No more Christmas tree

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We have just finished renovating the basement
.  But now we are trying to find a place for everything that has been in storage since the beginning of February.  One of those items is the Christmas tree.  It is a nice 7 foot tree and I do love it all decorated, but I have to face a reality that I probably can't put it up again. 

I usually wait a couple of years before attempting a tree with new cats in the house.  But Kiefer (Don't Chew That) is almost two and he shows no sign of stopping his habit of chewing and eating everything that has a string. 
All of the blinds had to be replaced with ones that don't have hanging cords.  All shoes and sweatpants with laces must be put away in the closet right away.  We've been on poop patrol so many times. 

Ornaments and the tree "needles" wouldn't last with him.  I don't mind the destruction as much as the worry about Kiefer having to need surgery.  So I'm coming to the realization that the tree should probably go.  I'll hold onto the ornaments as they don't take up as much space.  He has a big job of being cute to make up for this.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand how that is. Years ago when I had Max, I did the tree with all non breakable stuff, no lights.  He didn't bother the tree itself.  I wouldn't want a cat eatig stuff and needing surgery either.  Let it go.  You can always pick up one later at a thrift store or somewhere if he outgrows his chewing habit. 

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL, yep, I get it. We had an artificial tree up this year for the first time in years and it was knocked over repeatedly, all of the bulbs were pulled off and it just looked BEYOND "Charlie Brown" by the time Christmas came along.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Totally understand. While mine don't chew on not, they pull the ribbon off, climb it, smoosh the branches and make huge holes in the tree. I can't even get the ribbon started going around the tree before Simon is pulling it off....I have to tie it in on in the back and he still manages to wreck it.

While I'm not eliminating the tree, I am going to down-size it this year. Maybe, if it isn't as round and easily reachable by sitting on the sub-woofer he can't mess with it. :vibes:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, I think I'd be lost without a Christmas tree. We have seven cats and I know it's really difficult to deal with them in the tree all the time. Most of our cats are now geriatric, but we do have Mollipop and Tabby and they're kittens (well, young cats) yet. Tabby especially loved the tree (it was her first Christmas tree last year) and loved taking the ornaments off the branches and batting them around the house. Molli was still young enough that she had a good time with the tree, too. Neither of the girls, though, messed with light cords or anything like that, so we were lucky. I was upset that we couldn't put the Tacky White Tree (TWT) in the kitchen, but I knew that was just asking for trouble.....I knew I'd come home from work and find broken blue balls on the kitchen floor and I didn't want to take a chance that the cats would cut their paws on glass shards. Maybe this coming Christmas, I'll be able to have the TWT in the kitchen again.