No more Fresh Results litter!

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Grrr! Walmart has done it again- I go to buy litter today and there is no more Fresh Results Corn Cob Litter! They replaced it with 'Litter Maid Premium Corn Cob' which has a picture of the fresh results on it! It is scented and has a different texture though. Not cool at all!

Does anyone have another corn based ( or plant based) unscented litter that isn't killing their wallet?

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course they stop making what you love, right?  Why is that always the way?

Those specialty litters are always going to cost more I suppose.  How much do you pay for how many pounds?  I pay $11 for 40 pounds of clay litter.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  $5.50 for 40 lbs of Pellets  no odors, safe if ingested ie/ licking paws

very little tracking if any.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We would get 10 lbs of the fresh results for a little less than $7. That 10 lb bag would last about two weeks for our three cats.

One of our cats had a urinary blockage and during his recovery we figured out that clay was causing skin irritations and pellet type litters were not acceptable to him. Personally I have allergy issues with most of the scented litters. Between the two of us we don't have many litter options.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check Amazon. That's where I've been buying Fresh Results crystal litter. Also keep an eye on the prices because some days they're normal and some days they're crazy high, or at least the crystal litter is like that.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, but look at the price!!!!   $18.95 for 10 pounds?  The Fresh Restuls was like $5.99 to $6.99 a bag.  Check eBay.  There's a Natures Miracle Corn Cob clumping litter for $15.95 (most are more) with free shipping.

greypaws

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yes, but look at the price!!!!   $18.95 for 10 pounds?  The Fresh Restuls was like $5.99 to $6.99 a bag.  Check eBay.  There's a Natures Miracle Corn Cob clumping litter for $15.95 (most are more) with free shipping.
Well I didn't say it was cheap, just that if the OP really wants this particular litter, that is one place it can be ordered from 

And yes, I agree, it stinks when you find any product you like and it is either 'new & improved & now not acceptable to us ' or discontinued.

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have switched to Blue Buffalo walnut litter. Switch has gone smoothly so far and the price should be decent as long as we catch the sales right.

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are very happy with Blue Buffalo walnut litter. Great choice for a plant based, unscented dust-free litter.

tiamia-atl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I made the same disappointing discovery at my local Walmart the past couple of days and just got off the phone with one of their managers who confirmed it!  I absolutely LOVE Fresh Results and, like you say, that Littermaid litter is NOT the same, not light and fluffy like Fresh Results and it has a strong chemical scent, whereas Fresh Results smelled fresh and clean, like cedar shavings.  I wonder if Littermaid's corn is organic and as good a quality as Fresh Results.  The Fresh Results litter has completely different texture and kept their litter box so clean - didn't stick and I could flush the clumps with no plumbing issues.  I change out my cats' litter box completely twice a week and scoop 2-3 times a day.  I like a clean house and my 2 kitty-girls like a clean litter box.  You can order Fresh Results through Chewy and others for home delivery, but it's 3-4 times more expensive! I'll keep looking for a store that carries Fresh Results. PetSmart and Petco do not carry.  Petco told me to try Pet Supplies Plus as they carry more off brand products.  Will let you know if I find Fresh Results there.

tiamia-atl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used the Blue walnut litter for 3 years for my 2 cats, Tia and Chloe, but switched to Fresh Results because the walnut litter coated everything with a fine brown dust, which made a MESS of my white baseboards and stuck to the walls - everything - in the "cats" bathroom.  It also was in the air of my entire apt. and caused Chloe and me to cough and wheeze -- we both have asthma.  That walnut litter is a "natural" product, but it is NOT low dust and it's MESSY!  I find the corncob litter much healthier and cleaner, so continue the hunt for Fresh Results - but I'm not paying $18.95 a bag for it!  

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tia-MiaALT,

I agree completely with your assessment of walmart's new corn litter. 

We ran into some hiccups and we are reevaluating our decision to go with the blue walnut litter- the cats seem to dig forever in it. When they dig too much they break up other clumps that are already in the box. I found that I had to empty the entire box after less than 2 weeks. We put out a second box of swheat scoop and we will make a decision in a couple weeks time. 

