No, it really has gone from friendly interactions to one cat bullying the other

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After three months my original cat, Willow, and my new cat, Dude (both middle aged cats) were being friendly, even showing sighs of affection and playing together, and we shared some truly adorable moments with the two of them.

She's been very friendly with Dude until recently, dominant, but cheerful and not at all aggressive, just pushy.

But over the last coupleof weeks it's really deteriorated. Seriously. There heven't been any fights, but that's because Dude is very submissive and backs off or runs away. Willow is obnoxious, constantly chasing him and whacking his rear as he runs, lurking by the balcony cat flap and whacking his head when he tries to come in, jumping on him, and blocking him at the top of the stairs. She stares at him all the time. It's as though she's become obsessed with him. He now avoids her much of the time.

We have high spaces for Dude, separate bowls and feeding areas, separate litter boxes. We have three Feliway Friends around the house. We try to give the cats the same amount of affection.

Everything was going so well. A month ago I was predicting that these two would become real friends and was really happy with the situation, really confident that we haad two very compatible cats. But now I feel like I need to do something, because it's getting worse. Today has been particularly bad. I think she must be harassing him at night because normally they're both at my bedroom door in the morning, and this time Dude was nowhere to be seen. She's been chasing him all day and seems angry, which is totally out of character for her. She's the most cheerful animal you can imagine, normally.

One thing I've noticed is that on the rare occasion that Dude turns tables on her by playfully chasing her a few feet or tentatively swatting at her, she acts a tiny bit frightened. Also, he's very lively when he plays and sometimes when he's running around past her she acts a bit scared. Not terrified, but on the odd occasion her back fur has gone up, just a little, sort of a tentative hackle.

Just now I was playing with Dude with a wand toy and when he got tired I tried to get her to play, but she got up and literally left the room. That's never happened before.

I feel as though after several months of peaceful cohabitation she sees him as a threat all of a sudden, and I really don't know what to do.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry this happened, it must be so stressful. Could she be ill maybe? Maybe a dvm consult to make sure nothing medical is going on. Are they indoor outdoor? Maybe something outside to cause a change.

Maybe you could try to separate them and re intro also and keep them separated at night too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't want to separate them if possible. We have no way of blocking the stairs and our house is open plan. Separating them would mean locking one cat in a bedroom.

Nothing has changed around here. They're both indoor cats with balcony access. Lots of room. And Willow gets preferential treatment most of the time since she gets to sleep on the bed at night and gets evening cuddles while I read before turning out the light. It's not as though all the good stuff has transferred to Dude. Far from it -- I feel bad that the little guy is on his own at night.

Again just now, I startled Dude and he ran out of the kitchen. Willow's hackles went up and she ran away, down the stairs, as though she was terrified of Dude, and she hasn't reappeared. It's like she's on high alert with him.

A few weeks back we had a setback when Dude howled at another male cat from the balcony and that really alarmed her. I thought she was over it since they went back to being pretty friendly, and he hasn't done it again since they aren't allowed to be on the balcony once we go to bed. So I just don't know. I really don't get it. Dude is totally submissive around her.

Something's not right at all.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to separate them if possible. We have no way of blocking the stairs and our house is open plan. Separating them would mean locking one cat in a bedroom.

Nothing has changed around here. They're both indoor cats with balcony access. Lots of room. And Willow gets preferential treatment most of the time since she gets to sleep on the bed at night and gets evening cuddles while I read before turning out the light. It's not as though all the good stuff has transferred to Dude. Far from it -- I feel bad that the little guy is on his own at night.

Again just now, I startled Dude and he ran out of the kitchen. Willow's hackles went up and she ran away, down the stairs, as though she was terrified of Dude, and she hasn't reappeared. It's like she's on high alert with him.

A few weeks back we had a setback when Dude howled at another male cat from the balcony and that really alarmed her. I thought she was over it since they went back to being pretty friendly, and he hasn't done it again since they aren't allowed to be on the balcony once we go to bed. So I just don't know. I really don't get it. Dude is totally submissive around her.

Something's not right at all.
Ok. I hope you can figure it out. Maybe it was a delayed reaction to the other cat situation, maybe the other cat is hanging around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. She's still downstairs, curled up in a tight ball on the bed looking miserable. She normally sleeps on her side or back, and she's just not responding in her usual cheery way when I pat her.

The good thing about this is that Dude himself is a happy little boy and nothing seems to get him down for very long.