No poops post amputation.

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old Charlie just lost his front right leg on Thursday. (Today is Monday). He came home on Friday evening, and I took him back to the vet on Saturday night at 3 am because I was so worried he hadn’t pooped or peed yet. The vet said he peed while he was with them for the surged but hadn’t pooped. So that was 3 and a half days with poops. And just a day and a half with out peeing. I was very worried.
On Saturday I took him in bc he seemed like his belly was irritated and as soon as I brought him in they told me he peed. He stayed over night and I was informed he pooped a lot. He came home Sunday 11:30 am. He peed his bed at 5:30 am that (Monday) morning and hasn’t since (been 12hours).

I’m not sure how often a cat should be peeing and pooping. He won’t go at home I don’t know what to do. I’ve called the vet at least twice a day with some concern now and am just looking for help elsewhere. He’s been eating and drinking enough to sustain himself. About half a cup of water a day and half a cup of food, throughout an entire day. He also is on some pain meds, and a bladder spasm medicine as well. Can anyone ease my mind or offer any good advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old Charlie just lost his front right leg on Thursday. (Today is Monday). He came home on Friday evening, and I took him back to the vet on Saturday night at 3 am because I was so worried he hadn’t pooped or peed yet.
The vet said he peed while he was with them for the surgery on Thursday Friday, but hadn’t pooped. So that was 3 and a half days without poops. And just a day and a half with out peeing. I was very worried.
On Saturday I took him in bc he seemed like his belly was irritated, I was concerned about a urinary blockage and as soon as I brought him in they told me he peed. He stayed over night and I was informed he pooped a lot. He came home Sunday 11:30 am. He peed his bed at 5:30 am that (Monday) morning and hasn’t since (been 12hours).

I’m not sure how often a cat should be peeing and pooping. He won’t go at home, I don’t know what to do. I’ve called the vet at least twice a day with some concern now and am just looking for help elsewhere. He’s been eating and drinking enough to sustain himself. About half a cup of water a day and half a cup of food, throughout an entire day. He also is on some pain meds, and a bladder spasm medicine as well. Can anyone ease my mind or offer any good advice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
So he pooped yesterday, is that correct? It'll take a little time for his digestive system to build up more poop again.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did he get opiates during/after surgery? They cause constipation quite often. How much has he been eating?

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he did get some a lot of pain meds. I assume the one was opiate. Bupenorphine. Maybe I’m a little over stressed about it.

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To; kittenMittens

Yea he did poop yesterday. Only at the vets office though. Not in my house yet.

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
whoops, I signed my last reply to kitten mittens but I meant it for fur balls mom. Oh well I hope you can all follow. I’m new to the site.
He’s eat few big chomps of treats, half a small chicken breast(one of those ‘treats’ that’s just a whole piece of meat) and about 2 tablespoons of shredded wet food in broth. And maybe 60 ml of water.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but I meant it for fur balls mom.
No worries :)
I think you should be seeing him poop in the next day or so, as long as he's not straining overly much while he's in the litterbox.

I’m not sure how often a cat should be peeing and pooping.
He's been through a lot so he won't be back to normal quite yet, but do you recall what his litterbox habits were before this?

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly now that you mention it I really don’t. I have two cats, one who poops all the time and Charlie, I just don’t really recall. Perhaps he likes his privacy. But I would like to add that we’ve Gone another 24 hours without peeing or pooping. I’m less concerned about pooping. I even got him in a big crate last night for sleeping, with a low litter pan inside. He mostly laid in it. There’s a second litter box in the room outside the crate. He showed some in streets in it this morning at 5 am. But at last, he didn’t commit.

No worries :)
I think you should be seeing him poop in the next day or so, as long as he's not straining overly much while he's in the litterbox.

He's been through a lot so he won't be back to normal quite yet, but do you recall what his litterbox habits were before this?

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He peed I’m so thankful. He used the litter box twice yesterday. He also fell both times after, in two different size boxes. No poops but I’m hoping for one today. I actually woke up with a new problem today, and your very helpful maybe you could check out my new thread I just posted
How are things now?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you put his litter boxes into large/oversize storage tubs, with an entryway cut out? He can use the tall sides to lean on and keep his balance until he learns his new normal of being a tripod baby :heartshape:

minnie's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bupenorphine is an opiate and can definitely cause constipation. My girl Minnie took some time getting back to "regular" litter box habits after she was under anesthesia. I just assumed it was because of the fasting and stuff beforehand, but she's also on bupenorphine so that could have contributed. My vet said as long as she pooped within 72 hours she was okay.

Side-note: have you tried plain pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)? That might get things going if he's constipated.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Don't know how I missed this, having an amputee dog. In our case the same thing happened after the surgery and it was the opiates which were responsible. Fentanyl patches can be very bad for this and I actually removed my dog's myself, taking things into my own hands, returning it to the hospital the next time we went. In his case, his lack of urination was so pronounced that we were actually loading him into the car for and emergency run back to the hospital when he peed.

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tmr morning will make 5 days of no poops, he’s been off the beuponorphine since Sunday. I’ve been giving him pumpkin in his food last night and today. and increased his water intake. He’s peeing twice a day now. How long is too long to go without pooping!! I don’t want to have to give him a laxative, the vet will probably suggest miralax. I read olive oil , any suggestions ?

minnie's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tmr morning will make 5 days of no poops, he’s been off the beuponorphine since Sunday. I’ve been giving him pumpkin in his food last night and today. and increased his water intake. He’s peeing twice a day now. How long is too long to go without pooping!! I don’t want to have to give him a laxative, the vet will probably suggest miralax. I read olive oil , any suggestions ?
Poor kitty! After 5 days I’d definitely check in with the vet.

Pumpkin is supposed to be a natural laxative. I’ve never read about whether olive oil has laxative properties in cats, but I did have an incident where Minnie got covered in it (long story) so I know that it doesn’t hurt them!

Good luck! :goodluck:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am wondering about a fecal impaction which can be managed by your vet. Don't use Fleet enemas on cats, if you are inclined to do anything at home as they contain sodium phosphate and can trigger a massive electrolyte imbalance.