Adult Cat
Purraise
I think about 5cc got in. It hurts her too much. :/

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you sure about the dosage? Just exactly how much were you told to inject? I give my cat monthly B-12 injections, but it is only 0.25 ml (equal to 0.25 cc) with a 25-gauge needle and it takes all of 10 seconds or so to administer. It is quick and normally my cat doesn't even react, although on occasion she might make a sound as the needle goes in.

Most cyanocobalamin is provided at a 1000 microgram/milliliter concentration; there are higher concentrations but even then, I have never heard of a dose larger than 0.25ml.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was just a bit less than half of an insulin syringe (orange cap). I chose this syringe because it's the smallest and thinnest gauge I could find. She doesn't react to the needle but to the B12 - which I've at times myself also experienced it as somewhat uncomfortable.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It was just a bit less than half of an insulin syringe (orange cap). I chose this syringe because it's the smallest and thinnest gauge I could find. She doesn't react to the needle but to the B12 - which I've at times myself also experienced it as somewhat uncomfortable.
So, you don't actually know the amount or the needle gauge? Although, I believe an insulin needle is typically 25 gauge, but the syringes themselves come in all different sizes, and most of them have orange caps. I would suspect a too large of a dose might be uncomfortable.

Did a vet or vet tech show you how to administer B-12 injections?
how to give B-12 injection to a cat - Yahoo Video Search Results

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The syringe is 1cc - she received approximately 1/2cc - or a little less than that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That sounds better! But still might be a bit too much. I don't know if that would cause the discomfort you say she is experiencing.

I presume you are not refrigerating the fluid? If so, you don't need to and maybe that would help with alleviating any discomfort. The only other thing I would suggest is going back to the vet and ask them to do the injection in front of you and see how she reacts when they are doing it. If they notice it is uncomfortable for her, perhaps they would be willing for you to try giving her an oral B-12 supplement instead.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi M missbliss .

Is it at all possible that you were given B complex, and not B12 ?

Injectable B complex does sting......B12 does not.

(I don't intend to be pedantic/difficult....it's just that, in the past, you've said you're in the 'boonies' and have difficulty getting supplies....could it be that something unintended slipped through?)

If you need/could use a reliable reference point for all this, there's the "Tanya's Guide..." coverage. Dosage, dosing frequency and product concentration are noted there as well. Details matter!

missbliss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds better! But still might be a bit too much. I don't know if that would cause the discomfort you say she is experiencing.

I presume you are not refrigerating the fluid? If so, you don't need to and maybe that would help with alleviating any discomfort. The only other thing I would suggest is going back to the vet and ask them to do the injection in front of you and see how she reacts when they are doing it. If they notice it is uncomfortable for her, perhaps they would be willing for you to try giving her an oral B-12 supplement instead.
It's not refrigerated. Could be she is just sensitive. IDK.