No stripes, one stripe, two stripe, new stripes.

FreyaTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We recently got our cat shaved, mother could no longer stand the fur shedding all over, and since she's an indoor cat, it was inevitable, so we got her shaved at the local vet, where they did a good! She's nice and soft and has a pretty little lion cut now. I'm just curious about one thing. Where did the stripes come from? When Freya had long fur it was just your regular blue bi-color, no stripes, but now she's shaved she has stripes all over on her blue, and it's not from the razor, as she has stripes that come up along her tail and almost all the way on the underside of it. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have any pics showing her whole body before she got shaved? It's hard to tell from what I've seen (just watched your adorable catbox opening vid :heart3: ), but I suspect she has very subtle stripe/tabby markings that don't show through the fluff and length of her full coat.

Most solid colored cats are the result of a recessive gene that suppresses the tabby pattern. Sometimes the tabby pattern is not totally suppressed, so you might see indistinct "shadow" tabby markings in certain lights even on a solid black cat.
(from Cat colours FAQ - www.fanciers.com).

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What gorgeous markings! :love:

It looks very much like she has that recessive tabby gene to me - so her skin is tabby but it doesn't carry through into her fur.