Also the walnut litter bits are really hard when you step on them!

tiamia-atl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply, Pisces 7386.  I'm a Pisces as well - this "ole cat lady" turns 66 on Monday  Me-ouch!  ;-)  I just now "gave my 2 cents" on Walmart's website.  When scooping the cat's litter box this morning, I could see that the LitterMaid product is a poor substitute for  Fresh Results, no fluffy texture, doesn't scoop as well/clean.  I worry that their sourcing may be from a lower-grade corn that has been chemically treated or not handled/stored properly.  Just read that if corn is not stored properly in silos, it can retain moisture and develop molds that can make you sick and kill your cat if they ingest enough of it when licking their paws or inhaling the dust.  I'm hoping Walmart will see the light and bring back Fresh Results. There are a lot of upset cat lovers complaining on Walmart's website about the removal of  it from their shelves. 

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we have decided to go with Swheat Scoop multi-cat rather than the Blue Buffalo walnut litter. Here is my Blue Buffalo Walnut vs Swheat Scoop comparison. 

What is it- Walnut vs Wheat. I guess the big concern here is that the wheat could be a more serious allergen, but when I was doing an initial search on the brands I saw more comments about the walnut irritating the cats. I also tried to figure out what, if any, other things are in both litters. Swheat scoop says 100% wheat- but why are there different varieties if they are 100% wheat. I imagine there are things added to make them different, but I see no reference as to what that is. Blue only says 100% natural and made from walnuts. They also have different varieties, so I have the same questions as to what else is in there. I have to say though, the walnut bits were really hard when I stepped on them.

Color- The Blue is very dark brown, which blends in well on my darker carpet, but also hides the color of urine if that is something you are trying to monitor. The swheat scoop is very light tan color- I would suspect any pink tinges would be easy to see.

Clumping- Blue claims that it forms harder clumps than leading pine, corn and wheat litters. I disagree. The Swheat Scoop litter forms much harder clumps much more quickly than any litter I have used (I may not be remembering the clumping clay litter all that well because it was many years ago). The blue walnut clumps crumbled when the cats dug in the litter and fell apart with the most gentle scooping.  

Smell-Neither litter has a very strong smell on its own. After less than two weeks with the Blue Walnut litter we needed to clean the whole box because of a strong ammonia smell. We are about three weeks in with the Swheat Scoop and I do not smell anything. I cannot say whether one or the other does better covering feces smells. 

Dust- Both litters are relatively dust free. Neither was an obvious problem for me. 

Price- The Blue Walnut is initially slightly cheaper per pound, but the Sweat scoop lasts much longer without needed a full box change. I think in the long run the Sweet scoop will be cheaper, although I don't think it will compare with the price of the Fresh Results from Walmart.  

I hope this helps! 

Last edited:

tiamia-atl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for such an excellent analysis!  ;-)  As mentioned, my local Walmart has stopped carrying Fresh Results and this was confirmed by 2 of their managers.  The Littermaid product is not nearly as good at controlling odor as Fresh Results and I can't flush the clumps down the toilet without it clogging.  On the other hand, the Fresh Results clumps were very easily flushed and I never smelled any odor unless the cats had just used their litter box.  So... I am looking for another litter.  After reading your thread, I am going to give Swheat Scoop a try this weekend as I clean out their litter box every weekend.  Tia and Chloe say "thank you!" for the tip and we'll let you know how it goes (no pun intended, of course!)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would caution you about the Swheat Scoop.  It's hyperallergenic.  I loved that the box was so light and it was easy to scoop, but Nat sneezed all the time until I switched back to clay.  

tiamia-atl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, Ginny.  That's good to know as I have asthma and so does Chloe.  She takes 5 mg. prednisone every other day.  I will have to bite the bullet and pay $18-19/bag for Nature's Miracle as I understand that is the same litter as Fresh Results.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nature's Miracle is a very good brand.  I just use plain unscented clay litter.