No sign of cat mating behaviour, is this normal?

Minminn20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m a new breeder, Tica registered with two active Tica registered cats and two active Gccf registered cats. They have all been health tested, vaccinated.
Two cats are 1 and a half and two are 1. I’m applying for a Tica mentor but in the meantime if I can get any advice that would be great.
I’m not expecting and litters soon but I expected the cats to be trying to mate or playing. They all seem so uninterested in each other and I’m thinking if it’s just because they are young. They are all from different breeders. I have two male studs and two females. If anyone has any experience it would be great to hear experience.
I’m worried if none of them are interested in each other. I don’t see any difference in behaviours that my breeder talked about when a female is in heat. As all my cats are very affectionate and attention seekers. No spraying, I do separate them but they all get along so well and don’t even try to mate that they now just all stay together like friends. Does anyone know why this could be.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What breed are you working with? Some of the larger breeds take longer to mature than others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minminn20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What breed are you working with? Some of the larger breeds take longer to mature than others.
Thankyou for the reply, They are all Maine coons.
So will mature later than other cats, but when do you start to notice mating behaviour.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your mentor should be someone you’ve known for several years, often met through showing, who’s views and ethics match your own. Not a stranger matched over the internet.

Generally the breeders of your girl will mentor you, they should not be selling entires with no assistance, nor is it ideal to jump in with 2 stud cats and zero experience.

If you’re not noticing any behaviour changes, calling, rolling about, then she’s likely not in heat. Are there any silent callers in the lines? We’ve found our silent girls run in lines but you can still see signs.

your younger 12 month olds are only just at the right age for HCM echo’s and hip checks, unless you’ve done them already so they shouldn’t be mated until done.
They are likely all too immature, it’s also not unheard of for girls allowed around the male when not in season to not want to mate with him at all.

Minminn20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your mentor should be someone you’ve known for several years, often met through showing, who’s views and ethics match your own. Not a stranger matched over the internet.

Generally the breeders of your girl will mentor you, they should not be selling entires with no assistance, nor is it ideal to jump in with 2 stud cats and zero experience.

If you’re not noticing any behaviour changes, calling, rolling about, then she’s likely not in heat. Are there any silent callers in the lines? We’ve found our silent girls run in lines but you can still see signs.

your younger 12 month olds are only just at the right age for HCM echo’s and hip checks, unless you’ve done them already so they shouldn’t be mated until done.
They are likely all too immature, it’s also not unheard of for girls allowed around the male when not in season to not want to mate with him at all.
Thanks a lot for the advice,
I will consider what you said especially about the mentor.
From your experience do you think it’s better to separate your males and females or just continue to let them live together until?.
X

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course the sexes need to be kept apart, that’s basic cattery practice. You need to know who has mated, and when, at a time that’s suitable.

what are your goals as a breeder? There’s a lot more to breeding that just putting cats together to make cute kittens, Maine Coons have enough substandard breeders already.

I would neuter your cats, spend the next few years showing them, networking with other breeders, learn the breed standards, gaining friends & mentors, learn all about cattery management, raising litters etc and then look into getting a breeding girl.

Minminn20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply but no I won’t be neutering them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m a new breeder, Tica registered with two active Tica registered cats and two active Gccf registered cats. They have all been health tested, vaccinated.
Two cats are 1 and a half and two are 1. I’m applying for a Tica mentor but in the meantime if I can get any advice that would be great.
I’m not expecting and litters soon but I expected the cats to be trying to mate or playing. They all seem so uninterested in each other and I’m thinking if it’s just because they are young. They are all from different breeders. I have two male studs and two females. If anyone has any experience it would be great to hear experience.
I’m worried if none of them are interested in each other. I don’t see any difference in behaviours that my breeder talked about when a female is in heat. As all my cats are very affectionate and attention seekers. No spraying, I do separate them but they all get along so well and don’t even try to mate that they now just all stay together like friends. Does anyone know why this could be.
Its not unusual cats living as friends together (or where the female has a much higher rang than the male), arent interested in each other sexually. Which is a luck for the everyday life.

The trick is; when its their time, you take them into an especial mating room. So they understand there is supposed to happen something unusual.
So a sparsely futured room; some water, some food, a basic litter, a couple of laying places. Somewhere for the male to leap up immediately after the mating.. Dont stress on, let it take time if so is.
Some cats wants to be undisturbed when they shall mate. Some few vice versa; they begin for sharp first when one of their humans in there... Most are somewhere inbetween.

If this doesnt work out; you may alway change favors with another breeder, ie you exchange studs with each other. (this is btw always a good idea if you want to have several litters from the same femal; there is no big point to produce several essentially identical genetical individuals)

Minminn20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its not unusual cats living as friends together (or where the female has a much higher rang than the male), arent interested in each other sexually. Which is a luck for the everyday life.

The trick is; when its their time, you take them into an especial mating room. So they understand there is supposed to happen something unusual.
So a sparsely futured room; some water, some food, a basic litter, a couple of laying places. Somewhere for the male to leap up immediately after the mating.. Dont stress on, let it take time if so is.
Some cats wants to be undisturbed when they shall mate. Some few vice versa; they begin for sharp first when one of their humans in there... Most are somewhere inbetween.

If this doesnt work out; you may alway change favors with another breeder, ie you exchange studs with each other. (this is btw always a good idea if you want to have several litters from the same femal; there is no big point to produce several essentially identical genetical individuals)
This is very good advice, I have now separated the males and females, when I notice any female is in heat I will put a male I choose with her in my special separate room I made for mating.
I think this is best even though my breeders I purchased my cat from leave there studs in the house like I do and they have no problem.
Just my luck that both my males don’t like any females!