites/infections so I wonder if his ears are more sensitive.
I think if given the chance, Baby Girl would go out and try to sucker punch the sky for thundering and ruining her day :lol:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snowball is afraid of
The Wind
Thunder
Hard rain
Vacuum cleaner
Loud noise outside
We've had a lot of construction projects here over the years, and I always feel bad for the cats the day we break ground. I always find them hiding with big pupils, but after a week or so they ignore it. After that, I've seen them from outside in the windows, like they just have to see what is making so much racket.
One of our ex-barn cats (now house cat) was so into construction he'd stick himself in the middle of any project he could. I have so many pictures of this cat poking around building materials, laying on plywood over sawhorses or sleeping in a backhoe scoop and just being cool about it. His bravery made me nervous so that's why he's a house cat now :thumbsup:

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bodhi doesn't like the coffee grinder. Sometimes he freaks when I use the vacuum cleaner. He'll leave the room I'm cleaning. He's ok with storms and thunder and lightening. He's ok with outside loud noises for the most part. He doesn't like when dishes are banged around in the sink either.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monday’s and Friday’s are the landscaper days. Probably other days too. It always seems they’re being loud and obnoxious.

This morning the leaf blowers came right to the door while Krista was trying to nap. She sat up and gave the door a murder look and then looked to me like, “can’t you do anything about this?” Right there with you, babe. I’d ban them if I could.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had a lot of construction projects here over the years, and I always feel bad for the cats the day we break ground. I always find them hiding with big pupils, but after a week or so they ignore it. After that, I've seen them from outside in the windows, like they just have to see what is making so much racket.
One of our ex-barn cats (now house cat) was so into construction he'd stick himself in the middle of any project he could. I have so many pictures of this cat poking around building materials, laying on plywood over sawhorses or sleeping in a backhoe scoop and just being cool about it. His bravery made me nervous so that's why he's a house cat now :thumbsup:
This has nothn to do with the post...but just wanted to say I like the Cartoon Character look on ure profile picture....:lol::)